Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: S Isaac Campbell Knapsack Reproductions

Erik,
    Thanks for the info concerning the different pattern mess tins. I personally wasn't aware of the two variants.
    Respectfully,
    Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Just wondering, what kind of straps do the English packs use to keep on the mess tins? Are they similar to the doublebag overcoat straps or completely different? Any vendors making these at all?
      Jason David

Peter Pelican
      36th Illinois Co. "B"
      Prodigal Sons Mess
      Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Jason,

Original invoices from S. Isaac Campbell & Co, and signed by Caleb Huse, mention "Mess Tin Straps" that came with the knapsack, mess tin and cover complete. The straps were virtually the same width as the carrying straps.

Dave Burt
        David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

If no one has ever heard of them, acwknapsacks.com makes the vast majority of knapsacks seen ...ever lol. They make the Isaac & Cambell knapsack and the english messtin, and some amazing french packs as well.
          Kurt Berntsen

Comment

Kurt, they look good but have any ever been really scrutinized for accuracy? Not saying they aren't but have yet to see an actual assessment of their work in comparison to originals.

Comment

I'm with you, Chris. They offer a number of knapsacks that no one else offers routinely. However, before I jump in with a "whole hog" recommendation, I'd like to see the products for myself (in-person) at a minimum. A qualified opinion based on a comparison with originals would be better.
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

If anyone is interested I believe that Sam Haywood is still reproducing the S Isaac Campbell and the A Ross knapsacks. His website is http://www.deepsouthdepot.com/
                Lewis M Robinson Jr
                Armory Guards
                Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Comment

yes Sam made many knapsacks for me and there as close to the the real as you can get.
                  Jesse Bailey

Comment

I purchased one of Sam Haywood's Issac & Campbell packs about two years ago from Marino's in Gettysburg. The pack was used and is contructed very sturdy and authentic. Very good quality.
                    Brent Conner
                    Brent Conner

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
                    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Dave,,Olsens tinware in KY. makes a fine repro kit, correct cast bail tabs and details ect. slightly lower priced than other sources, great quality and materials. Paul Lopes also several sources for packs around besides MS&Boot.
                      paul lopes

Comment

I've been jonesing over the French pack housed in the Atlanta History Center for several years now. I finally had Sam Haywood make me a copy, and it came out great! I know Sam and his work from our days in the same N-SSA unit years ago. The French pack he makes is my favorite piece of gear, and compares very very well in all aspects to the original pack. Sam's work is just impeccable! Sam also makes many many styles of packs, and should be given strong consideration for anyone looking for an authentic, well made pack.
                        Thanks, Sam!!
                        Paul Manzo
                        Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Comment

Is there any new info out on Bob Serio's (MB&S) version of the I&C? Does anyone own one or have examined one up close? I know he uses a modern paint mix but is there anything particularly off about the reproduction?
                          Not intending this as a "who makes the best" but moreso looking for someone who has compared this particular repro to orginials as they have others discussed in this thread.
                          Luke Gilly
                          Breckinridge Greys
                          Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Working...
                          X