Period manners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Period manners

The latest transcription from The Perfect Gentleman; or Etiquette and Eloquence, published by Dick & Fitzgerald, No. 18 Ann Street, New York, New York in 1860:

"An excessive suavity of manners is not only displeasing – it is disgusting – for it is generally a sign of insincerity and deception.

There is nothing more offensive to a gentleman than the puppyism of many young gallants, who are perpetually boasting of the attentions which are bestowed upon them by the fair sex. A well-bred man not only never boasts of such attentions, but he never even admits that he has received them. In this particular the young Japanese lad, Tommy, showed his good breeding, when a lady, in a private box at Niblo’s theatre, said to him, “Tommy, they say the ladies are all very fond of you;” to which he replied, “No, ma’am, I speak American language. Ladies like to speak to me – so do gentlemen; they understand me, I understand them. They say, ‘How do, Tommy?’ – shake hands, and I say, ‘Very well, sir, ma’am’ – shake hands, too. No more.” It will be seen that Tommy sought for a proper reason why the ladies were fond of speaking to him.

No gentleman will stand in the doors of hotels, nor on the corners of the streets, gazing impertinently at the ladies as they pass. That is such an unmistakable sign of a loafer, that one can hardly imagine a well-bred man doing such a thing.

In walking with a lady, it is customary to give her the right arm; but where circumstances render it more convenient to give her the left, it may properly be done. If you are walking with a lady on a crowded street, like Broadway, by all means give her the outside, as that will prevent her from being perpetually jostled and run against by the hurrying crowd.

A well-bred man will not take a seat by the side of a lady with whom he is unacquainted, in a railroad car, unless there is no other seat for him; and if he is compelled to take such a seat, he politely apologises to the lady for doing so, in some such manner as saying that he is very sorry to disturb her, but there is no other vacant seat in the car.

Do not pretend to be what you are not, for no pretension can long hide what you in reality are. The thin veil is soon seen through, and by trying to deceive, in relation to your deserts, you will be judged an imposter in all things, and, as such, kicked out of society.

Do not assume too much for yourself and your family. For the man who gives himself airs of importance only exhibits the credentials of his own insignificance. It is known that the man of real position does not talk about it.

Affectation in anything that belongs to you is only holding a candle to your own defects. Besides, by affectation you insult every company you are in, for you assume that they are shallow enough to be deceived by your flippancy.

Exhibiting yourself as better and more pious than other men is another way of insulting your associates. The devout man never affects any remarkable degree of piety – it is the hypocrite who puts on godly airs.

It is a mark of ill-breeding to refuse praise where praise is evidently due; and, on the other hand, nothing can be more vulgar than indiscriminate and insincere praise. It is the next thing to abuse.

A proud and disdainful deportment is insulting to every company you may be in, and to every man you meet. Every one owes affability and good-nature to society."
    [FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT] Aaron Racine
    [COLOR="Blue"][I]Holmes' Brigade, USV[/I][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Silver"][COLOR="Gray"][I]Macon County Silver Greys[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]"This gobbling of things so, disgusts me much. I think the city should be burned, but would like to see it done decently." - Maj. Charles W. Wills, February 17, 1865, before Columbia, S.C.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by KarinTimour View Post
      b. Women didn't go into barbershops, and avoided livery stables, railroad depots, pool halls and other locales where men were likely to be talking "men's talk."
      My mother wouldn't go into a barbershop except under the most extreme duress when I was growing up in the 1960s ... As for pool halls - forget about it, and she would rather her sons have avoided them as well ... :wink_smil
      "the regulars always do well, and seldom get any credit, not belonging to any crowd of voters"

Darrell Cochran
      Third U.S. Regular Infantry
      http://buffsticks.us

Comment

How funny, I was raised never to enter a barber shop, and when my brother's had their hair cut, my Mother and I waited in the car. It wasn't until my sons hair their first haircut that I took them inside. Since that time, I've always waited in the car, even now, I've never seen my husband have his hair cut!:D

BTW, I enjoy this thread and am sharing the latest edition of men's manners with friends.
        Mfr,
        Judith Peebles.
        No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
        [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

My mother, being an English Royal watcher, past and present, raised my brother, and I to have many of the same polite attributes mentioned in this thread. So, these customs don't seem dated to me at all. This is a fun thread. Thank you for the hard work many of you are putting into this subject!

Your Most Obedient Servant....
          Sean Collicott
          Your humble servant....
          Sean Collicott
          [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
          [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Working...
          X