This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Provisional Supply Company?

Ken has advised that they are sending one of their improved cartridge boxes to me for evaluation. I will look it over and share my thoughts on it with the caveat being that we all understand what the "standard" here is...that is how it compares to an original cartridge box of the same type. This one is supposed to be the .69 elongated ball US 1861 version. Point being, the question is not going to be "Is this a good box for the money?" It is a fair standard for most of the hobby but that is not the standard in place here. The price is not a factor, only the historical accuracy of the reproduction.

I will see if I can get some pics as well.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Originally posted by Craig L Barry View Post
      Ken has advised that they are sending one of their improved cartridge boxes to me for evaluation. I will look it over and share my thoughts on it with the caveat being that we all understand what the "standard" here is...that is how it compares to an original cartridge box of the same type. This one is supposed to be the .69 elongated ball US 1861 version. Point being, the question is not going to be "Is this a good box for the money?" It is a fair standard for most of the hobby but that is not the standard in place here. The price is not a factor, only the historical accuracy of the reproduction.

I will see if I can get some pics as well.

Thats commendable Craig but we've actually had the experience here in the past that an aspiring vendor sent a work of art for us to review and then when the orders started flooding in, they filled the order with a sub-standard item that didn't even vaguely resemble the piece sent for review.

A blind or double blind review is probably the single best way of assuring that we're getting a true representation of what Joe Hardcore is going to get when he places an order.

This isn't just true with Provisional Supply but with any vendor.
      Paul Calloway
      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
      Proud Member of the GHTI
      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by Duff View Post
        I personal own both a frock and a pair of pants made by provisional. They are both very well made and would be accepted as authentic enough if I walked into a campigner event wearing them. The pants have handsewing, as Matt Lovejoy said, in most visible areas and machine sewing on a PERIOD sewing machine on the long seams. .
        I got the canteen cover,l pants and shirts. Frankly I that pants are solid as is the material for the canteen kit and the strp is outstanding. Not real crazy about the shirts, the collars do not seem right me.
        Ernie Manzo
        Co. C, 1st USSS (NCWA)

Comment

pards,

Thank you all for your comments. I assure you that every item I ship is of a consistant quality as the one before. Re: the contract variant shirts, I am hearing you all loud and clear. I will try to have them improve or I will discontinue. I will say, however, the homespun shirts are excellent.
          I will try to get pictures of those posted.
          Regards,

Ken Friedman

Comment

Paul:
            Either way is fine with me. I am not looking for more cartridge boxes to evaluate and report on, but I am quite curious to see what the Provisional Supply Co "improved" box looks like now that additional information has come to light...and the pics on the website is not what the company is shipping now. I found have my notes from the first review, and they track with what is pictured on the website. Whether the specimen is representative of what they make now or if they are added to Approved Vendor list at some point is purely between the A-C Forum and Provisional Supply Company. There are good products available from sources who are not Approved Vendors, and of course, not every product from each Approved Vendor is always requisite quality. Hence, my only interest is to see what has been done here,and how this specimen compares to an original. I have to take them at their word that the piece is representative.

Inquiring minds want to know...And I'd like to know if a $62.95 box from Provisional Supply Company can take the Pepsi challenge with the real deal, or even the best hand sewn repro boxes on the market. I have handled and inspected samples of almost all of the boxes out there and have some idea of what is currently being produced. And I have seen some costly boxes that were really not all that well made, but not too many inexpensive boxes that were actually well made. And as they used to say of the Birmingham gun makers, nobody makes "best grade" weapons by hand all the time. Workmanship will vary.
            Last edited by Craig L Barry; 01-22-2008, 11:50 PM.
            Craig L Barry
            Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
            Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
            Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
            Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Blue 2 View Post
              Re: the contract variant shirts, I am hearing you all loud and clear. I will try to have them improve or I will discontinue.
              Ken -
              Do you use fishing line in the construction of these shirts?
              Paul Calloway
              Proud Member of the GHTI
              Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

I like their silk flags. http://www.provisionalsupply.com/Flags.htm
                [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Moving Jno. Lloyd post and replies to his post to a NEW THREAD.
                  Paul Calloway
                  Proud Member of the GHTI
                  Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Any updates on this subject?
                    Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
                    Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Hope this is not too late as I'd like to come to Ken's aid here. I did a lot of research in the Delaware and Philly archives to make sure I bought the right stuff for my impression. Ken had that stuff. Maybe at one time quality was not up to snuff, but that's not the case now. Although I can't comment on what stitching is proper or not I can comment on the quality of the leather Ken uses for the accouterments. It is definitely not the cheap Paki stuff. The leather is properly dyed and marked with the appropriate contractor's stamp for the issuing Arsenal. Parts of the coats are sewn with a period civil war sewing machine and the rest by hand to include the button holes. Thread is period type, according to US Army Quartermaster specs. The trouser are of equal quality with parts of the trousers machine sewn and other parts hand sewn. All uniforms bear appropriate contractor stamps and size stamps. Lets face it, we're bigger today then they were in the 1860's, and a lot of guys today couldn't wear the sames sizes they did back then. So I guess some trade offs have to be made somewhere, so Ken's uniforms at least look authentic. I have had several inquiries about who made my uniforms because of the authentic look of the material, and NOT the AUTOMATIC MACHINE SEWN off the rack look. They NO WAY look like the suttler row and paki fuzzy wool look. Its quality workmanship and materials.

I'll be at High Tide this year, and if anyone wants, I'll make them available for examination. :D

Corporal Bill Purdy
                      Company G, 2nd Delaware Volunteers
                      "The Crazy Delawares"
                      Vincents Brigade
                      Corporal Bill Purdy
                      Company G, 2nd Delaware Volunteers
                      "The crazy Delawares"
                      Vincent's Brigade

Comment

Any more updates on the leather gear? More specifically an early war cap pouch?
                        Luke Gilly
                        Breckinridge Greys
                        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

A simple look at their web site will tell you all you need to know about their leather gear. It may be made from the best leather available on the market today, but it is still machine sewn with black thread.
                          It in no way is accurate for discussion on this board.

Dave Myrick

Comment

Thanks Dave! I saw the pictures but from reading the discussion on this thread I thought they may be selling something different that was pictured! I guess I should of figured probably not haha!
                            Luke Gilly
                            Breckinridge Greys
                            Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Some members in our associate units have purchased their gear. I have noticed a very large inconsistency in the output. Some items are great and though still not at approved vendor standards are great repros. The boys who run this company are more than willing to meat with a unit rep at an event and show off some of their items. They often bring gear to events to sell from their tent. These are still active Reenactors so they do not set up sutler tents from what I have seen. Basically it is hit or miss. My advice don’t buy online buy in person so you can personally inspect the item.

Drew Ingram
                              7th NJ CO A
                              2nd Battalion
                              6th Marines
                              WIA: FALLUJAH, IRAQ
                              Last edited by JimKindred; 08-26-2008, 07:47 PM.
                              Drew Ingram
                              7th NJ CO A
                              2nd Battalion
                              6th Marines
                              WIA: FALLUJAH, IRAQ

Comment

I have emailed these guys three times asking to be removed from their mailing list all to no avail. In fact, I never requested to be on their mailing list to begin with. After each request,I received a very lengthy response with a promise to be removed which has never happened.
                                Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                                PO BOX 4849
                                Midlothian, VA 23112
                                www.richmonddepot.com
                                (804)305-2968

Comment

Working...
                                X