The Monster Enfield Defarbing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Enfield Combination Tool

For the past year I've used the Enfield Sergeant's combination musket tool from Track of the Wolf www.trackofthewolf.com with success.

Regards,
    [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
    [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
    16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
    22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
    &
    [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
    4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Regarding the 'Y' shaped Sergeants Combination tool for the Enfield. I have seen a few of those reproduced, but I am not familiar with the 'Y' shaped Sgts tool with regards to when it was originally produced/used.
      Brian Hicks
      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

I picked up a sergeant’s tool from someone at the NSSA Nationals a couple of years ago and had some similar problems. The worm wasn’t quite right and in setting it next to an original the difference in shape etc jumped right out at you. I have purchased an extra worm from Blockade Runner and will see if that one will fit on it. I have also purchased the private’s tool from Blockade Runner and want to compare it with an original private's tool when I get home but I was curious about the Peter Dyson tool as a Sergeants tool. Coming in at 50 pounds sterling I would like to know something about it before I bought it and whether it was much of an improvement over the currently available Sergeants tool I already am dithering with.
        I am, etc.
        Thomas Gingras
        Awkward Squad Mess
        Columbia Rifles
        Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Threads are different. The arm has to be re-threaded for the right worm
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

• Re: Anyone have pics of JRA Enfields they can share?

Mike; did you get the pics I sent you via email?
            Regards
            Harold Adams
            Co. F, 48th NYVI
            "On occupation duty in Florida"

Here we are, some with whole skins, and some not so whole. Others have been left behind. For myself, I can only wonder if there is a bone left in my carcass when I think of the wholesale carnage through which I have passed. My bruises are inward.
            Pvt. J. Haley, Co I, 17th Maine Vols., 9 June 1865

Comment

Years ago Parker Hale supplied their version of the"Y" shaped sgt's tool with their 2-band Enfield and possibly their artillery musketoon. I have one, and most likely their are some floating around.

Joe Walker

Comment

The one pictured on the Track of the Wolf website looks like the one Regt QM has. Y shaped. Note the tiny worm...that's the one.
                Craig L Barry
                Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

The 'Y' shaped Sergeants Combination tool was the first model of the Sgts Combination Tool and was produced for the 1853 Enfield from 1853 to 1855, then was replaced by the 'T' shaped tool. The 'T' shaped tool went through a few Models, with each progressive model being produced with a slightly shorter central shaft piece.

With the 'Y' shaped tool being produced for only two years, and that being at the very beginning of the 1853 production, I would dare to say that it's presence over here during the Civil War might have been very limited, while the 'T' shaped tool would have been far more prevalent.

The problem is of course... no one is reproducing eh 'T' shaped tool. Only the 'Y' shaped tool is available as a reproduction.
                  Brian Hicks
                  Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

• Musket Defarbing

Pards,

Does anybody have an opinion on who is best at defarbing a musket?

Does anybody know of anyone that could defarb it over the course of an event weekend?
                    Andrew Turner
                    Co.D 27th NCT
                    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

• Re: Anyone have pics of JRA Enfields they can share?

Craig: You've sparked my curiosity. You mentioned that the problems with the Armisport's bolster go beyond cosmetics. Having only snapped a cap and not yet fired my Armisport Enfield, I am curious if you were referring to performance as well as cosmetic issues.

Also, while one could thin the snail section of the bolster, it appears that the "tail of the snail" extends too far into the "drum" area immediately below the nipple. In other words, while there is too much metal on part of the bolster, there is too little in other areas. Very frustrating.
                      C.J. Roberts

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.
                        I checked out Track the Wolf and they actually have two versions of the Sergeants tool, one that is called Parker Hale and one that is just called a Combo tool. Both are "y" shaped and the same picture is used for both. The reply I got back was that the Parker Hale tool was one of those that were produced in the 70's when Parker Hale made their guns. I have heard great things about the Parker Hale Enfield, but not so much feedback on their tool.

As for the style of tool perhaps someone more read in on the McRae papers could comment. The Horse Soldier has been known to sell both types, but with what frequency of the type I don’t know.
                        I am, etc.
                        Thomas Gingras
                        Awkward Squad Mess
                        Columbia Rifles
                        Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

I wonder...if the T-shaped tools are more appropriate over the Y-shaped tools, why haven't we pushed to have these produced? What sort of cost would be involved in producing this?

I am not advocating doing this myself, but would the community support the developement of the "percieved" more common tool type? If so, who would we work with in this project? Understanding we would need an original to copy, someone to produce the tool, and the capital to back it up.

Paul
                          Last edited by Stonewall_Greyfox; 10-15-2007, 02:16 PM. Reason: edit
                          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                          (Loblolly Mess)
                          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

I purchased a fine Enfield Tool from Tim Prince a couple of years back when they were advertised on this board. Before that I was using a Parker Hale tool that I purchased from Lodgewood many years before.
                            Tim's tool is dead on accurate and functional, which I was extremely happy about.
                            The Parker Hale tool, and very soft metal is no longer used by this party, and is sitting in a box somewhere.
                            A pard in my unit saw me using the TP 'privates" tool in the field and showed me the one he purchased from Blockade Runner. Nearly identical, except he kept having problems with the soft metal on his. Needless to say he was quite p.o.'d.
                            Nice to see that Tim made a tool that was accurate and functional!:tounge_sm
                            Hopefully Blockade Runner has fixed the problem with their gun tool.
                            Kindest Regards
                            Harold Adams
                            Co. F, 48th NYVI
                            "On occupation duty in Florida"

Here we are, some with whole skins, and some not so whole. Others have been left behind. For myself, I can only wonder if there is a bone left in my carcass when I think of the wholesale carnage through which I have passed. My bruises are inward.
                            Pvt. J. Haley, Co I, 17th Maine Vols., 9 June 1865

Comment

• Re: The Monster Enfield Defarbing Thread

I bought an Enfield from blockade runner and the defarb was excellent. Call them and ask for Todd

John Ramone

Comment

Gents,

For those of you who have been able to compare the Blockade Runner’s “Enfield musket private’s tool”(private’s tri-armed nipple wrench) with an original, how does the size of the worm compare?

I have one of the early production models. The screwdriver blade was too large to fit any of the Enfield screws and I had to file it down and re-blue it. The “pricker” or vent prick retaining screw was massively over tightened and had to be loosened.

The base of the worm on the reproduction is .55 in (1.4 cm) in diameter and .49 in (1.25 cm) in height. The diameter of the base provides a fairly snug fit within the bore and prevents using a patch in combination with the worm for cleaning the barrel. A few of us discussed this situation a while back (pre-latest crash) in regards to the difference in official firearm cleaning techniques between the British and American manuals, but the lack of access to an original to verify dimensions precluded any sort of conclusion.

So, can any of you provide measurements from an original?

Thanks,

geoffrey lehmann
                                geoffrey lehmann

Comment

Working...
                                X