No announcement yet.

SQ5: So, you've dropped knapsacks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SQ5: So, you've dropped knapsacks...

Wool blanket-some warmth while wet.

Maybe it will stop raining, and if not, I wager I could find a covered spot, or someone to share their gummie if I share my blankie, as long as they don't know how loud I snore... :o
    Ron Mueller
    Illinois
    New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
    Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
    Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I agree that the wool blanket will give you more warmth, but once that sucker is wet, it gains a lot of weight that I would rather not carry on the next days march. Wet gum blankets don't pick up too much weight and they dry in a few seconds in the sun or held near a fire. I think I would go with the gum. I may not be as warm, but I think I would be more comfortable the next day with dry(er) clothes and a lighter load.
      David Casey

Comment

E-gads, it's a darn good thing these questions are being asked now.

Few posts above "get it"--meaning, reenactors should "pard up" with a comrade a lot more often than is often done. Dropping packs and you can only take the blanket or the gum? Answer: You bring the gum, I'll bring the wool, and we use 'em together.

At Rich Mountain 2006--yes, the event with the infamous "camp outdoors overnight in chilling 63-degree temperatures while your blankie and knapsack remain miles away at the base of the mountain"--when we dropped packs most of our company was bright enough to retain our gum blankets (after all, it WAS raining at the time...). That night, in anticipation of frigid, Arctic-like temperatures in July, three of us, each in possession of a gum blanket--laid down together. Two blankets lengthwise kept us off the ground (which may have, gasp, had some residual moisture in it on the mountaintop!), and one gum went over us "cross-wise" to keep the upper body of the three of us warm. Being the guy in the middle of that arrangement, I was too warm that night. Moral of the Story: Pooling of resources works well.

Reenactors need to plan in advance so that pards/comrades, and messes jointly cooperate to bring and carry the stuff that makes life "on the march" a bit more comfortable.
        Last edited by Kevin O'Beirne; 11-27-2007, 09:41 PM.

Comment

File "partner," mess "mate," and some other words come to mind, along with some orders that were given on a regular basis by a fine fellow in blue, back in the day. Not to give up any secrets or anything like that.

Hmmmm, I wonder how cold it gets in New Albany, Penna., in late August?
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Rubber Blanket
            - I was at rich mountian
            - Rubber blanket is lighter even when wet will dry fast and keep in body heat
            - see the first.
            I am, etc.
            Thomas Gingras
            Awkward Squad Mess
            Columbia Rifles
            Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Partnering up, sharing supplies, spooning.......egads, whoda thunk it?:p
              Robert Collett
              8th FL / 13th IN
              Armory Guards
              WIG

Comment

Robert, people who will combine the contents of several haversacks will sometimes not see the light when it comes to sharing resources for getting some sleep at night. Maybe this worm will eventually turn.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Have a great letter from a Capt in the 1st Minn on a 5 day recon in light marching order Sept 20, 1863. They were ordered to take gum blankets but were specifically told to leave wool blankets behind. I figure that decision was time of year/temperature related. Might have been different in February with wool instead of gum.

I like the mess mate sharing plan.
                  Last edited by DougCooper; 11-27-2007, 11:53 PM.
                  Soli Deo Gloria
                  Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                    I like the mess mate sharing plan.
                    Some of us are faithful to our spouses. Some are "free-thinkers". :D

Comment

Kevin,

Is this coming from the same fellow who made a slight typo about "wives," as in the plural sense, that set the Winter 1864 listserver to chuckling in a big way? Hmmmm.

The cold weather isn't always the problem, as sometimes dampness from nearby bodies of water penetrates most everything.
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

I would have to agree that wool would be a better choice for the cold and wet if I were limited to only taking one. The painted groundcloths and gum blankets would probably not help with keeping dry all that much and wool does retain warmth reasonably well when it is wet. As for the weight of the wet wool, if it is raining that hard, everything is going to get heavy fairly quick. If you are exhausted from marching all day, then you can sleep through just about anything.
                        Matthew S. Laird
                        [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
                        [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                        Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
                        [/COLOR]
                        [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Gum Blanket,and partnering up..........no brainer for me. Even if it is just two gum blankets,that beats one any day.

Been there,done that,bought a T-shirt.
                          [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Working...
                          X