A-frame tent construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-frame tent construction

Reviewed these forums, the CCR, photos, etc. The photos I have found seem to support each pannel being a single piece - meaning a single piece - about 5 1/3 yards long - from the ground on one side - up and over the ridge pole - to the ground on the far side. Or put another way - I have found no
    photos that show any horizontal seam along or near the ridge pole - just the vertical seams between the pannels.

My question though - does any one know of any photos, documentation, etc.
    that would indicate that each pannel could be made up of multiple pieces of cloth?
    John S. Harmon
    Co. K, 4th US

Re: A-frame tent construction

Having made several common tents over the last few years for use , using the regulations and the article from the CRC, it makes much more sense to sew the tents in the manner you have commented on. The top would be made using the longer pieces paneled together. I have seen no images, photographic or otherwise showing horizontal panels (like that of early Cincinnatti shelter halves), but knowing what I do of governmental tent lofts as well as contractors, I would expect that there was probably rampant use of "piecing", that is multiple pieces of cotton duck used to form each panel. This made complete use of all material without waste, a practice that was used with much frequency by garment manufacturors.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Working...
    X