Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1858 Dress Hat, which supplier?

Greetings all,

I just thought that I would post on here and get some oppinions on a purchase that I hope to make soon. Ever since I started reenacting, I've always worn a forage cap and, well, nothing else. Since I would like to apply a more western look to myself (As my unit fought in the western theater) I've decided to make a purchase of a 1858 dress hat. My only stale point in the process is, where to buy from. Now as I've said, I've only used a forage cap, But I have looked at Tim Bender 58' dress hats. 2 of my pards own them, and they really seem nice. Look like good buys. Now, I know that Dirty Billy also makes 58' dress hats as well. I've never looked at one in person, but I have seen them on his website. Now heres my question I ask of you: which would be a better buy. Are there any of you that use a Dirty Billy 58' dress hat and would be able to tell me more about it? And for those of you who know both hats, could you compare & contrast the 2 for me? Thank you kindly and I hope this helps me out with my purchase decision.
    Pvt/Cpl. Roy James Brown
    [SIZE="2"]1st Michigan Engineers Co. E, Grand Rapids Boys (Franklin Shaw) Discharged[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]36th Illinois Infantry Co. B, Prodigal Sons Mess (Henry Alcott) Discharged[/SIZE]

[I]Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.[/I]-Julius Caesar, William Shakspeare

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: 1858 Dress Hat, which supplier?

Tim Bender period.
    Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Great guy, great service, great hats...Bender!

Josh Sawyer
      Liberty Rifles
      Hardtack Society
      Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Comment

I have a 1858 Dress Hat from Tim Bender and all I can say is GREAT! In addition he is great to talk with.
        Pvt. Rudy Norvelle
        20th Maine Vol Inf Co. G
        Third Brigade, First Divison, Fifth Corps
        Army of the Potomac

Comment

Roy,

Tim Bender's Pattern of 1858 dress hat is an excellent replica that I would highly recommend. Tim's replica is based off of the Philander B. Wright dress hat in the holdings of the Wisconsin Veterans Museum. Correct fur felt (not wool felt), black grosgrain ribbon, double row brim stitching at 4 stitches per inch, oilcloth crown label, three inch brim, 5.5 inch crown height, and black 2.5 inch leather sweatband as per original specimens.

In the units I deal with we have one vendor for this item - Tim Bender.

I own two enlisted dress hats by Tim and an officer’s dress hat that are of excellent quality. In fact, my first dress hat from Tim is going on its ninth year (1999) and still holds up mighty well.

And as stated, one of the nicest people you will deal with as a vendor!

Good luck,

Tom
          Tom Klas
          Hard Head Mess
          Citizens Guard

Comment

What about Dirty Billy's? His M1858 hat has the more cylindrical crown shape you see so often in original pictures.
            Jan H.Berger
            Hornist

German Mess
            http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Tim Bender, you can't get better it is a fantastic facsimile. Also all the hats i own that are made by him are great hats to wear , they wear like originals .
              Martyn Goddard
              American Eagle Society
              Mess #4

http://www.aesoc.org/

Comment

Dirty Billy is good, but I would go with Tim on this one.
                Tyler Gibson
                The Independent Rifles

Comment

Tim Bender's is the only place I would buy a hat (except a forage or kepi). ;)
                  Frank Perkin

Comment

I must concur. I have a '58 made by Tim and have been wearing it for years. In fact, I have it on in my avatar. It's a little modified in my picture thanks to Mr. Lee White one summer at Chickamauga. You cannot go wrong with one of his hats!! Highly Recommended and a great guy to work with!

Chris
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]Christopher P. Young[/B]
                    [/FONT] [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com"]Army of Tennessee[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.antebellumpoliticing.blogspot.com/"]Our Federal Union, It Must Be Preserved[/URL]
                    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Of all the properties which belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of character." Secretary of State Henry Clay, July 27,1827[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySkilletLicker View Post
                      Tim Bender period.
                      I too, have one myself and was very pleased with his fine work.

In lieu of everyone else exclaiming, "Yes, yes! I have one too!", I'd recommend reading further on what makes a good Army-issue Hardee Hat. And the Mudsill have written an excellent one: http://www.33wis.com/articles/articles.htm

Slainté!
                      Jason C. Spellman
                      Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Originally posted by J.H.Berger View Post
                        What about Dirty Billy's? His M1858 hat has the more cylindrical crown shape you see so often in original pictures.
                        Valid question. I'd be interested in hearing from some folks who have seen/own one of his hats.

IMHO, the answer to the "How's Dirty Billy's Hardee hat?" is not "Bender's rocks!"

Thanks!
                        John Wickett
                        Former Carpetbagger
                        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                          Valid question. I'd be interested in hearing from some folks who have seen/own one of his hats.

IMHO, the answer to the "How's Dirty Billy's Hardee hat?" is not "Bender's rocks!"

Thanks!

Agreed!who can tell us anything about both hats ion comparison with examined originals perhaps??
                          Jan H.Berger
                          Hornist

German Mess
                          http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post

Thanks!
                            John,

Would second that. Bender is a nice guy to be sure but that doesn't answer the question asked. Comparing the two hats vs. the period specs is the way to go. I can tell you both hats stand up over time pretty well. There is a guy I know who has a DB hardee thats got to be over 10 years old and it's still going strong.
                            [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

O.K., I'll jump into the fire on this one, as the owner of hats from both of these purveyors of fine goods. Both compare favorably to the two originals I've been able to look at in detail (one at a relics shop outside the Stone's River Battlefield and one at a museum that escapes me at this time). Both have that size, shape, and interior features such as crown label and sweatband, and both have the correct stitching around the brim and right width ribbon around the crown. The features that set both apart are probably minor in the scheme of things. The Bender dress cap has held its shape a little better after 4 years with little maintenance and the ribbon around the crown is a better grade of grosgrain ribbon. The Dirty Billy has served me for well for over 8 years in the field with no malfunctions, the crown label and stiffener are still holding on to a few inches of glue in the top of the crown, the brim is still firm, and despite a few beatings in the field, it gets its shape back rather quickly with a decent steaming. In short, both are fine hats, both compare favorably to originals, and aside from some aestetics, both a good pick. I wear my DB more in the field and the Bender for parade or dress occasions, and I probably have more sentimental rather than historical value in the DB.
                              Last edited by Ross L. Lamoreaux; 12-02-2007, 09:35 PM.
                              Ross L. Lamoreaux
                              rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Working...
                              X