Using a Spencer for reenacting???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using a Spencer for reenacting???

The shells do not work well, and jam up alot. Besides, the guy selling them doesn't stand behind any of his products. I bought a spencer from him, and it aint worth 'beans'.. and it does not cycle shotgun shells either.

Comment

Hallo!

Originally posted by Bob Taylor View Post
      Curt
      Do you do the nssa stuff with the sharpshooters? I hear that it is fun but expensive.
      The way the article was written concerning the blanks is that they are made from 410 shells and are only brass at the base. The part that is crimped is all plastic. There is a picture in the article. Do you think that they represent a safety risk?
      Bob Taylor
      I was a member of the N-SSA's "Sherman's Bodyguard" (7th ICOVSS) for 17 years, but shot muzzleloading rifle-musket and rifle, and breechloading carbine in the main events as the breechloading repeater part was not established at that time. I was invited to join the N-SSA "Berdan Sharpshooters," a cross-over group between skirmishing and reenacting but did not go back to the N-SSA.

Yes, the .410 shotgun shell cartridges consist of the brass base and the modern red "plastic' hull portion which is cut to length.
      IMHO, when properly made and "crimped" they should be "safe" as the crimp is simply blown open upon firing.

Of course, in some ways this whole discussion is "experimental" and involves the knowledge, skill, and enhanced tools/machines to modify an existing product designed for something else, as well as to hand-make or home-manufacture modified reloaded ammunition in a safe and consistent manner.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Rev
        Was he using the 410 shotgun shells in a 44-40? or was he using anothere caliber and brass shells?
        Bob Taylor
        Bob Taylor

Comment

He was using them in a 44-40.
          Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
          Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
          Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Taylor View Post
            I know that the repro Spencers are actually copies of the 1865 version but I also know that this factor in the repros is difficult to determine without extremely close inspection and a fair bit of historical knowledge.
            Bob
            For those following the thread that may not know or want to know,

There are three quick characteristics you can look for:

M1865:
            1. 20" Barrell
            2. Has Ribs on the loading tube lever.
            3. Has "1865" to the side of the Spencer mark in front of the breach (Perpindicular to the barrel)

M1860:
            1. 22" Barrell
            2. No Ribs on the loading lever.
            3. No "1865" on the Spencer marking.

Also, there are several M1860 Spencers out there that were converted post war with stabler cut-offs, cut down barrels, and re-sleeved for the smaller caliber.

John Walsh
            FDR
            John Walsh

"Is a gentleman with a brostache invited to this party?''

Comment

So except for the post from Civilwardude22, who I have heard has a personal grudge against the author (Terry Schulz) we only have Rev’s friend that has tried it. Apparently it works but there may be some pitfalls in the system.

Rev, how long did he try it for and how many blanks did he shoot from the gun to arrive at the conclusion that it was not for him? Also did he do it the way the article explained or did he take some shortcuts that may have caused the problems he had?
              I would love to correspond directly with him can you give me his e-mail address or would you give him mine? Bobtaylor12th(at)verizon.net change the (at) to @.:)
              Bob Taylor

Comment

I have found success with the 56-50 using cut down 45-70 brass choked down the a 45 shoulder die to assist in getting the round in. I do not crimp.

I am in the process of playing with primers, though, as the Spencer does not seem to want to give enough power to fire off magnum rifle primers, but can handle pistol primers.

Anyone else having a primer issue?

-Ryan Dupree

Comment

Are you using the Spencer Infantry Rifle or Carbine? For reenacting? If so you are very limited in the imprssion you can use it for...

-1st Delaware Veteran Volunteers recieved an issuance of them after reenlistment and combining with the remains of the 2d Delaware in 1864
                  -13th Penna Reserves (42d PVI Bucktails) got them also in 1864
                  - Wilder's Lightening Brigade got them in 1863.

There are a few others but cannot remember them at the moment. If just having fun then have at it. :D
                  [FONT="Times New Roman"]
                  [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
                  106th Reg't PVI
                  Co. G
                  Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Sirs,

A pair of 'sharpshooter companies' attached to the 27th Michigan were armed with Spencers during the Overland Campaign. The one problem I have with the regimental account below is the claim that the entire regiment petitioned and was armed with the Spencer. This does not gibe with Genco's 'Arming Michigan Regiments' thesis (which is an accounting of State of Michigan regimental Ordnance (infantry, cavalry, sharpshooter and engineers) records from 1862-1865); which shows the 27th being predominantly armed with rifle-muskets. Ironically, Col. Charles Deland of the 1st Regiment Michigan Sharpshooters was at that time repeatedly petitioning Gov. Blair, Adjt. Gen. Jno. Robertson and the War Dept. to have his trained sharpshooter regiment armed with breechloaders (Sharps) or repeaters (Spencers, then Henrys) without success; as they were seen as a 'green regiment' and untested in battle. The 1st MI SS were armed with Springfield (and possibly Colt Special models) rifle muskets throughout their term of service.

Here is the Perrin/Vosper sharpshooters service described in the
                    27th's history:

The Ninth Corps was then placed upon cars and sent to
                    Annapolis, Md. At this point the regiment was joined by two
                    companies of sharpshooters under Captains Porter K. Perrin and
                    Richard Vosper. These two companies were designated as the
                    First and Second companies of sharpshooters, attached to the
                    Twenty-seventh Infantry, and served with the regiment to the
                    close of the war. The advent of these "sharpshooters," with
                    their magazine rifles (Spencer), the then new and most
                    destructive infantry arm known, was hailed with delight by
                    officers and men, for not only was the regimental front made
                    respectable in point of numbers, but the GUNS! the only such in
                    the Ninth Corps! Petition was at once made--vive voce--to arm
                    the whole regiment with "Spencers"--make them all
                    "Sharpshooters." With alacrity unusual in honoring
                    requisitions, this special was filled, and "Spencers" graced
                    the shoulders of "ye Twenty-seventh," a prominent factor,
                    later, in probable loss--certainly in artistic profanity by the
                    bearers of the once coveted instruments of death. These seven-
                    shot rifles at any point of attack or defense were "king bees,"
                    but on advanced picket or firing lines they--the rifles--simply
                    dominated the situation, as against the muzzle-loaders then in
                    general use. Often was heard, on these advanced positions,
                    such plaints as "Damn old Spencer and all his inventive staff;
                    wish they were out here weeks at a time without relief."
                    "Well, it serves us jolly well right! If we hadn't been such
                    fools as to want 'em 'cause they were new, we'd be used like
                    the rest, but we got 'em--the damned sputter guns--and by G---,
                    we'll serve 'em!" etc., etc.

For more information see: http://www.michiganinthewar.org/shar...ers/perrins.ht

Bill Skillman
                    Randolf Mess-USSS
                    Hudson Squad (150)

Comment

Working...
                    X