Cap Pouch authenticity question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need source for cartridge and cap box finials

Here is a P-1861 box with a nice round finial. It is rounder than it appears in the picture. Sort of like Charlie Brown's head in "Peanuts".This is the Godfrey box that is pictured on my web page. Sent you an e-mail with another.
    Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:27 PM.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Here's a pic of a finial from an early war M-1857 cartridge box. You can see from the groves that these were made by a lathe. Initially the finials were made with a round head. Later in the war they whiched to making them with a pointed head. Presumably this change was made because it was easier to close and put less stress on the leather tab.
      Attached Files
      Bob Clayton
      [url=http://www.sykesregulars.org]Co. C, 2nd U.S. Infantry, "Sykes Regulars"[/url]
      Honoring the proud history and traditions of the U.S. Army
      [url=http://home.comcast.net/~coffeeboiler/sykes_pics.htm]Photo Gallery[/url]

Comment

Here is a pic of the Pattern of March, 1864 box. The finial shape has been changed to resemble an acorn. The owners name, Hugh Capner of the 23 NJ, is written on the back of the shoulder strap.

This type finial also shows up on a pattern of July, 1864 box in my collection. That box has the embossed US on the flap.
        Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:27 PM.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Originally posted by coffee boiler
          Presumably this change was made because it was easier to close and put less stress on the leather tab.
          And radius turning tools can be a S.O.B. to grind. :wink_smil
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Speaking of finials, does anyone have a source for the finial seen on the Confed box in EoG? You know, the one with the "WFAD" in the flap? It appears to be some sort of post with flat head. I thought I saw this same type used on one of the box knapsacks on later pages. I wonder if this was a common pattern to use? Or if it came from a particular arsenal.

Jim Ross
            James Ross

Comment

Hello Mr. Ross,
              The type of stud you are referring to is a canvas awning nail button. This information was past along to me while doing research by Butch Myers.
              Just shows how vast the diffirent types of hardware that was used in the south. Hope this helps.

To the people that gave me praise earlier in this posting about my leathers: Thank you very much for all your support and look forward in talking to you soon.

Regards,
              Cary A. Davisson
              Last edited by ; 07-15-2004, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Mr. Davisson the canvas awning nail stud you refer to is that the one on the bottom of the Pace pack in EOG? If so would you know where to purchasse such an item. I have been looking for about a year with no luck. I own a pack very similer to the Pace pack and have wanted to reproduce it but have been unable to find that peticuliar piece of hardware.
                John Greenfield

GawdAwful Mess [url]www.gawdawfulmess.com[/url]

Comment

Hello Mr. Greenfeild,
                  Yes, that is the same canvas awning nail button/stud! I have the nail's & burr's made. The stud base is the only step left. I am finishing up the 1863 Houston Depot Box that me and Don Smith started five months ago. I'm also working on a .69 cal Elongated Confederate Box & a Atlanta Box that Joe Walker has shared with me from his collection. After these three cartridge box runs for Joe at Skillet Licker is done, I'll finish on this project for the canvas awning nail button studs. I'm looking forward to this because I've always wanted to make that box on pg. 185. I have seen two others with this type finial, one for sale on the web at one of those common relic shops (I can't remember off hand) & Mr. Jordan B. Reeves collection. Check back with me and I will send a stud or two your way!
                  Regards,
                  Cary A. Davisson

Comment

Need custom cap pouch maker

Is there anyone who currently makes or could make me a cap pouch like one shown on page 196 EOG on the horter magee belt? Also a British brunswick rifle ball bag like on page 207? Thanks, JIM HENSLEY
                    [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
                    Order of Heptasophs 1852

Comment

Re: Need custom cap pouch maker

Try Neil Rose and Brad Malone or Nick Duvall.

E, J and T Mercantile can probably do it also if provided a sample or drawings to work with.

Best,
                      Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                      PO BOX 4849
                      Midlothian, VA 23112
                      www.richmonddepot.com
                      (804)305-2968

Comment

Confederate cap box

Help.

Fill me in on Confederate cap boxes. Lead finial, brass finial, one belt loop, two belt loops, cotton stiching, What?

Cordially,
                        Sam Patterson

Comment

Re: Confederate cap box

Yes to all of the above. CS Cap boxes were made by many vendors and there are all sorts of varieties. I have some examples on this page.

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.
                          Jim Mayo

Portsmouth Rifles, 9th Va. Inf.
                          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/9va/rifles1.html

CW show & tell.

Comment

Welcome to the forum with your first post. There's a start for you with Jim's reply. You need to do some research and then come back with specific questions you can't find the answer to. General questions like yours can be answered with a modicum of research. You'll fare better here if you put some work in first and then come here for clarification etc.

It's the old adage about teaching a man to fish.
                            Last edited by Michael Comer; 06-19-2007, 01:00 PM.
                            Michael Comer
                            one of the moderator guys

Comment

Go to amazon.com and order a copy of Echoes of Glory: Arms and Equipment of the Confederacy. While that book is not the end-all of CW military equipment, it is a good starting point and good fundamental book to own. It deals with all types of equipment, but would be an adviseable starting point, in my opinion.

Jonathan Vaughan
                              Jonathan Vaughan
                              14th Tennessee
                              3rd Missouri

Comment

Jim is right, he has a nice collection of US and CS artifacts there. EoG is a good starting off point, but does not tell you exactly what you probably want to know...Michael is correct in that your question can not really be answered as it is posed. Confederate accoutrements varied in style/materials by the time period, supplier and theater of war. Try to avoid the common mistakes. IE: It would be incorrect to assume a cap pouch wasn't CS because it didn't have one large loop on the back. Not all CS cap pouches had a single belt loop. The best advice would be to determine where the unit you are portraying got their equipment, or study pictures of soldiers from that unit to the extent these details can be made out. I think this is what you want to know...what is the correct style of accoutrement for your unit/theater/time period.

You might find some even had imported British accoutrements...
                                Last edited by Craig L Barry; 06-19-2007, 01:22 PM.
                                Craig L Barry
                                Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                                Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                                Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                                Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
                                X