Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Canvas Weight?

Hi all,

I've been wanting to make some items out of canvas, but I'm not sure what would be considered authentic. Would the 12 ounce duck from wal-mart work? If not, could anyone pass along ideas. Thanks in advance for your help.

Cody Langston
    Cody Langston

Re: Proper Canvas Weight?

It very much depends upon what you plan to make. By no means were all canvas products made from the same type or weight of material. Canvas, or cotton duck,or its lighter weight cousin cotton drill, is, like most materials, available in different weights, and can be used in the production of many different items. What you need to do is first, identify what items you would like to make, and then research through museums, available originals in private collections that may be available, or use good reference books with the item(s) detailed. I know, that is all easier said than done. Many items, like painted canvas accoutrements, were multi-layered, while other items such as tentage or flys were single layer with additional reinforcements. Perhaps if you could specify what you intend to make, some of us can weigh in on what we know regarding what would work best for you based upon our available research.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Re: Proper Canvas Weight?

I have never found cotton duck at a generic fabric store or department that matches the weave of 19th century duck.
      [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

Working...
      X