Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cravat Riding Up?

Hello,

I recently starting my long-ago bought ************ spring-loaded cravat in earnest. It's great, but I can't figure out a reliable way to wear it without it riding up. If I don't watch it constantly I'll see my neck showing through the bottom. I can't think of any great solution to this problem, but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how it was solved.

Thanks,
    Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Re: Cravat Riding Up?

I thought there was a way to button it onto the shirt alpong with a collar?

Frank Long

Comment

Mine did the same thing and drove me batty. I slit the material on the backside the width of a shirt button and slid my top button in there and it rode fine. I would caution you to make a clean slice with a sharp knife and to watch the wearing of the material.
      Joseph Hofmann

Comment

I would suggest learning to tie a cravat and getting a tie it yourself version. That way you can tie it in a style that is good for you and it won't ride up.
        Andrew Turner
        Co.D 27th NCT
        Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Andrew,
          The version he has IS a pre tied version supported by a steel band around the neck.

All,
          I would welcome ALL suggestions on this, as I have the same issue.
          Last edited by coastaltrash; 02-06-2008, 11:16 PM.
          Patrick Landrum
          Independent Rifles

Comment

A suggestion. You might want to cross post this over in the Civilian section. Most of them dress a whole lot fancier and prettier than we typically do and they are sure to have a larger bag of tricks from which to draw.

Kace
            Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
            7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Comment

My mistake. I just assumed that most spring steel cravats were pre-tied.:)
              Andrew Turner
              Co.D 27th NCT
              Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

That's interesting. I have a steel-banded cravat by ************ which has a pre-tied bow. I have never seen a banded cravat, steel-banded or buckle, that one has to tie. I did not have much success with mine. After wearing it in the field, the fabric shrunk, the steel band broke one of the seams, and the bow finally broke loose and had to be sewn back on. Finally, after the steel band started bothering my neck, I opted to purchase a "tie it yourself" silk cravat. As previously suggested, I believe that one way to solve your current problem is to cut a slit in the cravat in order to attach it to your collar button. By the by, I am wearing the steel-band cravat in my avatar.

CY
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]Christopher P. Young[/B]
                [/FONT] [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com"]Army of Tennessee[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.antebellumpoliticing.blogspot.com/"]Our Federal Union, It Must Be Preserved[/URL]
                [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Of all the properties which belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of character." Secretary of State Henry Clay, July 27,1827[/FONT]

Comment

Chris,
                  My wording was incorrect and fixed it in my post. I've got he same steel cravat everyone else has. The steel banded one was given to me, and I personally own one black polished cotton tie, which is tied and has a buckle adjust, and 2 pretied examples- the 3 of which I prefer over the steel trap.
                  Patrick Landrum
                  Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
                  X