Confederate Lined Blankets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confederate Lined Blankets

read the book "How to Camp Out" by John Mead Gould. It is a post-war book about, well, camping out! He was a Federal soldier during the war.

He speaks of lining a blanket. He recomends sewing only 3 sides of the cotton lining, leaving one end open. This aids in drying out the blanket. Also, he noted that you can stuff extra clothes, leaves, etc in the opening to further insulate yourself.
    [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

Wouldn't the paper used have been "rag" based, as oppposed to "pulp." From the many conversations on this board concerning paper cartridges, the consensus seemed to be that "rag" paper is much more durable.

Maybe someone w/ more specialized paper knowledge will chime in and let us know if using rag paper as opposed to pulp would have any pragmatic effect, here.

Thanks,
      Matt Wright

Comment

Yeah, I would love some paper insight as well, I am thinking that this might me a cool project.-ELI GEERY
        -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
        "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
        "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
        "The Bully Boys"
        "The Hard Case Boys"
        "The Independant Mess"
        29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
        3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

'Twould take a brave (or desparate) man to try this one:

Another practice was, just at sundown, when we were forced to "go to bed", to dip the top blanket in water, wring it out fairly dry, so that, thus being made more impermeable, it would retain the warmth generated by the body.

From an article in the Century Magazine, Cold Cheer at Camp Morton, 1891. Earlier in the account, the writer explains that one blanket was placed under, and two on top, each group of three men, on a strawless bunk.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by Slouch View Post
            read the book "How to Camp Out" by John Mead Gould. It is a post-war book about, well, camping out! He was a Federal soldier during the war.

He speaks of lining a blanket. He recomends sewing only 3 sides of the cotton lining, leaving one end open. This aids in drying out the blanket. Also, he noted that you can stuff extra clothes, leaves, etc in the opening to further insulate yourself.

Just found this book on Google Books, WOW! Full of neat insights. He even goes into some cool details of the shelter half, what it was made of, how it changed to a 3 piece "duck" material etc.. Lots of neat tips from a real vet. Funny how he seemed to dislike the knapsack! I know its post war but this book is a peach, thanks for posting it up here.

Edward Parrott
            Edward Anthony Parrott
            "Humbug"

Comment

Sewing a cotton backing onto a blanket?

I'd like to sew a cotton backing onto a blanket. I've searched around the forum for a couple of hours, and saw a photo or two of blankets that have backings, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Do I apply the cotton in large patches, since it might be difficult to find a single piece of correct cotton the size of my blanket? What stitches should I use around the edge?

And am I correct in understanding that the bottom edge should be left unattached, to facilitate drying?

Any help is appreciated.
              [B]Joe Fox[/B]
              Columbus, Ohio

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Find me a unit. [I]Please[/I]."[/FONT]

Comment

Re: Sewing a cotton backing onto a blanket?

Much of this is an educated guess, based on the widely circulated accounts in period newspapers for drill lined blankets, and a modicum of knowledge of period sewing techniques. Your mileage may vary.

Seam your cotton backing to the correct size. Depending on how you wish to bind the edges, you may wish to leave a 2 inch margin of cotton all around. Cotton drill is the preferred material in the various newspaper accounts.

Place the two layers together. Thread a large needle with heavy thread. Starting in the middle and working out, make running stitches to secure the two layers, being careful to avoid wrinkles. Your job is to sew the blanket in such a manner that the two layers are secure, but this is not close sewing. Depending on the size of the blanket and the weight of the layers, you will likely want to divide the blanket into quarters with the stitches, and then bisect the quarters on the diagonal--always working from the center towards the edges.

The two layers can then be bound on the edge with a wide twill tape--or you may turn the lining over the blanket edge, press under the raw edge of the cotton, and bind all layers together with a running stitch.

I've not seen any accounts of leaving one end unbound.
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I gaurntee if that "double" blanket gets wet any you have to carry it, the coton backing won't be there very long.
                  [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                  Past President Potomac Legion
                  Long time member Columbia Rifles
                  Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Friend-this is from a post war book on camping written by an ex-soldier

'A lining of cotton drilling will perhaps make a thin blanket serviceable. This lining does not need to be quite as long nor as wide as the blanket, since the ends and edges of the blanket are used to tuck under the sleeper. One side of the lining should be sewed to the blanket, and the other side and ends buttoned; or you may leave off the end buttons. You can thus dry it, when wet, better than if it were sewed all around. You can lay what spare clothing you have, and your day clothes, between the lining and the blanket when the night is very cold."

Note-drill is not cotton sheeting but a heavier tighter weave, used in modern time for safari jackets and army khaki uniforms. Having worn both items of clothing, the cloth does have a limited water repellancy. I think the use of the tern lining is deceptive,since we tend to think of lining as being something inside a garment.The reference above to not needing to double the parts of the blanket tucked under the body suggest the intent was for the blanket to be used with the drill outermost. It seems the tight weave would aid the heat retention of the wool nap as well as retard the blow-through effect of wind on heat loss.
                    Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

I've researched this myself. I even tried it. It is a little more comfortable when sleeping (like using a sheet indoors) but not practical to carry. I could tell some difference in heat retention. If you put the cotton to the outside and dampen (not soak) it then it will help to reduce wind penetration. However, not sure if I would try this in the field. Especially in cold scenarios. It is similar to lined clothes v/s unlined clothes except the desired out come is opposite. Lined clothes-cotton wicks sweat away from body making occupant feel cooler and more comfortable. Not really the desired effect from a blanket. Hope this helps.

If you are set on doing it...i'd use a swoop stitch along the top and a back stitch along the sides. Leave the bottom open. This will allow for airflow in between the layers and will DRASTICALLY reduce drying time. This is not based on an original, just a personal field test. However, I think in this case personal experience might be more authentic as I do not know of a Depot lining blankets. I'd like to see one if there is one that exists! Good luck and wish you well!
                      Last edited by lukegilly13; 04-15-2008, 11:30 AM. Reason: more details
                      Luke Gilly
                      Breckinridge Greys
                      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I would go ahead and just don't do it. Luke is right. It doesn't hold heat as well. I know a guy that has one.
                        Cpl. Ryan Halsey
                        Wampus Cats Mess
                        Mossy Creek Mess-SCAR
                        Breckinridge Greys
                        Liberty Rifles

Comment

Working...
                        X