Leather Dye Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Dye Question

Back before the crash there was a thread dealing with dyeing leather and a recipe that consisted of dissolving steel wool in vinegar then adding distilled water to make a black dye for leather. In the ordnance manual there is a recipe for blacking belts that consists of extract of logwood, broken nutgalls, pyrolignate of iron and soft water. My question is two fold, are the vinegar recipe and the pyrolignate of iron recipe similar animals, equivalent or no; and what would the quantities be of the vinegar recipe. I made a small batch of this up just before the crash but failed to save the recipe. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank You!

Mods feel free to relocate if necessary.
    Charlie Thayer

"Confederates were looking for some shoes, which were in short supply in the South because of the Union Blockade. The Confederates received gun fire instead of shoes." Quote of a random student in one of my classes.

Re: Leather Dye Question

Hello, just put some iron filings, old bolts or steel wool in vinigar and leave it in there till it is dissolved. That 's it. The amount of vinegar does not matter but you simply have to dissolve enough iron in it. It can't be too much.
    Try to stain the lather before you use the vinegar blacking by applying extract of logwod, sal soda and water to it before.
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Working...
    X