SQ5: So, you've dropped knapsacks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ5: So, you've dropped knapsacks...

...and you have the choice of taking either your wool blanket or your ground cloth along with you as you march a few miles on a wet and chilly day (think 40 degrees and light rain), so which would you take and why? You can only take one, but not both of them with you on this hike. You know ahead of time it will be a cold camp, sleeping on your arms in the face of the enemy, and the ground is already sopping wet from several days of rain.

Note to newbies: Knapsacks are dropped now and then, and you might not see them until fixin' to depart for home on Sunday.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Re: SQ5: So, you've dropped knapsacks...

I'd take a gum blanket. It does provide some warmth although not as much as a blanket but, more importantly to me, it will keep you dryer. If you're dry you can sleep better in the cold than if you're wet. The times I have had to use only one, I have used the gum blanket. Plus, it's easier to fold up and tuck in the back of your belt if you have to get up and move fast.

Ideally, I would partner up with someone and one of us carry the gum blanket and the other a wool blanket and combine the two during a spooning session for the night.

My two cents worth.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
      Ideally, I would partner up with someone and one of us carry the gum blanket and the other a wool blanket and combine the two during a spooning session for the night.
      Spoken like a man who has done just this a time or two. I find three puppies in a pile are warmer than two, and four is even better, but spooning, rolling about at night, and snoring can have pros and cons. Not that I've ever heard anyone snore in camp, that is.

Possibilities. The 2008 season is just filled with possibilities.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

This is frightening me. Boiling cauldrons. BBQ combo plates. No knapsacks. Where's that bounty I was promised when I enlisted? I should have known better....
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Silas,

Sure, sure, but does this really beat beyatching about ramming your bayonet or bayoneting your rammer?
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

I would take my gum rubber. Speaking from experience.
            Jim Crawford
            Hairy Nation
            -- Jim Crawford

Comment

I do beleave i would take the gum blanket! Better to be dry and cold than wet cold and no sleep!

Comment

Is there an SQ2 in this somewhere?!?!?!
                Brad Ireland
                Old Line Mess
                4th VA CO. A
                SWB

Comment

I'm Going to have to agree with everyone here, i believe the better choice would be to take your gum blanket. staying dry will keep you warmer in the end.

Respectfully,
                  Chris Bottomley, PVT
                  124th New York State Volunteers

Comment

Charles,

I've done a lot of thinking on this. (10 mins.) I think I would take my "blankie". My reasoning behind this is: I attended an event a few years ago in VA., in May, that on Sat. evening the skies opened up and it rained all night. I woke up in an inch or two of water and after wringing out my clothes and sliding into my "gummie" with just trousers on, I found I was getting just as wet wrapped up in the "gummie" as out of it.

If it's really that wet a gum blanket isn't going to keep you any dryer. 3 or 4 layers of wet wool with body heat should keep one just as warm. And if it didn't I'd go find some fool with a gum blanket.

Mr. Comer, I'll share my "blankie" if you share your "gummie". :D
                    Rob Murray

Comment

I would have to disagree. Wet wool still maintains up to 70% of its warmth. I would take my wool blanket. More over, I would find a messmate and spoon. Let each of us take one thing, or hell one of us take the blanket and one of us take two rubber blankets, the weight will even out.

Cheers,
                      Joseph Caridi
                      Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

Originally posted by cprljohnivey View Post
                        Is there an SQ2 in this somewhere?!?!?!
                        Obviously, darn few play cards, roll the bones, rob messmates blind with chuck-a-luck, etc. :D
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

I'd take my ground cloth......it's wrapped around my blanket. :D
                          Rules....what rules.....there are no rules in war.
                          Regards,
                          [FONT=Arial][COLOR=Black]Greg Sites[/COLOR][/FONT]
                          Co. H 33rd Va Inf
                          Stonewall Brigade

"Whenever you see anything blue, shoot at it and do all you can to keep up the scare."
                          Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Oh, bedding down with messmates is the only way to go in my opinion. A healthy mix of gummies and wool around the puppy pile beats a single of either in solitude any day.

That said, I'd personally prefer to take my nice warm woolen blanket since that mule collar also provides a little warmth on the march.
                            Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                            1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                            Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I see the SQ2 now... wierd... didn't populate earlier.

As to this question. I'd have to go with carrying an extra haversack. I am sure I can rely on the kindness of strangers to share a blanket with me if I am totin extra food for them.
                              Brad Ireland
                              Old Line Mess
                              4th VA CO. A
                              SWB

Comment

Working...
                              X