Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SQ4: In yet another few months...

Matt,
    You can't go jumping into slaughtering a hog. That is a several day job. I remember years ago on my Grandfathers farm they had a hog / couchon killing. I bet there was 40 people there, they made it into a big party. You have to kill, drain, boil, burn, scrape, gut...I just remember it took two days....plus they killed about 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Beasley View Post
      Matt,
      You can't go jumping into slaughtering a hog. That is a several day job. I remember years ago on my Grandfathers farm they had a hog / couchon killing. I bet there was 40 people there, they made it into a big party. You have to kill, drain, boil, burn, scrape, gut...I just remember it took two days....plus they killed about 10.
      Linda planned to have the soldiers forage a pig for Struggle for Statehood, and that's what several people told her. The pig was only about 60 pounds though for thirty men. She looked at period accounts and saw soldiers were going from live pig to pork dinner in a few hours on Sherman's march, and in fact, at the event, one man and a few helpers turned it into edible meat in an afternoon.

Hank Trent
      hanktrent@voyager.net
      Hank Trent

Comment

You can't go jumping into slaughtering a hog.
        Hawg? What hawg? We are are talking pig. I sure am glad we didn't use some fancy term like "shoat."
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Matt,
          Dale, the difference in the process here is due to the fact that your folks (and mine) preserved eveything, including the squeal. Here the desired outcome is just big pork chunks---essentially the 19th century version of 'fast food'

When one wants cracklins and sausage and chitlins and soup bones and jarred meat and save the hide for slippers is where the two day party comes in.

Last did one of those kinds of put-ups in 1977.....and Mama got unhappy with me about how the hide was done,
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
            "...and in fact, at the event, one man and a few helpers turned it into edible meat in an afternoon."
            Funny you should mention Don. ;)
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
              She looked at period accounts... from live pig to pork dinner in a few hours...
              Here's one account that I had found that shows they devoured everything except the squeal in one 24 hour period. :D

After an hour or so of recoisance among the farms of the neighborhood, he came in with about a peck of meal and a fat pig weight about 30 lbs. He preferred that we should not be too inquisitive as to how he came into the possession of the pig, and without arguing the question with him, we soon had a camp kettle filled with fresh pork on a good fire, while we converted the meal into old time ashcakes. It may hardly seems beleivable, but before mighnight [midnight?] there was little or nothing of that pig or peck of meal to be found, and eight fat sleek soldiers lay down for sound sleep without the annoyance of "Knawing stomachs".
              Civil War Memoirs of Kingman Porter Moore, M.D. of Pike County, Georgia

Linda
              Last edited by LindaTrent; 11-27-2007, 11:17 AM. Reason: remove extra signature, etc.
              Linda Trent
              [email]linda_trent@att.net[/email]

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble.
              It’s what you know that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaTrent View Post
                Here's one account that I had found that shows they devoured everything except the squeal in one 24 hour period. :D

Miz Trent--the squeal is considered to have been devoured when someone sez "WWWWooooooooeeeeeeeee, that was some fine dinner":tounge_sm

From that account, those boys got the job done, even if they did not have souse nor slippers to show for it.:D
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic

Comment

I forgot about that barn cat I brought to into camp. Matt and Ed Kirsch were the only ones to help me eat it. I caught fresh meat for the officer's mess, but they were so squeamish about the whole affair I said pass the word to the ranks. Ed Kirsch came in from the darkness shortly after I pulled Miss Kitty from the fire. I'll never forget him saying, "I hear you have fresh meat," and I said help yourself. The leg bones began cracking as he pulled a hind quarter loose, and I thought a couple of the city officers were going to puke. Big laughs!
                  Matt Woodburn
                  Retired Big Bug
                  WIG/GHTI
                  Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                  "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Matt, I have been blamed for killing, cooking, and eating one of Lee White's Grandma's barn cats for years. I'm glad the true and unvarnished story finally came to light from the actual culprit at OP2K. That is Post of The Decade Material.

Ed was always a hoot. He has to be getting close to 70, and has probably retired from MSFC on Redstone Arsenal. I wonder what happened to the other Matt? Hmmm.
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Chawls,

Folks will still blame you.

Doesn't matter what known honest feller owns up with his hand on what stack of holy books, folks will still blame you.
                      Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

Stevie-the-Ox, we hardly knew ye, but your tail made good soup at Bentonville 2000.

And your cousin made good soup at Arcade 2003. After Goat Willis ripped the hide off it and used it to scare small children from the interpretive area.

Fresh meat--as in the type that walked into the event--is under-represented in the hobby. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post
                          Stevie-the-Ox, we hardly knew ye, but your tail made good soup at Bentonville 2000.
                          O'Bee,

That tail is still in the Columbia Rifles' museum in John Tobey's basement, and in great condition I might add. Located right next to your can of "ass sap," as I recall. Next time I visit, I need to bring up that 29th Mass. marker for inclusion in the holy relics.
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

In order:

oink

baah

moo

bleet

ahhh, what's up doc?
                            Soli Deo Gloria
                            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Survey says it's likely to be oink at two, and moo at one. Maybe.

Roadkill is always an option.
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

I like veal.
                                Rob Murray

Comment

Working...
                                X