Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Blockade Runner Enfield Defarb

Todd:
    Outstanding. The boy and I will be serving the cause of the Confederate States at New Market May 18-20, can you have his Enfield done in two weeks? If not, he can use my P-53 "put together" and I will carry that very fine US 1842 you de-farbed for me last year. Either way, just let me know so I can get the right accoutrements etc, laid out.

When you do good work for a fair price, word gets out.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I'll get on his this week. I have been swamped with these things as of late along with "normal" gunsmithing stuff piling on. Plan on using the one you gave me.

Todd Watts

Comment

• Shot in the dark!!

Has anyone seen a CW documented Enfield by Ward & Sons? I am not familiar with this maker.
        Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:44 PM.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Mr. Mayo,

I believe there was a sunken blockade runner that contained enfields of that maker. When I find the name of the archaeological journal I read this information in I will let you know.

Benjamin McGee

Comment

• Re: James River

I have both a 1862 Bridesburg (defarbed M1861 Euroarms) and P53/1861 Tower from James River and can speak for the excellent quality work and attention to detail.
            On the Bridesburg, I have an original lockplate in very good condition. He marked the side of the mortise with 3 different cartouches, and the underside with another cartouche similar to the original Bridesburg contract 1861's, as well as recontouring the stock to match that of an original and changed out band springs with square ends. The barrel also has a initial marking on the side too.
            And to add, had the sling swivels riveted as well. Although they are not as smooth looking as the originals.

The reproduction Euroarms P53 I sent him was about 15 years old. Used but not abused. :D

The work done James River; stripping and reshaping of the stock, and stampings.
            Rebluing of the barrel, and bands, and replacing of lockplate/and hammer with a more accurate reproduction. The wood screws were reblued as well. They were already the flat head variety replaced by myself.

Barrel stampings were already done by Lodgewood Mfg.
            A new and more authentic rear site was purchased from Lodgewood Mfg..

When I recieved the P53 via Fed Ex, I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the wood crate. It was a beautiful! I am actually afraid to take it to the field:cry_smile
            I can say the only thing that bothered me was of course the wieght of the piece.

But my P53 did feel a little lighter.

If anybody wants some pictures shoot me a PM and I will ablige ya through email.
            I'm pretty ignorant about putting pictures and attatchments on any of the forums. Gotta work on that.

Kindest Regards;
            Last edited by FlaYankee; 05-11-2007, 12:34 PM. Reason: Forgot some things
            Harold Adams
            Co. F, 48th NYVI
            "On occupation duty in Florida"

Here we are, some with whole skins, and some not so whole. Others have been left behind. For myself, I can only wonder if there is a bone left in my carcass when I think of the wholesale carnage through which I have passed. My bruises are inward.
            Pvt. J. Haley, Co I, 17th Maine Vols., 9 June 1865

Comment

What was the time for the upgrade to be completed?

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
              23rd VA Regt.
              Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
              (Loblolly Mess)
              [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

• Never Say Never about Enfields

The general consensus among researchers has been that Enfields with British military marks are not and would have been Civil War imports. In another thread I mentioned a Sinclair-Hamilton (CS import) marked P-1853 Type II that I examined earlier this year that had British Military marks on it as well. This weekend I obtained a Sinclair-Hamilton marked P-1853 Type III that also has British military marks. The lock has the Crown/VR and the Crown/Arrow lock viewers mark. The barrel proofs are British military style and not commercial proofs. The gun is dated 1860, so there is no way it was "obsolete". While it was understandable that a Type II might have been sold as surplus, this Type III raises lots of questions. Did Archibald Hamilton divert it to CS buyers prior to it being received by the British government? Was the British government funneling arms to the Confederacy via Hamilton? This gun raises far more questions than answers. I have attached some pictures for your perusal. I'd love to hear your comments....

Before any of you ask- yes the lock & barrel and the stock go together. In fact, just about every part (including the screws) has matching assembly numbers. There is no master contractor mark, although from disassembling the gun and looking at the various makers involved, I believe the master contractor was W. Scott of Birmingham. The barrel is by Henry Clive, the stock by John Cope. The Fraser mark on the stock flat should be the stocker, but no Fraser shows up in any of my references, begging the question if it is the mark of John Fraser & Co of Charleston, SC. They were CS financiers and also handled much of the blockade shipment of arms. The "IC" cartouche is the mark that has been called Isaac & Campbell for years, but one that is now thought to be an inspector for SHC. The gun is in much better condition than the typical CS Enfield. It came from an Ohio family and was said to have been in the family "forever". The barrel shows what I believe are saber blows to it. Was this an early CS import that went home as a trophy with an Ohio soldier early in the war? If only the gun could talk!

This gun could re-write quite a bit of what we accept as gospel about CW used Enfields.
                Attached Files
                [SIZE=1]Your most humble and obedient servant,[/SIZE]
                [SIZE=2]Tim Prince[/SIZE]
                [I]Member CWDCA (The Civil War Dealers & Collectors Association)
                Member CWPT (Civil War Preservation Trust)
                Member The Company of Military Historians
                Member SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors)
                Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM
                [/I][URL=http://www.collegehillarsenal.com]collegehillarsenal.com[/URL]

Comment

• Re: Never Say Never about Enfields

Thanks for the post. Nice pictures and good info. Good research always raises more questions than it answers. My tiny question in the sea of a bigger topic is "can you tell us more about the rear sling swivel?"
                  Thanks,
                  Pat Brown

Comment

There is nothing unusual about the rear sling swivel. It may look odd becasue it got pushed up against the trigger guard when the pictures were taken, but it is the standard trapezoidal swivel that you would expect to see on most Enfields, other than RSAF made guns.
                    Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by FlaYankee View Post
                      If anybody wants some pictures shoot me a PM and I will ablige ya through email.
                      I'm pretty ignorant about putting pictures and attatchments on any of the forums. Gotta work on that.
                      I would LOVE to see some pics, and I'm sure I'm not alone. If you need help on posting them, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks!
                      John Wickett
                      Former Carpetbagger
                      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Tim,

Thanks for the great pics!! Your third pic illustrates an observation of mine regarding "defarbing":

Note the "strike" mark between tang and breech of the barrel. My hunch is that the purpose of this mark is to serve as an "indexing" line when reinstalling the breech plug. Sometimes, I've seen these with what appears to be a crown on one end. Anyway, this is one mark I've yet to see offered on a "defarbed" reproduction.

Anyone have any documentation on this mark?

Thanks!
                        Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 05-11-2007, 02:58 PM.
                        John Wickett
                        Former Carpetbagger
                        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

John,

No specific documentation, but yes I can pretty well guarantee that the mark was an index mark for the breech plug. It is interesting to note, that even among the machine made, interchangeable parts Enfields made by LACo & RSAF, the British military felt that the breech plug was always specific to the gun it was fit to, and was not an interchangeable piece.
                          Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM

Comment

John; If you don't mind, shoot me your email via PM.
                            Harold Adams
                            Co. F, 48th NYVI

Here we are, some with whole skins, and some not so whole. Others have been left behind. For myself, I can only wonder if there is a bone left in my carcass when I think of the wholesale carnage through which I have passed. My bruises are inward.

Comment

What was the time for the upgrade to be completed?

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

Paul; For my P53 it was about 4 weeks, and that was only because I had ordered another lockplate and more authentic hammer.

Now the total time for this project, started when I purchased the piece used, that was Nov. 98. After many defarbing mistakes over the years, and adding on more parts, it was finally completed last December. So it was an ongoing project for many years, including all of the research available via internet, library, private collections.

The Bridesburg was 3 weeks. I purchased the lockplate, a reference book, the musket, and some minor add on parts all seperately, and commenced with the research.
                              Harold Adams
                              Co. F, 48th NYVI

Comment

John,

Do you believe that this indexing mark was original to the weapon at the time of manufacture or possibly an indication that the weapon has had the breech plug pulled for servicing ?
                                Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                                PO BOX 4849
                                Midlothian, VA 23112
                                www.richmonddepot.com
                                (804)305-2968

Comment

Working...
                                X