Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping cartridges/arsenal packs dry

OK, here is the scenario:

You’re told to bring 80 cartridges to an Authentic Campaign event. Said cartridges simulate original cartridge size. You have a sewn pillow ticking non-waterproof haversack, and a ground cloth/blanket roll, no knapsack. Your Enfield cartridge box carries 50 rounds, you have 3 (10 round) arsenal packs made up in your blanket roll to meet required cartridge amount.

How would you keep those extra rounds DRY if it was to rain, and nothing you have is really waterproof? That blanket roll has to come open sometime!

This sounds a bit elementary, but this is an exact scenario I have been faced with, except it stayed dry over the event, but what to do if it rains, to protect those other cartridges?

I figure that the WBTS soldier would only have carried the required amount of rounds in his cartridge box, extra’s in the ordnance wagon? That option is not workable in what I have stated above.

I’ll take good suggestions.

Kevin Dally
    Kevin Dally

Re: Keeping cartridges/arsenal packs dry

Hallo!

For British cartridges...

In the early 1860-1862, the British were using a number of methods to protect Enfield cartridges from the wet: the popular method being that the cartridges were bundled in a "water-proof' bag using the "Boxer" system of sandwiching Indian rubber sheet between two layers of paper.
    The next best was "Abel's" system of 2 pounds of beeswax dissolved in a gallon of coal tar naptha for the waterproof bag paper.
    The waterproof paper bag, was then enveloped in the brown paper wrapper.

However, in brief and to over-generalize U.S. and C.S. cartridges were not protected.

History aside...

One can simply beeswax treat a small drawstring or tied cloth bag that will provide a limited amount of wet resistance.
    But, IMHO, dealing with the wet and the annoyance of damaged or ruined cartridges can be part of the historical experience.

Others' mileage will vary.

Curt
    Just deal with it Mess
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

If perchance you are carrying either a rubber blanket or painted groundcloth, keep them rolled inside that. When time comes to bed down and you unroll it, those extra rounds could simply be tucked in the corner with the blanket / groundcloth wrapped around them and there will still be plenty of room for you. I often wrap my musket in my groundcloth (when not stacked) at night to keep the dew off of it and there is still plenty of room for me beside it.
      Robert Collett
      8th FL / 13th IN
      Armory Guards
      WIG

Comment

Although I have no documented period source for this, I have had success in using a poke bag made out of gum rubber or oilcloth, both of which are available by-the-yard from several sources, and can come in handy as tobacco or ration bags as well.
        Ross L. Lamoreaux
        rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

As Curt mentioned, stuff happens.

At the 2000 Wilson's Creek event I was part of the Missouri State Guard contingent. As did the original Guardsmen, we had 20 rounds apiece, which I kept in the pocket of my civvie sack coat. I had a flintlock, so no caps needed.

Come Friday night, it rained about 6 inches. It was still misting pretty good by the time of the afternoon battle scenario, which made getting a good spark out of my M1816 a challenge, and made cleaning old Bess afterward an even greater pleasure.

Managed to keep my powder dry all the way up to the last scenario, when I stepped on a loose rock and took a headlong plunge into Wilson's (actually Terrell's) Creek in the final assault on Bloody Hill. Soaked everything. I got up, poured the wet gunk out of my bore, gave up on getting the weapon dry, and soldiered on with an unloaded weapon. "Arrested" two skulking blue-coated Dutchmen at the bottom of the hill with said unloaded weapon (I didn't share that minor fact with them at the time, though).

Still had a grand old time. Got dried out sometime the next Tuesday, I think...
          Tom Ezell

Comment

I get a kick out of reading Tom's post, having been told by others about THAT event!

Curt, THANK YOU for posting about the Brit's method of waterproofing their cartridge packs...if you can give references to that info, I'd sure like to be able to see em myself. That same info was posted either by you, or someone else, (some years back) and I lost the document I had it saved to. I WON"T lose it this time around.

Ross's post has merit; a scrap piece of ground cloth wrapped around arsenal packs would work. While I too have not seen a reference to this being done, It’s worth looking into.

Keeping musket wrapped up (when not in a stack), has worked several times for me too. In a pinch, an arsenal pack or two, would not take up too much room in a corner of a ground cloth…it does make me figure that the reason we see so many “dropped” bullets in a group was rain spoiled arsenal packs.

I’ll take a look at all suggestions that come in…thanks.

Kevin Dally
            Kevin Dally

Comment

Ross,

While not in the context of cartridges, Billings mentions rubber poke sacks in Hardtack and Coffee.

Matt Wright

Comment

Hallo!

Herr Kevin..

I would recommend C. H. Roads' "The British Soldier's Firearm FRom Smoothbore to Smallbore 1850-1864." Although done in 1964, IMHO, it is stll a great "Quickie Bible" on the develop of the "Enfield" and other arms and ammunition.
                Chapter VI is on ammunition.

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

"Waterproof" is a major misnomer as far as painted or tarred haversacks and knapsacks is concerned. Think more water-resistant, and that goes out the window when it's really wet.

A couple years ago, I attended an event where it rain heavily for both nights. No tent. My extra cartridge packs were in the knapsack envelope. They, and everything else, got soaked through, my haversack developing a severe case of leprosy as the paint peeled off in chunks.

Carrying packs in pockets, which are further protected by your coat/jacket, or slipped into your spare socks in a knapsack or blanket roll, is about as best most of 'em probably did. Keep in mind that if theirs got damaged, they just threw them away and got more from crates in the ammunition wagon. They also didn't have to pay for them themselves.
                  Bernard Biederman
                  30th OVI
                  Co. B
                  Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                  Outpost III

Comment

gum rubber yardage sources

Originally posted by Ross L. Lamoreaux View Post
                    Although I have no documented period source for this, I have had success in using a poke bag made out of gum rubber or oilcloth, both of which are available by-the-yard from several sources, and can come in handy as tobacco or ration bags as well.
                    Ross,
                    What sources sell gum rubber yardage? Thanks.
                    [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
                    [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
                    16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
                    22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
                    &
                    [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
                    4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Comrades,

If you can track it down, the April 1983 edition of Camp Chase Gazzette has an excellent article on making and packing English cartridges by Geoff Walden. In it he describes fully the various means of packing including the naptha/rubber sealant and the multi-layer bags, etc.

As to what to do with the excess rounds, I would offer this letter from "Letters ent from Watervliet Arsenal" (NARS, RG 156) to whit:
                      ========================================

Ordnance Office, Watervliet Arsenal
                      West Troy, Aug. 11th, 1864

Genl. G.D. Ramsay
                      Chief of Ordnance
                      Washington

General:

In conversation with Capt. Cooley of the 11th Infty. recently, he vp;imteered the remark that there was great wastage of amunition in the Army of the Potomac, where he had been serving, in consequence of the orders frequently given to recieve 50 rounds per man, when the men could take care of only 40 rounds in their boxes. He said that the men would throw away the extra bundle as soon as they got a chance. I think it worthwhile to mention this, as you may deem it proper to make inquiry upon the subject, in view of the large issues just now.

Very Respectfully,
                      Your Obt. Svt.
                      P.V. Hagner
                      Lt. Col. of Ordn.
                      Comdg.
                      ===========================================
                      Tim Kindred
                      Medical Mess
                      Solar Star Lodge #14
                      Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...