SQ3: In a few months....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ3: In a few months....

...some fellers will be issued cooked rations Friday evening, and most likely will not have the opportunity to reheat them for a number of days (for a variety of reasons). Since the research has not yet revealed whether the meat in the rations was one of the usual suspects, if you had a choice between the following boiled to death meat items, which would you pick:
    • Boiled fresh beef
    • Boiled salt beef
    • Boiled fresh pork
    • Boiled salt pork
    • Boiled bacon
    • Surprise us with boiled something kinda gray, sorta gelatinous, mostly gristle and bone.

Note, the meat will be boiled, and this may or may not apply to three events in at least two different time zones next year. Like Wendy's, you have a choice!
    Last edited by Charles Heath; 11-26-2007, 05:28 PM. Reason: Sense make this did not edit until made. - Yoda
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Re: SQ3: In a few months....

To my thinking, the choice of which meat would depend on the availability and/or variety of condiments issued with it. Red pepper sauce/flakes, mustard, chow chow, vinegar, or wasabi would all make me less particular, though.

We're not even discussing side dishes yet.
    [B]Joseph Hodges[/B]

[FONT=Book Antiqua]“… and know that it was in California we learned the art of making long journeys with safety, to endure privations with cheerfulness, and to thrive under the most adverse circumstances, and these have enabled us to make strides in war which may seem gigantic to the uninitiated.”[/FONT]
    [SIZE=1](excerpt from a letter from Gen. W. T. Sherman to Governor Frederick Low of California, dated Goldsborough, N.C. March 24, 1865)[/SIZE]

Comment

Joseph,

Side dishes will likely include, and be limited to, eight hardcrackers and a scant handful of coffee beans. The latter will be available for chewing once that caffiene withdrawal headache smacks a man silly about 3 pm the next day. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, greens, biscuits and gravy are but a distant memory of Momma's table. Just a thought.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

If the documentation for this event-not-named-in-this-post is not conclusive, then "surprise us with something boiled and gray".

The pre-cooked Federal rations at Outpost 3, where I saw little in the way of campfires for two days (except when a prisoner of the Rebs) were a very pleasant surprise in terms of delectability.

Comment

Charles,

Boiled salt pork. It can be eaten any time, you can add it to any kind of starch and you can fry it later if you want.
          After receiving rations at BGR, I had the company boil up the salt pork. It sure was fun watching the reactions as it was being re-issued.
          Rob Murray

Comment

* Surprise us with boiled something kinda gray, sorta gelatinous, mostly gristle and bone.
            I thought that was your coffee.
            Rob Murray

Comment

Rob, interesting you should mention that, as our lovely and talented purchasing agent in the field just called me from Sam Walton's Emporium (not an AC Forum approved vendor) conviently located on the Monocacy Battlefield to report fresh pork butt is 96 cents per pound. This is good news for at least one season 2008 event. Methinks my favorite Kosher salt vendor in NYC is also going to be very happy this year. "You do what with that salt?" Oy.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post
                If the documentation for this event-not-named-in-this-post is not conclusive, then "surprise us with something boiled and gray".

The pre-cooked Federal rations at Outpost 3, where I saw little in the way of campfires for two days (except when a prisoner of the Rebs) were a very pleasant surprise in terms of delectability.
                Kevin - Co A started fires as soon as left alone for 15 minutes and we normally had more than we needed, but that beats the alternative :D

Charles - go with whatever the original soldiers used for the scenario in question unless that info is not available...or we have a choice - and then Boiled Salt Pork sounds good.
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                  Charles - go with whatever the original soldiers used for the scenario in question unless that info is not available....
                  Doug, please go back, read, and attempt to comprehend the first post in this thread, where we go into excruciatingly simple detail as to why we indeed may have a choice in the meat ration. Thanks.

I placed this thread in the Camp of Instruction section, and purposefully typed slowly for good reason.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

None, I'm a vegetarian :)
                    Patrick Rooney

Comment

Depends on the vinegar to water ratio. If none, bacon.
                      Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Gimme some of that boiled salt beef.

Now, boiled salt fish - that just sounds gross.
                        Paul Calloway
                        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                        Proud Member of the GHTI
                        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by paulcalloway View Post
                          Now, boiled salt fish - that just sounds gross.
                          To the tune of "O Tannenbaum"...

O Lutefisk, O Lutefisk, how fragrant your aroma,
                          O Lutefisk, O Lutefisk, you put me in a coma.
                          You smell so strong, you look like glue,
                          You taste just like an overshoe,
                          But lutefisk, come Saturday,
                          I tink I eat you anyvay

O Lutefisk, O lutefisk, I put you in the doorvay.
                          I wanted you to ripen up just like they do in Norvay.
                          A dog came by and sprinkled you.
                          I hit him with my overshoe.
                          O lutefisk, now I suppose
                          I'll eat you while I hold my nose.
                          John Wickett
                          Former Carpetbagger
                          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Personally, I'm partial to boiled fresh beef in the haversack if I have a choice.
                            Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                            1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                            Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Any meat will do... any thought to issuing green coffee?
                              Brad Ireland
                              Old Line Mess
                              4th VA CO. A
                              SWB

Comment

Working...
                              X