Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper Drum Canteens and Copper Cups

Hello All,

I searched through the threads visually and with the search function and I was unable to find an answer to my questions using those avenues.

I was looking at a one and a two quart copper drum canteen and various sizes of copper cups on a local vendor's website. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with copper canteens or cups, if they were used by any of the troops operating in the Trans-Mississippi Theater. I read in the description a mention of "bad tin taste" and I was also wondering about this and how copper would be any better or if it would be worse. Any assisstance would be appreciated greatly.

Thank you.

Matthew S. Laird
    mslaird@cox.net
    Matthew S. Laird
    [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
    Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
    [/COLOR]
    [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Copper Drum Canteens and Copper Cups

Matthew,

To follow up on your question...I personally have never seen any evidence to suggest that copper canteens were being used in the Trans Miss. With that being said that doesn't mean that copper wasn't being used. But as I've said before, I haven't come across anything to support it and with that would recommend staying away from them. Others are more informed on the subjects then myself, and I might suggest contacting Fred Backer, Cody Mobley, Don Smith, or Phil Graf...all of which are members here on the AC.

I will suggest to you that if you are in the market for a canteen, to find a quality tin drum canteen. (Otter Creek!!!) I have seen both written and visual evidence of these canteens being used...a few examples being in a private museum in Louisiana near Pleasant Hill. One canteen looks almost as if a wagon wheel went right over it.

Regards,
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]Cody G. Farrell[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]UpStart Mess[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT] - [URL="http://www.geocities.com/codygfarrell/homepage1"]http://www.geocities.com/codygfarrell/homepage1[/URL]
    ETHC
    [FONT="Georgia"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"]Texas Ground Hornets[/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] - [URL="http://www.texasgroundhornets.com/"]http://www.texasgroundhornets.com/[/URL]
    [I][SIZE="3"][B][U][FONT="Georgia"]Texas State Troops[/FONT][/U][/B][/SIZE][/I] - [URL="http://texasfrontierbrigade.googlepages.com/home"]http://texasfrontierbrigade.googlepages.com/home[/URL]

Comment

Mr. Farrell,

I greatly appreciate the information. I have not seen anything in my research either, other than a signal corps fuel container in a private collection. I am trying to find a canteen that would fit into a early war impression for Missouri State Guard. Prior to Wilson's Creek it is rather difficult to determine what these folks might have had, since most of it came from thier civilian belongings. I was going to use a Mexican-American War drum canteen but I really do not know which of the few sellers I have seen sells a good one. The one that was recommended to me has had a supplier issue and no longer stocks them for now. Again, I appreciate it.
      Matthew S. Laird

[/COLOR]
      [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Mr. Farrell,

I checked out Otter Creek and I am intrigued by the 1840s Militia Canteen that they have on thier site. I am pretty partial to the thought of purchasing it. Would you happen to know if it would be authentic for a western impression to get one in the black japaned finish? In the interest of a little individuality I thought that would be a bit different. If it is not authentic then I will get a plain tin one instead. Thanks for your help.
        Matthew S. Laird

[/COLOR]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Matthew,
          It would be advisable to just go with a plain canteen. The japaned canteen that you are speaking of is of Massachusetts origin. I wouldn't advise getting any gear outside of the norm unless you can find specific documentation for a particular unit or event. IMHO, the plainer, the better. Hope this helps.
          Josh Orpen
          Shocker Mess
          Centennial #544 F&AM
          IMO George Orpen, 1st LA Zouave Bn

"Give me time to realize my crime, let me love and steal. I have danced inside your eyes, how can I be real?"-Jerry Stiles

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I will heed it. I figured that would be the safe bet, too. I was hoping that I could get away with the japanned one, honestly because I have never seen one and I thought it would be interesting. If it is not accurate then I will not do it. Thanks again.
            Matthew S. Laird

[/COLOR]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
            X