Hardee's when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardee's when?

I have often wondered about the starting dates for the observance of the Hardee drill manual throughout the ANV. I saw something that really piqued my curiosity that Neill Rose posted some time ago from a website. It was from the "Old South Military Antiques" website. You can see the "16th Virginian's Handbook" and read about the book and it's owner William Montague by going here...

Here is my question. If Montague was part of a formation in the Norfolk Light Artillery in March 26, 1862, then when did he have a need for the Hardee Infantry Manual that was printed in 1860. Earlier than that? And, how was it a 16th Virginia Handbook used Hardee if they were using Gilham's?

What say you? Just curious.

Mark Berrier
    North State Rifles
    Mark Berrier

Re: Hardee's when?

Maybe he acquired the handbook after the switch to the 16th Infantry. Also, perhaps he was in a pre-war militia unit? It's quite possible that the worth of the handbook to Montague may have been the sections other than the infantry drill.

Now, as to your larger question about a switch to Hardee's "throughout" the ANV, I'm curious about that myself. I have never seen any General Orders or Special Orders, on any level in the ANV, to indicate such a switch. If such a switch did occur, on a large scale, I would be interested to know when, and see the documentation, myself.

Eric

Eric
    Last edited by Dignann; 02-11-2008, 04:03 PM.
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Can't answer for the ANV (at least not yet). However, I think it's safe to say these these Western dudes switched over in a timely fashion:

Head Quarter[s], Hardees Corps
      Tullahoma March the 7th 1863

Genl Ord } 13 (77)}

I desire as soon as the weather will permit to inspect person[al]ly each Regiment & Battalion of your Division commencing with Browns Brigade
      After each Regiment and Battalion is inspected each commanding Officer will be required to drill his Command in the following movements

I. The different modes of forming line of battle from Column of full distance
      II. The different modes of ploying into Colum[n] at half distance
      III. The different modes of forming line of battle from double column at half distance
      IV. Marching by the flank to form line of battle on the right by file into line
      V. To change front perpendicularly forward or to the rear on the right of left company
      VI. To march in line of battle

(Sg) W. J. Hardee
      Lt. General
      Official
      C G Rogers
      A. A. Grl

Source: 23rd Tennessee Battalion Order Books, National Archives, RG 109.

And woe to those who failed the examination.... The above gives me a mental picture of bleary-eyed commanders thumbing through their manuals and frantically trying to get up to speed before "The Old Man" came 'round.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by Dignann View Post
        Now, as to your larger question about a switch to Hardee's "throughout" the ANV, I'm curious about that myself. I have never seen any General Orders or Special Orders, on any level in the ANV, to indicate such a switch. If such a switch did occur, on a large scale, I would be interested to know when, and see the documentation, myself.
        Eric,

Ever seen the article about Hardee's wartime legal battles involving copyright for his manual? If not, send me your e-mail and I'll fire it to you.

As for adoption of Hardee's manual, it appears the decision to use it exclusively was apparently made very early on (i.e. late spring or early summer 1861). However, I'm sure, the changeover undoubtedly took a while. The Military Affairs Committee reported a resolution, on 7 May 1861, to the Provisional Confederate Congress authorizing the Secretary of War to purchase and distribute 10,000 copies of Hardee's tome at $1.00 apiece. Even assuming things went swimmingly, printing and distribution of the same likely took weeks or even months.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mark,

If you're referring to Thomas Conn Bryan's "General William J. Hardee and Confederate Publication Rights," yes, I do have a copy. If it's a different article, I'd be curious to know about it.

I have seen reference to the CS Congressional authorization, but have never seen any evidence to suggest that it was ever carried out.

Eric
          Eric J. Mink
          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Originally posted by Dignann View Post
            Maybe he acquired the handbook after the switch to the 16th Infantry.

Eric

Eric
            Eric, I knew this question would get you interested.

Well, it states he was mustered in as a Corporal of the 16th April 18, 1861. I just found that interesting. I don't know about the History of the 16th Va, but that may also tell us something too.

Mark Berrier
            North State Rifles
            Mark Berrier

Comment

Working...
            X