Early War Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early War Buttons

Would anyone know of a few good choices for a VERY early war frock coat?
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Re: Early War Buttons

Branch of service letter eagle buttons, i.e. Eagle "I" buttons. Also, "flower" or flat "coin" pattern.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Impression = Enlisted or officer? State I assume is NC. The best buttons are most likely not made. Many of the NC school buttons are found in early war NC camps.

The only suggestion in addition to what roundshot said may be US staff if you are portraying a officer which may have had these buttons while in the US army. Usually takes some rank to wear these. You may also look in Greg Mast's book and see if any buttons on early war frocks can be seen.
      Jim Mayo

Portsmouth Rifles, 9th Va. Inf.
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/9va/rifles1.html

CW show & tell.
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I'm referring to the mid-size branch-of-service eagle buttons which were not confined to staffers. From my diggings around Richmond in the 1960s, particularly in the CS camps along Nine Mile Road (Hechler Village), these buttons were by far the most common found, even moreso than plain eagles. D. P. Newton at White Oak Museum will tell you the same thing about the CS winter camps around Fredericksburg. Fall Creek Suttlery makes nice repros of the mid-size Eagle "I" and "D" buttons.
        Bob Williams

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

assuming your are asking about an early war CS frock, I second the use of coin/flower buttons. You cant go wrong with civilian buttons. Cloth covered buttons might also be cool. NC State seals may be appropriate depending on the unit, ie if your company was raised from a pre-war militia unit that may have had the state seal buttons. I know that their were quite a few varieties of Virginia state seal buttons being manufactured before the war, but I dont know if the same is true of NC.
          [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

The event that I'm considering putting new buttons on my coat for is in April of '61 and the unit is a local militia company from Beaufort, NC. This is even before NC seceded.
            Andrew Turner
            Co.D 27th NCT
            Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

The Regtimental Quartermaster had some nice copper and same in silver(tin) NC state seal buttons. BRI has the same button but has his back mark on it. Ben Tart usually has them in brass as well. The bonus is you can get those in silver wash from BRI too. The silver wash wore off quickly and is rarely seen on original undug buttons let alone dug ones. But they do come out of the ground with traces still there. I like RQ's buttons better after comparing the 2. RQs has no back mark.
              Last edited by Prodical Reb; 01-30-2008, 07:14 PM. Reason: additional info
              [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
              Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
              [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
              Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
              Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
              The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

It might be interesting to know that the 1861 fall and winter camps of the 6th NCST around Dumfries, VA revealed only one NC State Seal button, vs. hundreds of flower buttons. US Ordinance buttons and eagle types were also found. This info is from Howard Crouch's book "Relic Hunter." The point being that these State seal buttons were not in general use until the state started cranking up her resources for the war effort. Over 30 of the distinctive 6th NCST buckles were found in the camp.

If you are a Beaufort Company , your likely source for button stocks would have been Federal stores captured from Ft. Macon.
                Bob Williams

Comment

wow, 30 6th NCST buckles! I found one near Stephenson's Depo, VA years ago.
                  [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

I'm portraying the militia at the capture of Ft. Macon on April 12th, 1861 so I think Ft. Macon captured buttons are out of the question. Probably coin or flower would be best.
                    Thanks,
                    Andrew Turner
                    Co.D 27th NCT
                    Liberty Rifles

Comment

...Ft Macon...
                      The Goldsboro Rifles wore State Seals prior to the war. Isn't there a decent collection of artifacts at the Fort? If Paul Branch is still there he'll be your go to guy on this. (252) 726-3775
                      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

SEMI-WEEKLY RALEIGH REGISTER, January 30, 1861, p. 3, c. 3
                        N. C. Military Buttons.—We call attention to the advertisement of the Captain of the Goldsboro' Rifles, offering for sale North Carolina Military Buttons, at 33 per cent. less than they can be purchased elsewhere. We have received specimens of both the large and small button, and unhesitatingly pronounce them very handsome.

SEMI-WEEKLY RALEIGH REGISTER, January 30, 1861, p. 3, c. 7

N. C. Military Buttons.

The "Goldsboro Rifles" having procured a complete sett of Dies of the State Arms, are prepared to furnish Buttons for all the North Carolina Military Companies, at 33 per cent less than they can be purchased elsewhere.
                        All applications must be made to the Captain.
                        M. D. Craton,
                        Goldsboro, N. C.

"GOLDSBORO / * RIFLES * " dm between rings of dots, Scovill produced ca 1860.
                        Tice page 71 Scovill Manufacturing item count #63 [B7-14]
                        Back pictured is from NC2, North Carolina staff (B4985).

Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 01-31-2008, 09:38 PM.
                        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Working...
                        X