S Isaac Campbell Knapsack Reproductions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S Isaac Campbell Knapsack Reproductions

With the Colin McRae papers shedding new light on English Imported goods to the Confederacy, can anyone point me in the right direction as to who makes the most authentic repro I&C Knapsack and messtin?
    Cannot find any A/C vendor who even makes the messtin, any ideas anyone?

Dave Burt, ACWS, England.
    David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Re: S Isaac Campbell Knapsack Reproductions

Dave,
    I would recommend the Village Tinsmith. They make very good tinware and good English mess tins as well.
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

I believe Village Tinsmith is the only game in town for English mess tins. I think ************ and Missouri Boot and Shoe are the only ones for I & C packs. Good luck finding what you need
      John Greenfield

GawdAwful Mess [url]www.gawdawfulmess.com[/url]

Comment

I have a Village Tinsmith English mess kit in unused condition for sale if anyone is interested.

Comment

Ah, the remember the old days, still have my Sam Haywood Issac and Campbell, remember his H. Ross variant as well, had white buff closure straps. My first Campbell bag was from Radamacher, with a year and a half wait. The Good Old Days.

Lee
          Lee White
          Researcher and Historian
          "Delenda Est Carthago"
          "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think ************ also sells the cover for the Tins.
            [FONT="Georgia"][/FONT] Aaron Bolis
            1st. co. Richmond Howitzers

Comment

All,

I saw this on eBay a long time ago and assumed it was some kind of camp-made winter cap. As it turns out it's a camp-made English mess tin cover! Not sure how it ended up at the museum though:

http://ncmuseumofhistory.org/MOH/vfp...ABASE=63527899,

Pretty slick! Looks like it was made from some captured Federal trousers.
              Brian White
              [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
              [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
              [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

NJ ************ offers an excellent copy of the Isaac & Campbell knapsack, as well as the mess tin covers.

You can see it here,

http://www.nj************.com//OSCom...540b9531d8fbd0

It is a reproduction of the original which resides in the West Point Museum I believe.

And the mess tin covers,

http://www.nj************.com//OSCom...540b9531d8fbd0
                Last edited by Lucky; 12-27-2007, 05:25 PM. Reason: typos
                Brian DesRochers
                Independent Rifles

Descendant of :

Cpl. James T. Ragsdale, Co. B. 6th Missouri Inf. C.S.A.,
                Thomas Motley, Co. E. 7th Arkansas Inf. C.S.A.,
                Joseph, Jasper, Jerry and Luney Ragsdale, 44th AL Inf C.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by LWhite64 View Post
                  My first Campbell bag was from Radamacher, with a year and a half wait. The Good Old Days.

Lee
                  Yup, my first pack was a Rademacher, I've sold it since, but know the fella who owns it and it's till providing excellent service. I waited 26 months for that bad boy and 15 seasons later it's still in great condition.
                  [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Chris,
                    Yeah, sold mine as well to get the Haywood one, just wanted the bigger label back then, but kept the Rady shoulder straps, still use them, so thats 15 years of use on those shoulder straps.

Lee
                    Lee White
                    Researcher and Historian
                    "Delenda Est Carthago"
                    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello All. The Dirty Back Boys make the BEST reproduction of an Isaac and Campbell knapsack that I have ever seen. I just got one for Christmas and, let me tell you, it is absolutely perfect in every detail. The canvas is painted by hand with period paint, the entire thing is hand sewn, and all of the hardware on it is correct. Their website is http://www.dirtybackboys.com.
                      Sincerely,
                      William H. Chapman
                      Liberty Rifles

"They are very ignorant, but very desperate and very able." -Harper's Weekly on the Confederate Army, December 14, 1861

Comment

I have an I&C knapsack on the way from Eric Woods(The Dirty Back Boys). It should be here in the next few days and I will give a review. I will say that Eric has been wonderful to deal with and he gave me a wonderful deal on the knapsack, and every other item that I have purchased from them in the past has been first rate.-ELI GEERY
                        -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
                        "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
                        "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
                        "The Bully Boys"
                        "The Hard Case Boys"
                        "The Independant Mess"
                        29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
                        3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

Hello All,

Eric Woods makes a grea I&C knapsack and after seeing one I can attest to the fact that it is an awesome pack. Hand sewn leather work, period correct paint, excellent craftsmanship. For such a great pack and the amount of hand work that goes into it, $150 is one heck of a deal. Not only are you getting good craftsmanship but you are also getting great customer service, Eric is a great guy to deal with. Don't pass this up if you are looking for a good CS pack. I think he has one left so get on it.

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer
                          Liberty Rifles
                          hardtack Society
                          Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Comment

I got my Kibbler bag from Eric and you are correct about the service. Hands down some of THE best service I have ever rec'd.
                            Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                            WIG/GVB
                            In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Their website says "Latex" for the Kibler, Johnson, and Federal Knapsack... Is the Isaac and the Campbell the only one with Period Correct paint?

Sam Hayle
                              Tin Rooster Mess

Comment

Working...
                              X