SQ4: In yet another few months...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ4: In yet another few months...

...at some other event in the distant future, an opportunity exists for a slaughtering and butchering session to provide vittles for the troops. Given this freshly slaughtered animal will probably not be equine, which of the following animals (as if you'll have a choice) would you choose to provide you with a still-quivering, steaming, bloody chunk of flesh:
    • About a 150 pound pig
    • A calf of maybe 175 pounds
    • Three 50 pound goats
    • Two 80 pound sheep
    • Eight 20 pound turkeys
    • Five Guinea hens
    • A double sawbuck of Capon
    • I like my chicken frying size. Those laying hens are much too wise.
    • Bunches of rabbits.
    • A passle o' Pea hens!
    • There is a 12 Days of Christmas joke in here somewhere, but I just don't get it.

What do you prefer, and why or why not?

Note: I've seen perfectly sane people dig around in the slop bucket for pieces of fish, so let's not go there just yet.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Re: SQ4: In yet another few months...

Might this be at an event say... located somewhere on the Virginia Peninsula set in the early summer of '62?
    For what its worth, Tarheels have always maintained that 'the other white meat' is the only meat truly fit for the consumption by all but knuckle-dragging Texans who will stoop to cooking a steer and call it BBQ - oh the humanity.
    Peter Julius
    North State Rifles

"North Carolina - a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit." Unknown author

Comment

I'll keep dreaming, but when I brought my deer into the processing joint here, there was a 1500 pound cow on the floor.
      Chris Suppelsa

Comment

Peter, you get partial credit for thinking Interstate 64, alas the trip will be westbound. Heck, I may find myself taking I-70 for a good stretch of the ways, since I-64 is so pitiful and poor in the mountains. As you know, BBQ is a religion, and the different synods tend not to agree on meat, preparation, saucing, and a whole host of liturgical points.

Chris, we might have to deal with sides and quarters a little while longer, but keep dreaming. This hobby is much about dreams.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Charles,

I have cooked a few rabbits at events they are easy to clean but you would need alot of them.

We had a 150lb pig roasted for us at the Park City Greys muster in Kenosha and it was super! They stuffed the belly full of wild rice stuffing it was great.

RM
          Rod Miller
          [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
          [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
          [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
          A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
          1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
          1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
          1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
          1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
          Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
          1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
          Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
            • About a 150 pound pig
            • A calf of maybe 175 pounds
            • Three 50 pound goats
            • Two 80 pound sheep
            • Eight 20 pound turkeys
            • Five Guinea hens
            • A double sawbuck of Capon
            • I like my chicken frying size. Those laying hens are much too wise.
            • Bunches of rabbits.
            • A passle o' Pea hens!
            • There is a 12 Days of Christmas joke in here somewhere, but I just don't get it.
            Can we have the entire list for that event? Though if I ate that much I might puke.

Bill
            Bill Backus

Comment

Originally posted by bAcK88 View Post
              Though if I ate that much I might puke.
              Pukin' Bill,

You gonna eat all that? Yikes!

I don't think I want to be there for that regurgitation.

Just for that, some additional questions may be in order. Oh, the humanity!
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

I beleave i would choose the 3, 50 pound goats, thats a good supper! Great now i'm hungry!!!

Comment

I know it's not on the list, but deep fried possum would be good eatin'.:D
                  John Spain
                  4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
                  "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

Well, he DID say he'd be traveling the interstate on the way there...
                    Becky Morgan

Comment

Well we did the goat once, courtesy of Matt Woodburn and Joel Dale in Bentonville 2000. People kept remarking what a beautiful goat we had in tow and laughed when we said it was dinner.

That fine goat met its maker Saturday night and a few of us had a very fine meal - the rest of the boys stood off in the background, eating their hardtack and staring at us as if we had committed some mortal sin.

Keep that in mind though - some of these fellas need to get out of their meat market mentality and realize that fresh beef didn't come to our ancesters wrapped in wax paper.
                      Paul Calloway
                      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                      Proud Member of the GHTI
                      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Pig or a calf. The fowl are easy to clean and anyone can go bird hunting, unless maybe you are from New York City. Shooting pigeons off the buildings would likely be frowned upon, although the gunfire might not be noticed. I slaughtered a goat we hauled along with the blue column at Bentonville years ago, so that's played out for me. A pig or calf is big enough that you don't see that much in our modern "you get meat at the grocery, right?" world. Either would provide a good experience, butchering or just viewing, and both would provide a fine meal.
                        Matt Woodburn
                        Retired Big Bug
                        WIG/GHTI
                        Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                        "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Notice barn cat was not included as an option. Those who were at OP2K will get this joke.

I guess Matt & Ed are no longer in the hobby.
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

If this scenario involves Matt he may just pull a pig out of his coat.

At I-600 ,food would just appear in his haversack and or lantern?????

Very strange

RM
                            Rod Miller
                            [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                            A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                            1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                            1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                            1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                            1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                            Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                            1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                            Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Sheep sounds god to me. Especially, since I plan to issue mutton on the hoof at one of our future 1st California events here in AZ.

An awful lot of mutton was eaten by troops out here in the Southwest, especially by the Coloradans under Kit Carson when they slaughtered the Navajo herds before forcing that Nation to capitulate and embark on "the Long March".
                              Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                              1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                              Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Working...
                              X