Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SQ4: In yet another few months...

Charles,

Would "pie on the hoof" be an option? If so, that gets my vote.

Comment

Kevin,

At one event you may indeed get your fill of blackcaps, red raspberries, and ripe cherries. The latter being well documented, and I need not explain to you the need for more than just a modicum of control when it comes to ingesting fresh fruit. A certain causal relationship exists not wholly unlike being able to "hit a dime at ten paces." The collective marchers believe you became familiar with the masked battery unleashing its considerable fury somewhere along the Wilson-Newfane Road not all that long ago.

Many moons ago, in a hobby far away, the event organ grinders thought it cute and fun to put the "camplaigners" in a briar filled valley. Said valley was surely cumbersome and desolate looking during the winter site visits, and much to their surprise (and our collective delight) the 200 yard wide by half mile long valley was filled with perfectly ripe red raspberries in July.

My favorite berry picking had to be the "Valley of the Dewberries" at Raymond I. Cornbread, Roach, Rat, Cotton, Tomski, Pappa Wainwright....I know you are out there somewhere.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Woodburn View Post
        I forgot about that barn cat I brought to into camp. Matt and Ed Kirsch were the only ones to help me eat it. I caught fresh meat for the officer's mess, but they were so squeamish about the whole affair I said pass the word to the ranks. Ed Kirsch came in from the darkness shortly after I pulled Miss Kitty from the fire. I'll never forget him saying, "I hear you have fresh meat," and I said help yourself. The leg bones began cracking as he pulled a hind quarter loose, and I thought a couple of the city officers were going to puke. Big laughs!
        How on Earth did you manage to catch the barn cat? Those critters are mighty mean things and they aren't to partial to being caught much less et.
        Matthew S. Laird
        [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
        [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
        Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
        [/COLOR]
        [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
          My favorite berry picking had to be the "Valley of the Dewberries" at Raymond I. Cornbread, Roach, Rat, Cotton, Tomski, Pappa Wainwright....I know you are out there somewhere.
          While I cannot account for all your berry filled brethren---Pappa Wainwright is now picking an instrument this very night, with a little minstrel band called Kracker Dan, on the ground of a wonderful 1840's home. Since the weather is nice, I imagine the grand babies came out a-dancing as well, for it is pretty much a family band, with extras.

And, just in case there is a woman out there somewhere who feels underappreciated or unremembered for her efforts in this hobby---Pappa Wainwright still carries a now-tattered silk ribbon, tied to his buttonhole by a pretty gal on the Raymond March.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
            While I cannot account for all your berry filled brethren---Pappa Wainwright is now picking an instrument this very night, with a little minstrel band called Kracker Dan, on the ground of a wonderful 1840's home. Since the weather is nice, I imagine the grand babies came out a-dancing as well, for it is pretty much a family band, with extras.

And, just in case there is a woman out there somewhere who feels underappreciated or unremembered for her efforts in this hobby---Pappa Wainwright still carries a now-tattered silk ribbon, tied to his buttonhole by a pretty gal on the Raymond March.
            Yes, that is precisely where he was. And, a good time was had by all. Stephen really knows how to lead a dance! The weather was gorgeous. And, the setting is always nice. It's more than just and 1840's house, you know ;)

If everything falls together, Kracker Dan will be at Fort Gaines this coming weekend.

Oh, that ribbon is still there. I just saw it a few days ago.
            Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
            Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
            Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

Working...
            X