SQ2: Games of Chance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ2: Games of Chance

In a few months, the strong possibility of a number of well heeled men freshly annointed with large sums of ready cash will be ripe for the picking. Considering the wide variety of 6:1 odds games of chance out there, which one is the most effective and efficient at relieving these gentlemen of their pecuniary burden? Perhaps those who attended Perfesser Cubbison's class on this subject at Fort Ontario, as well as those who lost their fortunes at places not to be named can chime. Mr. Utter makes a fine loan shark, as I recall. Ain't that right, Lanky?

Mr. Hopkins asks me to remind you: "No sutler was involved in the posting of this thread." :p
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Re: SQ2: Games of Chance

At some point someone with time on their hands needs to transcribe the rules for bluff from a pre-'65 copy of Hoyle's.

Buffalo [N.Y.] Public Library has such a copy in their special stacks.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]-steve tyler-[/FONT]

Comment

I'd enjoy some Faro - particularly if I was the bank.

Or some American Roulette - or even Roulette de Francais if we can come up with a wheel.
      Paul Calloway
      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
      Proud Member of the GHTI
      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Paul,

Spend some time with Doug Cubbison & Co. at the White Star Saloon; however, do not fall prey to Dane Utter the loanshark. Some of the fellows heading to the great white northland, well, I shan't say too much.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

POKER, OR "BLUFF."

DEPENDS more on hazard than any other game played with cards, as it is not always the case that the best hand is the winning one; for if an adversary risks more money than you think your hand would justify you in doing, he wins, although he may have an inferior hand to your's in point of worth; whence the game is termed as above. It is played by a full pack of cards, and by any number of persons under ten.

ON DEALING.

In commencing the game, the cards are dealt one to each player, the lowest card designating the dealer. In case a tie occurs, it is decided by another deal; the ace being the lowest card, the deuce next, &c. The dealer commences on his left, and gives "one " at a time, until each player receives" five cards," being the number required. It is at the option of a player either to accept or reject a faced card ; in case the latter, it is placed at the bottom of the pack, and the card following the one faced is given him. In case of a misdeal, the " pool" is doubled, each player putting up an additional stake, the deal going to the next one on the left.

ON BETTING.

An equal stake is deposited in the "pool," which lies in the middle of the table, by each of the parties, who play on their own account. "Counters" or "chips" are generally used, the valuation of which must be agreed upon on commencing; and should no limitation be restricted to in betting, he that puts the largest number of "chips" in the pool, or bets on his hand the highest, is entitled to all that is up, unless met by an adversary, in which case an equal amount must be put up, the better hand of course winning. Should one of the party over-reach the amount that is in possession of an adversary, a "sight" may be demanded. Premiums are occasionally played, the amount decided upon at commencement of the game. A "flush" being the lowest hand to which a holder is entitled- next a " full," all the fours beginning at "deuces," and ending with "four aces."

VALUE OF CARDS.

One Pair.—Two cards of any colour being of equal value—thus, two deuces the lowest pair, two aces the highest single pair.

Two Pair is the next in value to a single pair of aces, deuces and trays being the lowest, kings and aces the highest two pair.

Three, of equal value, rank next to the two highest pair. Three deuces beat aces and kings.

A Flush, or "five cards" of the same suit, then follows, beating three aces. Should two "flushes" come together, it is decided by the one having the highest cards.

Full Hand, consists of three of equal value, and one single pair—thus, three deuces and two trays beat a "flush."

Four of equal value is the last combination. Deuces, four of which beat a " full," and rank next in value. The only two certain winning hands are four kings with an ace, and four aces; the fortunate holder of either of these can rest easy in regard to a certainty of getting whatever amount he should stake, together with his adversary's.

Should two or more hands come together of equal value in pairs, the better hand is decided by the highest side cards.

EXPLANATION OF TERMS.

Pass.—The person on the left of the dealer having the first privilege either to put a certain sum in the pool or pass his hand, and so on in rotation to the dealer; should all decline betting, the hands are thrown up, making a "double head," the one on the left taking the deal.

Call.—When an adversary wishes to meet the amount put in the pool by any one preceding him, this term is used.

Run Over.—Should you wish to bet more or "bluff" off your adversary.

Sight.—Not having funds enough to meet the stake put in the pool, entitles you to see an adversary's hand for such an amount as you have.

Double Head.—Should no one enter for the pool, the stakes are doubled the deal passing to the left.

Treble Head.—When the cards have been twice dealt, and no bets for the pool, &c., the pool always belonging to UM board until a bet is made.

Blind.—The one left of the dealer has the privilege of patting up a limited number of " chips" before raising his hand, he passing. Should a party see fit to call the blind, must put twice the number in the pool, with the privilege of running over the blind ; on coming around, the one who first entered either makes his blind good by putting up equally with the one who called, or passes his hand. Should no party see the blind, he is entitled to the pool.
          Bohn, Henry G., Ed. Bohn's New Hand Book of Games; Comprising Whist, by Deschapelles, Matthews, Hoyle, Carleton; Draughts by Sturges & Walker; Billiards by White & Bohn. Henry F. Anners, Philadelphia, 1856. Pages 381-383.
          Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
          1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
          Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Troy, you just made the Quiet Man very happy.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Drat, but that was fast work, Troy! I was going to respond with the rules from my 1867 Hoyles...but I'm at work and the book is at home.

If you are looking to make a lot of money (as the banker), with fairly low risk, try your basic chuck-a-luck. Three dice, and six numbers (1-6) to bet on, so it's an easy set-up. Get enough people playing and the poor saps end up paying each other, with the bank skimming off the occasional outright loss.

At cards, you could try "brag," which is different from "bluff" (as I recall the game). I believe Grant mentions in his memoirs that "brag" was oft-played in the "old Army." If there are any "Dutchmen" out there, they might want to try "Sechs-und-Sechszig"...although that game requires some real mental work to track of the scoring, and I am not sure it was played for stakes. I can post those rules ("Brag" or "Sechs...") tomorrow if anyone is interested.
              Last edited by Dan Munson; 11-27-2007, 12:55 PM. Reason: Needed to add a thought
              Dan Munson
              Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
              5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

If the odds aren't good enough, here are some period ways to cheat at poker:

and faro:

and how to cheat at lots more, including chuckaluck

All from An Exposure of the Arts and Miseries of Gambling, 1847

Hank Trent
                hanktrent@voyager.net
                Hank Trent

Comment

Charles,

I wonder how you solved the problem of actually getting the participants to play. As we found out at Bull Run last year... our day was soo filled up... when we got a break... no one wanted to gamble, we were too wore out.
                  Brad Ireland
                  Old Line Mess
                  4th VA CO. A
                  SWB

Comment

Chuck-a-Luck anyone? I never played...

Hows about "Viente-un" or "21"??? Or is that too French-ified for ya?

I done played that plenty!

-Johnny
                    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 11-27-2007, 04:56 PM.
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                    SCAR
                    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by cprljohnivey View Post
                      I wonder how you solved the problem of actually getting the participants to play.
                      Having dead time built into the schedule was a plus, and the dealer's talented assistant was rather easy on the eyes. Calm down boys, as she is a married gal now.
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Confederate States Congress
                        House of Representatives. - Tuesday Feb. 3, 1863

--House met at 12 o'clock, and was opened with prayer by Rev. Mr. Cromley.

Resolutions.--By Mr. Clapp, of Miss., a resolution that the Military Committee be instructed to inquire into the propriety and necessity of legislation to suppress gambling in the army. Agreed to.

Comment

Working...
                        X