Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SQ8: A period civilian skill or two

Originally posted by Jim Moffet View Post
    I'd second the motion on Mr. Heath's sense of humor - or of grim reality - and that we should not tempt it;)! But the proper use of a razor was one skill not learned at a camp of instruction nor taught out of Scott's, Hardee's, Casey's or Gillham's; that every one of us men over the age of 17 probably knew - or at least one barber per mess would have known. There's another under-represented skill in this hobby.

Better have the hospital steward available during the practice session! I don't recall the QM manual telling how many bandages nor how much lint should be in stock when training a company of 'recruits' how to properly prepare for Sunday inspection!

Jim Moffet
    Shaving with a straight razor is not a big deal. I do it every morning. It is the only thing that can cut this barbed wire beard and not tear up my skin. Just make sure you don't use on of those cheap razors!

School of the Barber would be nothing. He might have School of the Nitre producer in mind!
    Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
    Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

I strive always to remain teachable. Even these fellars feel the same way.

'The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn'.
      - Alvin Toffler

'Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.'
      - Mahatma Gandhi
      Greg S Barnett
      Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
      ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Rev View Post
        School of the Barber would be nothing. He might have School of the Nitre producer in mind!
        Lawrence, one must use the powers of elimination here . Chawls does not have Selma on his list of events for 2008.

Though Hank can relate a funny story of the guy who had forgotten to fill the bucket, borrowed one off our cart and stepped behind the tent to make a contribution. Yet another illustration of the effects of age on our ranks.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Quoted from Warren L Goss, " Reflections of a Private "
          Specifically while with McClellan during the Peninsula Campaign

" Considerable foraging was done, on the sly, about the neighboring plantations, but as a rule foraging was severely condemned by our commanders. There was much tobacco raised in this section of country, and we found the barns filled with the best quality of tobacco in leaf; this we appropriated without objection on the part of our officers. As all trades were represented in our ranks,that of cigar-maker was included, and the army rioted in cigars without enriching the sutlers."

I will be " foraging " my neighbors' barns later tonite, my apprenticeship begins on the morrow :D

Wondering if we are talking about skills, as above, that would be common in the field, or something else.
          Smiths, farriers, cabinetmakers, wheelwrights, carpenters, etc...
          Necessary, but usually seperate support groups, usually with an inordinate amount of tools involved.
          Just my basic 19th century cabinetry/ carpentry tools fill up a steamer trunk sized workbox. And that's without the shave-horse.

Perhaps occupations such as these could be set up as mini-COI's providing an interest and time allowed during an event?

Regards,
          Kevin Ellis,
          26th NCT

Comment

Folks,

Try not to confuse "trade" or "craft" with "skill." Evidently some posters have managed to do this already.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I would be willing to devote some time and a bit of money to learning a useful skill.
              Matthew S. Laird
              [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
              [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
              Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
              [/COLOR]
              [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Sir Charles,

How about skinning, buthering, and "COOKING" in the field. The emphasis on cooking.

Pete McCarthy
                POC'R Boys Mess
                Columbia Rifles
                Peter J. "Pete" McCarthy
                POC'R Boy's Mess/Columbia Rifles

"As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6:10

Comment

Pete, You forgot killing and gutting.
                  Rob Murray

Comment

Shoot,

It's not only a trade but a skill....how about leather stitching and field repair ie. sewing with two needles and the tools used thereof? It's not difficult at all; I've taught my nine year old. I generally carry thread and two needles with me to events and find many folks need a frog, end of a cartridge box or even the stitching on a shoe repaired. They seem shocked I can sit down and accomplish the task in no time at all. I also have an entire compliment of period tools. Just an idea.

Neill Rose
                    PLHA

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                      Folks,

Try not to confuse "trade" or "craft" with "skill." Evidently some posters have managed to do this already.
                      I was one, heh. But any skill/trade/craft would be fun to learn more about in my book.

It could be learning how to sharpen a knife with period equipment, sewing up a shoe, starting a fire with flint and steel, or learning a new song. I'm in.

In fact, just keeping a straight edge razor sharp in the field would be interesting. I am sure most did not carry a 2' long strop, so I imagine they had a smaller version, or just a small dedicated piece of leather for that purpose.
                      Ron Mueller
                      Illinois
                      New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
                      Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
                      Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                      X