Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Monster Enfield Defarbing Thread

Originally posted by LonestarRifles View Post
    For sanding the finish on the stock before applying the oil, what grade sand paper is best and easiest on the wood?
    Thanks,
    Patrick Smith

The following applies to those considering the re-working of a finished reproduction to a more "correct" finish but also holds true with an unfinished kit gun.

Try a good grade of furniture stripper first. I have had good luck with "Formby's Furniture Refinisher" but it may not work as well as some of the stronger types available at any hardware/paint store. Whatever type you use, follow the directions on the can carefully. Some modern finishes do not come off with stripper right away, especially some of the plastic or epoxy based finishes that were in use back 20 or 30 years ago but current finishes seem to be easier to remove. If the stripper that you purchase does not seem to be working the way it should, talk to the people at the store, they may be able to recommend another type more suited to your finish. When the stripper has done its work and the wood is dry you can burnish with 00, 000 or even 0000 steel wool, I usually use 00 or 000.

Best avoid sandpaper altogether when refinishing a stock, it is the last thing you want to use and should only come into play if the finish can not be removed any other way. If you have to use it, start with 120 or 150 (no courser) and work to finer grades, the 120 or 150 will remove all of the finish. You can go as fine as 320 but it really should not be necessary, stop at 220 if possible. The course grits will removed too much wood too fast and you will have an uneven mess with gouges in the surface of the wood so use a sanding block and use long strokes to avoid this problem. And remember to sand with the grain of the wood, not across it (back to front, not up and down). Try to remove as little wood as is humanly possible, too much and the surface of the wood around your inletting cuts will be reduced and the metal parts (triggerguard, buttplate and lock, band springs, muzzle cap, etc.) will stand proud of the wood and it will look like crap. Also the barrel bands will become loose if too much wood is removed. Speaking of barrel bands, sand from the shoulder of one to the shoulder of the next one - if you sand over the shoulders you will round them over and are in BIG trouble. The above can also hold true when finish sanding a kit gun, use the same grades of sandpaper.
    Last edited by ACo.; 04-04-2008, 09:48 AM.
    Thomas Pare Hern
    Co. A, 4th Virginia
    Stonewall Brigade

Comment

I have used strippers to get the Euroarms shellac finish off, but usually just opt for a Fisher scraper. I have to sand mine as I really rasp-off a lot of wood to defarb them and then use belt sanders to get the rasp marks off before then moving to sandpaper. If you are just wanting to remove old stain and apply new, you may not want the coarse grit papaers I mentioned.

When at gunsmithing school, we did use steel wool to whisker stocks. However, we were warned that sometimes the steel wool pieces get ripped out by raised grain and then can rust in the wood pores leaving brown marks there. This is not that big of a deal for a musket. But on a moder rifle stock with a mirror finish it is an issue. Just something to think about when steel wool is being used. I don't use the wool anymore on the stocks for that purpose. I don't really find it is necessary if you use really light paper and use gentle pressure.

Comment

Hallo!

The reason for progressively finer grits is the same as for polishing metal- one progressively replaces deeper and more numerous scratches in the surface with finer and fewer until the human eye does not see them anymore.

The danger of sanding already finished stocks can come from too aggressive of wood removal from areas that need to remain well defined or "crisp," the rounding of edges, and the making of straight lines such as the forestock crooked or even wavy.
        But when one is "thinning down" previously untouched oversized Italian stocks, and some wood removal is needed, abrasion does help cut through the old "plastic" Italian finish as well. (I also prefer scraping it with the edge of a knife and then retouching it with fine sandpaper.)

Curt
        Who needs to strip a mid 1980's EuroArms stock ere we speak Mess
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

To all who have contributed to this thread: I just spent the last couple of days reading every post, and I have to say that there is some excellent information here. If someone could collate it into a research article (w/appropriate references) that would be grand. To me, it was almost like sitting in on a seminar on CW weapons, both original and repro.

Kudos to those of you who shared their observations on original pieces, and especially the photos.
          [I]Melvin Scott Faris[/I]

Comment

Curt and Todd, excellent recommendations on the scrapers, most people aren't aware of that method so I generally leave it out - nothing beats a scraped finish and in the days before sandpaper became common it was used exclusively to remove tool marks and even out to a fine finish - very little need for anything else since the scraper actually cuts the wood and leaves almost no compressed "whiskers". Next we'll be explaining how to use bone to burnish wood.... :wink_smil

Curt, that mid '80s EuroArms stock will give you fits won't it? I refinished on of Navy Arms first M1803 Harpers Ferry repops back in the mid to late '70s and the plastic finish was, to say the least, very difficult to remove. Six or seven coats of stripper and I still ended up scraping it to get bare wood. Sheesh! The wood turned out to be a low grade of European walnut sapwood but stained up pretty well. I generally try not to do reproduction stock from that era unless someone really needs the help. Oh, will you be at Newville in a couple of weeks?
            Thomas Pare Hern
            Co. A, 4th Virginia
            Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Hallo!

Yes, I hate the old stocks with their 1/64 inch coat of poly... ;)
              Most strippers after repeated applications seem to just turn it white rather than soften it enough to take off. :)
              One of the "nicer" things about the modern era is that the Italains seem not to be using speckled linden (basswood) anymore and covering it with brown shoe polish before plasticizing the stocks.

And yes, I be at Newville, although for the first time in a long time, ye lads are falling by the wayside, hors du combat, in increasing numbers.

Curt
              Still making Sims Mess
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
              X