Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m 1842 musket

Hallo Kameraden,
    I want to defarb my m1842 Rifled musket. I already know what was written in the Compedium. But I have a special Question. I think some of you own an original ( Smoothbore ore Rifled). I need a Photo from the butt. On the replica from Armi Sport the contour of the underside of the butt is slightly rounded, I heared, it was straight at the Originals. I own the Springfield shoulder Arms book of Claud e. Fuller, but the pictures therein are not so good that they helped me . I also need an Photo from the area of the comb on the upper side of the butt. And at last a Detail of a Barrel band.
    Please help me, because in Germany I know no Museum, which contained this Weapon to study by myself.( maybe the " Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung" in Koblenz, I will call them up too)
    Christof Bastert a.k.a Charles Kaiser, Private,
    Co D, 17th Mo Vol Inf (Re)

In Memory of Anthony and Joseph Schaer,
    Borlands Regiment/ 62nd Ark. Militia/Adams Inf./Cokes Inf.

German Mess

Re: m 1842 musket

Sir:

I have just taken some shots of my cut down 1842, if I can get them to upload on my computer I will post them here for you.

Here is the link, my apologies for the poor picture quality but I hope this helps you a bit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6825236...7603312595308/

Edward Parrott
    Last edited by Pvt Peck; 11-27-2007, 05:38 PM. Reason: Updated information
    Edward Anthony Parrott
    "Humbug"

Comment

Hallo!

So wie so...

The repro is on top, an original beneath.

Tschuess!

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Christof, if you have "Echoes of Glory" or "Rebels and Yankees" there is an M1842 smoothbore and rifled pictured in both ( US and CS)
        Curt's picture clearly shows you how the butplate should look like.
        Jan H.Berger
        Hornist

German Mess
        http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Hallo Kameraden,
          is there anyone owning pictures of cal.69 Labels of the Union? I have googled a lot, but i found nothing.
          Christof Bastert a.k.a Charles Kaiser, Private,
          Co D, 17th Mo Vol Inf (Re)

In Memory of Anthony and Joseph Schaer,
          Borlands Regiment/ 62nd Ark. Militia/Adams Inf./Cokes Inf.

German Mess

Comment

Hallo!

In brief and to over-generalize...

You will have a very hard time finding 1861-1865 era Federal labelled arsenal bundles, as the practice was more-or-less ended in 1861 save for the St. Louis Arsenal, and not all arsenals produced all of the types of .69 arms such as .69 Musket Round ball, .69 Rifled-musket Elongated ball, .69 Musket Buck and ball, .69 Musketoon, .69 Buckshot, .69 Musketoon Round ball, etc.

Here is a sample preWar package:

Curt
            Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 01-06-2008, 10:32 AM.
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Greetings.

I'll tie onto this with another question, that hopefully someone can answer for me. I have an Armi Sport 1842. The butt plate has the usual stamped US next to the screw. If you set the musket on the butt plate, the US is upside down,and would have to be read from the barrel end, and not like the photo from Ed Parrott. Is the stamping on mine upside down, or are there examples of any smoothbore 42's, with the stamping this way? Yes, I'm having it de farbed, but this has driven me crazy since I got it, and I can't find anything to say which way the stamping should be. I hope my explanation is clear.
              Best Regards,

Jim Mitchum

Hamptons Legion, Co. G., Claremont Rifles
              Winstontown

"South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum". ... James Petigru describing his native state in 1860

Comment

Working...
              X