Ticks--The Mattress sort not the ones crawling in the mattress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ticks--The Mattress sort not the ones crawling in the mattress

To my knowledge (and I'm certainly not an expert) there are no extant USSC ticks, nor images showing construction detail. Those of us making them are going strictly on the published directions and knowledge of period technique.

I'm also just now seeing Mr Small's request for a picture of the pillow as constructed. I'm away from home now, caring for my father, and will not go off duty for another 10 days. I do have a finished one in my 'stuff for sale' box, and will take a picture when I'm home.
    Last edited by Spinster; 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Contact the National Museum of Civil War Medicine in Frederick. They have a scale "Sample" of a tick that was made and sent to the war dept. as an example of what was to be ordered for general hospitals. This thing is about the size used by a barbie doll, but is made to the exact demesions, materials, etc... that the war dept. requested, only on a smaller scale so it could be taken to meetings etc...
      Brad Ireland
      Old Line Mess
      4th VA CO. A
      SWB

Comment

Barbie doll! This is a military forum... What about GI Joe! Sorry... I could not help myself Brad.
        Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
        Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Now now--Frozen Charlotte or Frozen Charlie were the 'action figures' of the period. Lets keep our toys straight here. :p

Thank you so much Brad! I'll certainly send an inquiry for specs.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic

Comment

Sorry Paul, I have a soon to be 6YO girl. There are barbies up the wazoo here at the Ireland homestead. If only I were GI Joe on a 3 day pass....

Tell the folks at the museum I said Hi. They know me pretty well down there since I work about a block away and worked there once upon a time.
            Brad Ireland
            Old Line Mess
            4th VA CO. A
            SWB

Comment

I've recently received this inquiry--its a common question, so I'm adding it here:

Dear Mrs. Lawson
              I've read the thread that was started back in 2007, and the directions for the USSC bed tick state "Ticking, 2 yards 12 inches by 40 inches wide, sewn all around". Does this mean TWO pieces of fabric sewn together to create a tick 40 inches wide or one sheet folded in half to create a tick 20 inches wide? In my line of thinking, a 20 inch mattress would not be wide enough to lay on.

And does this same scenario apply to the pillow as well?

I do thank you.

In order to solve this problem, take off your 21st century brain and put on your 19th century brain--then get out a yardstick.

We have radically different standards of personal space NOW, as oppossed to THEN. Our sensibilities require more space. But this bedsack was not a comfy bed to waller around in, it was a health and sanitation matter to get a man up off the ground. It used straw for stuffing, a resource that was often in short supply and had monetary value. The Army was not going to be too generous in supplying such, and a big wide sack would take a lot of a scarce resource.

I am a 'portly' woman with a Pleasingly Plump Period Proportion. In modern terms, this means I am fat, and have child bearing hips. I am 21 inches across at the the widest point. This mattress would get me off the ground, even though I would hang over the sides--and its not meant for me--its meant for my grandson stepping off fresh into the army, or my son foolishly going off too.

For a number of years, the Winter of 64 event was held in a setting that provided correctly documented and built winter quarters. These bedsacks fit nicely on the bunks in the cabins, and straw rationed according to regulation filled them in an acceptable manner.

Looking to a point a bit earlier in the century, Sister and I often occupy a bed in a period cabin. We are both sizeable women, and occupy a bed that is not quite 3/4 the size of an American Standard Double--a bed modern folks don't even buy anymore. When the winter comes in, and we rely on wood we've split to keep a cabin warm enough, that little narrow bed is quite adequate for the two of us, and has held three, not counting the dog. It is 42 inches wide.

So yes, fold the fabric in half and make a 20 inch wide bedsack. Same thing for the pillow.
              Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

Resurrecting an old thread here. I have an event coming up where a bed sack would be appropriate. In looking at the USSC directions, I see no indication that the slit was hemmed, only that the ends and buttons were reinforced by the stays. Is that how others read it or am I just a complete idiot who missed what should be assumed (realizing, of course, that being right does not rule out the possibility of being a complete idiot).
                Eric Paape
                Because the world needs
                one more aging reenactor

Comment

If a selvage edge, then you don't need to hem. If it's a raw edge you would want to turn under and hem.
                  David H. Thomas
                  Starr's NC Battery
                  Fayetteville, NC

Comment

If a selvage edge, then you don't need to hem. If it's a raw edge you would want to turn under and hem.
                    Thanks for your reply. While I understand that is a common sense approach to the matter, is there any documentation as to bed sacks being made that way? After all, the USSC instructions just say to cut the slit (meaning it would not have a selvage edge) and then close it with 3 buttons with stays. Although hemming it would be a logical assumption, at this point, it is just that; an assumption. Would the stays slow down the fraying sufficiently to make it cost effective for the USSC not to hem them? Being that the USSC was a civilian venture, how much standardization was there to their manufactured goods? Could both hemmed and raw-edged be accurate based on the individual makers? Unfortunately, this is an area where my knowledge is severely lacking.
                    Eric Paape
                    Because the world needs
                    one more aging reenactor

Comment

If the search function is used- we friend this archived article: stating:
                      It's here. Page 962 has the written instructions:

BEDDING FOR HOSPITAL USE.

Bed sack of burlap or ticking, 2 yards and 12 inches long; 40 inches wide. Sew all round. Cut opening in middle 27 inches long: close with three [3] buttons; put a stay at each end of opening and one under each button. Required, 3 knots linen thread.

Pillow Sacks of ticking or crash; 16 inches wide, 3Q inches long. Leave opening in middle of one end. Close with 2 buttons.

Sheets. Linen and cotton. 8 feet long. 4 feet wide. Required, one-half skein of cotton or one-twelfth part of a hank.

Here is the Link: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...p/t-23471.html
                      Mitchell L Critel
                      Wide Awake Groupie
                      Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

If the search function is used...
                        Thank you. However, in this case the search engine has been utilized. If you note my previous posts, you will see that these are precisely the USSC directions to which I referred. The directions state "Cut opening in middle 27 inches long..." This is the slit about which I was asking. It does not indicate that it was hemmed; only that buttons and stays were used. My question is, based on any additional information, is it likely that this slit was hemmed or was the edge left raw despite any tendency to fray?

More often than we care to admit, reenacting is not an exact science; it's our best guess. I'm trying to compile as much information as possible before I make my guess. My hope was that the collective knowledge on this site would provide some.
                        Eric Paape
                        Because the world needs
                        one more aging reenactor

Comment

These items were made by 'loving hands at home'--or at least down at the church hall. While there is a suggestion in fashioning them, basic sewing conventions of the period are not written out. There's no instruction on how to seam heavy fabric, which button hole type to use, whether to use a 4 hole outerwear button or a 2 hole underwear button. It does not tell you whether to attach that button with thread , nor whether to shank it, or to use tape.

All that goes to period sewing conventions.

I have been unable to locate a publically available USSC marked tick with provenance. I will not speak to what is in private hands. What I will speak to is common household mattress ticks that I've examined. Either the selvedge is used or the opening hemmed

Period socks for soldiers made by civilian hands don't change in common structural aspects from civilian socks. The USSC also tells how to make a quilt that is simply a size specification--extant originals do not otherwise vary in concept from extant civilian quilts.

Your mileage and experience may vary. I will say that a 'stay' normally placed, will not stop a raw opening from raveling.
                          Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

Thank you. I appreciate the input from someone with more knowledge of "period sewing conventions" than I. That's exactly the kind of information I was seeking. I had previously viewed the pictures of the bed sacks you had made, but I could not make out the finish of the slit in the picture.
                            Eric Paape
                            Because the world needs
                            one more aging reenactor

Comment

Hi all,

I think we're missing a BIG idea here that is being glazed over. The USSC instructions are for bedding for Hospital Use, not bedding for the soldier to take on campaign; not something that was meant to be used as campaigning gear, rolled up, stuffed in a knapsack, restuffed with bedding material, etc.

That being said, I think the instructions are simple because they didn't want you going overboard with construction because there is a good chance the bedsack will be disposed of. The maker might not even put a button hole in, just a slit for the button to pass through. Burlap is mentioned as a material to be used, which, again, says to me that it isn't meant to last a lifetime. Think of all the things that could get on a bedsack in a hospital setting (or don't, it's kinda gross, but reality!) Additionally, how could you put a neat buttonhole in burlap?

Yes, it is, what I believe the only resource, at least I have come across, that gives any dimensions for a bedsack/ticking. So indeed, a great guide IMHO for making a bedsack for the Civil War era.

I make the size of my bedsacks the dimensions as stated in the USSC instructions. Why? If you look up the size of period hospital beds, they are just over 2yds, 12" x 40". Additionally, there is no mention of folding fabric and if you were to do so, why not fold into the center and sewing up to a point, creating the opening? Why mention to "sew around"?

My two cents and observations. As they say: mileage may vary :)

Best,
                              [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

I've been thinking about this lately. I remember reading years ago that the bedsack is a narrow thing made for a single soldier, and I thought that seemed reasonable given the parsimonious nature of the quartermaster system. I actually agree with Matt in thinking that the mattress should be wider. If my understanding is correct, the bedsacks were the property of the garrison (or hospital) wherein they reside, under the supervision of the company or post commander. They were not an item issued to individual soldiers. The regulations for the medical department specify they were to be supplied at a rate commensurate with the number of bedsteads. Would they not then have been made to the full width of the bed, a little over 3 feet when stuffed? It makes more sense to me that way. They'd use basically the same amount of fabric, fewer buttons and bindings, and only slightly more straw. Though the straw was certainly dear, it was issued (at least by regulation) at a rate of 12 pounds per man per month. If you don't change it too often, that's not bad.
                                I would like to see that "salesman's sample" to get a better notion of correct proportions.
                                Andrew Keehan
                                23 of A

Comment

Working...
                                X