Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: James River Armory enfields

Originally posted by buckandball
    Are these just defarded Armisport and Euroarms pieces?
    Ben, Mark Hartman purchases parts in bulk from European suppliers, and then assembles the arms himself. This is how he is able to offer reasonably priced arms, and they still appear more or less as custom work. I know that each arm he builds conforms to a known original, as he uses N-SSA Small Arms Committee data, and all of the specs we use are derived from original specimens.

I know several arms builders in N-SSA circles who have commented on his quality, favorably, and are amazed at his prices.
    ~ Chris Hubbard
    Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
    [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Being a Marine,and extra attentive to details, Mark takes care to insure that each weapon is meticulousy defarbed and assembled by hand. The wood working alone is worth the cost of the weapon. Personally, I don't see how he can get details as good as he does at the prices he charges. And for the range, he offers a variety of options.

Regarding Enfields, I know for a fact that Mark has worked with some of the leading experts on these weapons and had access to one of the largest private Enfield collections in the world through a mutual friend of ours.He offers a wide variety of makers marks and is assembling some Enfields now using original Lock plates.

I will be taking him my previuosly defarbed ( by another highly regarded defarber) Enfield this Oct. for a better defarb.
      Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
      PO BOX 4849
      Midlothian, VA 23112
      www.richmonddepot.com
      (804)305-2968

Comment

Hallo!

"I have recently seen one of their M1861 Springfields and it is nothing short of a beautiful job of correcting ALL the Italian screw ups."

Not to be a Party Pooper, but..

How did they deal with such issues as barrel weight, bolster shape, barrel breech dimensions, barrel thickness, barrel wall thickness, and barrel taper problems to name a few?

Seriously, I have heard good things but have not had the chance to examine, evaluate, or measure any against originals.. so I am initially cautious or conservative at this point on the "ALL" part of "correcting"...
        (Not a negative)
        Sorry...

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Mr Schmidt; the one I handled had a correctly shaped stock, the lock looked correct and upon reflection I don't believe it was an Italian barrel as it had about the same weight & balance as my Miroku.

My apologies for the ALL.
          Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
          SUVCW Camp 48
          American Legion Post 352
          [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

It has been a few years since I talked to Mr. Hartman, but I am indeed aware of his military background, which he and I share and discussed once (hence my sometimes frustrating attention to detail on reproduction arms). I just have been away from things for a few years dealing with real time super-authentic immersion events, and so I am glad to hear his business is proceeding favorably.

Granted, my quest is geared not just for an accurate repro that is dimensionally and functionally correct as possible, but also shoots correctly... A couple years ago I gave up trying to glean info from other sources who primarily shoot these arms for competition since most simply recommended modern fixes for shitty repros or known distance line shooting (modify the sights). Fixing a problem with another fix, verses correcting the problem to begin with.... Call me odd, but I like shooting these arms at ranges of 100, 200, 300 yards...

Anyway, I will have to drop him a line about his Enfields. I wanted to get a feel from you fellas before hand.
            Ben Grant

Founder and sole member of the Funnel Cake Mess

Comment

• Regimental Quartermaster defarbed lockplates

I sent these guys an e-mail 2 weeks ago for a digital photo of an Enfield Tower lockplate and haven’t heard as of yet. Has any one seen the quality of their work?

Thanks
              Dave Bushmole

Comment

• Re: Regimental Quartermaster defarbed lockplates

You may want to give them a call. I had a question about their defarbed 2 band Enfields and the woman was very helpful. She didnt have the answer to my question but did call James River to get the answer for me.
                Last edited by VaTrooper; 09-19-2006, 11:45 AM. Reason: Typo
                William L. Shifflett
                Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

I would like to see photo's of the 1842 defarb. Guess there is no need to email them though :D
                  Jerry Holmes
                  28th GA. Inf
                  65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Comment

I've seen all four they make, in person. You'll have to form your own opinions.
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                    Past President Potomac Legion
                    Long time member Columbia Rifles
                    Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

His lockplates are from James River. Here's the James River website:

Marc Shaffer
                      ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

During a quick trip up to Gettysburg last weekend, i stoped to see if Regimental still had their french/belgian 42's. they didnt but i started inspecting the defarbed guns. It looks to me (having owned a james river, an a few originals) that they are doing the lockplates well and the serial number defarbing, etc. However it appears Regimental are having james river, skip the stock remolding, (althought adding cartcouche) and are skipping some small detail steps, for example the brass sight on the 1842's. If i personally were to want a JRA gun i would order it direct from the factory.
                        Most Respectfully
                        Drew Gruber
                        Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Drew,
                          I picked up an enfield from RQ earlier this year. The stock had been woderfully recontoured. Dont know about their 42's but I can definetley say that JR did a nice job on the enfields and the sprigfield I had looked at last year when I was there.
                          Cheers
                          Terry Sorchy

Comment

• Re: Defarbing advice wanted!

would you please E-Mail it to me if at all possible? Im working on mine to.
                            jrobertsga@bellsouth.net

Jordan Roberts
                            30th Georgia Company E
                            Jordan Roberts

Widow Makers Mess
                            Red Clay Volunteers

Comment

Martin:

Here is an excellent article by Geoff Walden on how to Authenticize your Enfield:

Paul Boccadoro
                              Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Craig Barry recently published The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy-Lock, Stock and Barrel. This has the watchdog project on improving the Enfield as well as many other excellent bits of info. It's well worth the $30 odd I spent on it.
                                Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                                SUVCW Camp 48
                                American Legion Post 352
                                [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
                                X