Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Lined Blankets

Hi,

I am trying to track some info on the CS lined blankets that were used. I did search the past forums and there was not a lot of info, it did mention vendors that carry them. How was the linning attached? Was it stitched on the edges only or were there rows of stitching, which would seem to hold the linning in place better. I did find one reference that states that brown drilling was used. was there a common material used for this purpose? Were lined blankets generally a civilian type item or were they issued? Was a particular type of wool blanket used or would they have modified a army issue blanket?

Thanks,

Kevin Coyle
    Kevin Coyle

Re: Confederate Lined Blankets

I believe Tom Arliskas knows how these were done, he has made some. He is an AC member.

Joe Walker

Comment

I took some cotton drill and lined my Federal Blanket just using a needle and thread. There was a thread on this before but I couldn't find it.
      Claude Sinclair
      Palmetto Battalion

Comment

I have a lighter weight civilian style blanket I was thinking about doing this to, then I thought, "What happens if it gets wet". Has anyone experienced this, if the blanket does get wet, does it get cold and clammy? Wool alone is fine, but I thought that the cotton might just stay cold and wet.
        Marvin Boyce

Comment

Well, if all else fails, you could always try this (see attachment).

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Attached Files
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I don't know - that looks like it might work, but not wear very well under the rigors of field conditions.
            Rob Weaver
            Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
            "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
            [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Hi,

Would modifying a Federal blanket in that fashion be a common practice. I agree that woool would be best for field use, especially when wet.

Thanks,

Kevin Coyle
              Kevin Coyle

Comment

...til England and France rip up the blockade.
                Ah, the optimism of the early Confederacy.

I suppose this article also potentially points to how early the blockade began to be effective if there were blanket shortages and statements about foreign intervention breaking it up in August of 1861.

Don't know about quilting varnished paper between my blanket and calico though.
                Last edited by Michael Comer; 12-15-2007, 11:31 AM.
                Michael Comer
                one of the moderator guys

Comment

I think it's a gadget that indeed points to the expectation of a short and largely static war. I just don't think such a blanket would hold up very well to usage. I've never seen one in a civilian home, either. I'm not doubting the provinance of the instructions; I'm just saying that it might work about as badly now as it did then.
                  Rob Weaver
                  "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                  [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

I have used a couple of lined blankets over the years and have been pretty happy with the results generally. The cotton cloth cuts the wind that might get through the looser woven wool while the wool insulates. It also works similar to the use of a quilt or dressing in layers where smaller pockets of air are formed which reduce the transfer of heat from the person to the colder surrounding air.

The most telling example and a good lesson of its effectiveness was in 2006 at a streamer 1812 event (no gummies) where I was using a single wool blanket lined with a light cotton shirting. It was cold and drizzling as I settled down with only a low tree for shelter and a large fallen log for a windbreak. A short while after getting settled in, the camp went all to alarm when a nearby tent went up in flames after its owner spilled fuel on his rug as he refilled his kerosene heater and didn't account for the fireball resulting from the fumes when he lit the thing. I jumped up to help beat out the flames neglecting to close my blanket behind me. By the time I returned to go to sleep both sides of my blanket were thoroughly wet. Since damp cotton draws heat from the body I flipped it over with the wool on the inside and after a little bit of rubbing my hands together, shivering, and breathing warm air into my cocoon I managed to fall asleep and slept through the night despite a significant drop in the temperature. The next morning I rolled out of my blanket to discover a light snow falling about me (Southern California in April!).

Originally posted by mboyce View Post
                    I have a lighter weight civilian style blanket I was thinking about doing this to, then I thought, "What happens if it gets wet". Has anyone experienced this, if the blanket does get wet, does it get cold and clammy? Wool alone is fine, but I thought that the cotton might just stay cold and wet.
                    To answer the question. yes, cotton gets cold and clammy and will draw heat from your body. The key when using a wet lined blanket or if you are saturated with perspiration is to put the cotton fabric on the outside of the blanket and keep the wool next to you. The cotton on the outside will actually help to wick away the moisture from the wool without drawing your body heat along with it.

Advice to Volunteers—How to Prepare for the Campaign.—A writer who signs himself "An Old Soldier," gives the following advice to young soldiers:
                    1. Remember, that in a campaign more men die from sickness than by the bullet.
                    2. Line your blanket with one thickness of brown drilling. This adds but four ounces in weight, and doubles the warmth.
                    3. Buy a small india-rubber blanket—only $1,50—to lay on the ground, or throw over your shoulders when on guard duty, during a rain-storm.
                    4. The best military hat in use is the light-colored soft felt, the crown being sufficiently high to allow space for air over the brain.—You can fasten it up as a continental in fair weather, or turn it down when it is wet or very sunny.
                    5. Let your beard grow, so as to protect the throat and lungs.
                    6. Keep your entire person clean. This prevents fever and bowel complaints in warm climates.—Wash your body every day, if possible. Avoid strong coffee and oily meat.—Gen. Scott said that the too free use of these, together with neglect in keeping the skin clean, cost many a soldier his life in Mexico.
                    7. A sudden check of perspiration by chilly or night air often causes fever and death.—When thus exposed, do not forget your blanket.
                    STANDARD (CLARKSVILLE, TX), June 8, 1861, p. 4, c. 1. From Vicke Betts' website

Apparently that old soldier who's advice I had read knew what he was talking about. The damp cotton worked remarkably well at sealing in the air and keeping out the wind. The thin cotton drys fairly quickly (at least once the sun comes out and thaws the frozen blanket. ;)) I was so satisfied that this winter I even added a lining to a Charlie Child's US Issue blanket for those occasions where a gum blanket doesn't fit in with the situation being reenacted.
                    Last edited by AZReenactor; 12-15-2007, 12:00 PM. Reason: typo
                    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I've no doubt that a lining would help especially when it comes to sealing out air from the looser weave of many woolen blankets and have toyed with experimenting with it myself. Sounds like it would be a good idea from Troy's experiences.

I really do wonder about that varnished paper though. I would think the varnish would break down or the paper would tear up quite easily with use, especially the folding and rolling a soldier's blanket was subjected to. It just sounds like a bad idea and I wonder what the writer based his assertions on.
                      Michael Comer
                      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Household magazines and papers used to be filled with advice from budding Heloises. Most of the ideas work, albeit they tend to be a little bit fiddley. At the very least, these instructions are a great reminder that paper is a good insulator. Remember that period newspaper folded up in your pack the next time you're freezing around a dinner-plate sized fire. Some are utter nonsense. One old cook-book I have says cheesecloth over the top of a jar will preserve the contents as well as zinc lids. I think finding out the hard way that your entire shelf of preserves rotted would be a harsh way of finding out this one didn't work.
                        Rob Weaver
                        [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Hallo!

Tennessee Baptist, December 7, 1861, p. 4, c. 2

Cheap Blankets.

Newspaper blankets are coming into vogue. They are no joke. A correspondent of one of our exchanges thus refers to the matter.
                          "I have recently heard much about the value of newspapers as a substitute for blankets, and have considered the statement to be apocryphal. But last evening I was induced to make the experiment. I took four full-sized newspapers and pasted them together by the edges, making one large sheet the size of a blanket. I then removed the blankets from my bed, and placed the newspaper sheet between the one remaining blanket, and the counterpane. The result was a comfortable night's sleep, without any feeling of cold. I pledge my word to you, gentlemen, that this is literally true; and my object in making the communication is, that through the medium of your paper, the fact may be generally circulated; for it is no trifling matter to the poor to know that for an outlay of a few pennies they can supply themselves with comfortable bed coverings [rest obscured].

Curt
                          Bankie Mess
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I have used one for two years now, it defiantly helps. Throw a painted cloth over it and you are good to go. On really cold nights I add my horse blanket to the mix although the horse is offended by the smell the next morning.
                            [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Tod Lane[/FONT]

Comment

I have an old pair of Swedish wool pants that were modified by sewing on wool panels from another pair of trousers on , with a layer of brown paper in between-they are the warmest pants I have ever worn, but they make a faint "crinkling" sound when you bend the knees!-ELI GEERY
                              -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
                              "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
                              "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
                              "The Bully Boys"
                              "The Hard Case Boys"
                              "The Independant Mess"
                              29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
                              3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X