Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobo or Tennessee roll.

Hobo or Tennessee roll.

As part of my trying some thing different every year. This year I was thinking about carrying a Tennessee roll instead of a back pack.

I was thinking about how to do it and was wondering about using the cartridge box strap with a couple of strings or shoelaces. I have not found any documentation of how any Tennessee rolls were done other than using rope.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make a correct Tennessee roll?
    Thanks,

Mark C. Foster
    Flint, Mi

Re: Hobo or Tennessee roll.

Originally posted by Uncle Pig View Post
    I was thinking about how to do it and was wondering about using the cartridge box strap with a couple of strings or shoelaces.
    A good rifle sling (If you have one), would be a better choice than your cartridge box strap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
    Cincinnati

Comment

I used to use an Enfield sling and two greatcoat straps, I offset the straps so the roll rode vertically in the center of my back. It was out of the way and pretty comfortable. I saw what appeared to be a similar arangement carried by a gentleman in a group picture of Confederate prisoners ( I believe from the Petersburg era). Nowadays I'm a firm knapsack convert.
      John Duffer
      Independence Mess
      MOOCOWS
      WIG
      "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

The rifle sling and two blanket straps works well. Fold your blanket so it is about shoulder width and roll it. Tuck the trailing edge of the blanket under the roll by about two inches. That will give you a tight roll. If you wish, you can roll the blanket and ground cloth together. Run the blanket straps through the loops formed at the end of the sling (where the swivels normally attach to the sling). Then wrap the blanket straps around the blanket roll and secure with the buckles on the straps. Use the rifle sling to adjust the fit of the roll on your body.
        Regards,
        Dan McGraw
        GG-Gson of Patrick Maher, Co E, 1st Minn Cavalry
        GG-Gson of Charles Orth, Co G, 2nd Minn Infantry

Comment

I also appreciate the input here as I am thinking about using this arrangement at Pickett's Mill (New Hope) and Stone's River instead of the usual blanket roll.
          Robert Collett
          8th FL / 13th IN
          Armory Guards
          WIG

Comment

I use a rope. Hard to keep track of persoanl itmes though.

RM
            Rod Miller
            [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
            A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
            1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
            1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
            1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
            1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
            Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
            1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
            Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Hallo!

Although not part of the original question...

I use a bedroll from time-to-time. IMHO, it is less bulky and easier to shift from hip to hip, etc., for comfort. A narrow suspension device such as rope or sling works, but if the blanket is full and heavy, it may cause "shoulder bite."

What I dislike the most about rolls is using them to carry other personal and camp items rolled up in them. NOT that they do not roll up, just that I find it somewhat "inconvenient" to take everything in and out. This seems to be a bigger problem in the rain, and particularly in the pre-dawn darkness trying to get a jump on reveille or for middle of the night marches. ;-) :-)

Others' druthers, and mileage will vary...

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                Hallo!

Although not part of the original question...

I use a bedroll from time-to-time. IMHO, it is less bulky and easier to shift from hip to hip, etc., for comfort. A narrow suspension device such as rope or sling works, but if the blanket is full and heavy, it may cause "shoulder bite."

What I dislike the most about rolls is using them to carry other personal and camp items rolled up in them. NOT that they do not roll up, just that I find it somewhat "inconvenient" to take everything in and out. This seems to be a bigger problem in the rain, and particularly in the pre-dawn darkness trying to get a jump on reveille or for middle of the night marches. ;-) :-)

Others' druthers, and mileage will vary...

Curt
                I tend to prefer a blanket roll over my shoulder simply because I find it more comfortable and knapsack straps can be very unforgiving when you have the thing all day long. My shoulders were stiff and sore for a few days after Outpost last fall.

Curt,
                I certainly understand what you mean about bedrolls not being the most accessible commodity in the field. Maybe since I don't carry a knapsack often enough, I don't know the most efficient way to get in and out of them, but I've found that unbuckling all those straps, getting what I need, then repacking that portion of the bag, then re-buckling all the straps can take some time as well. But, I do enjoy carrying a knapsack, despite their shortcomings.

I guess the best suggestion for people is not "I wear a knapsack" or "I carry a bedroll," but suggesting the more efficient ways of packing and carrying. And as Curt says, others mileage may vary. There are plenty of threads on the boards that give some pretty good packing suggestions, too.
                Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Hallo!

Very true, there are real and perceived advantages and disadvantages to any "carrying method."

For the times I use/used a federal or I, C, & Co/British double bag type knapsack, repacking it was not an issue because usually always all I had "out" was a gum blanket and a blanket. I carry the blanket folded up and went in one bag, and the folded up gum blanket went sandwiched between the two bags.
                  So the knapsack "went back together," to be worn, in a few minutes and a few straps.

But, over the years and scenarios/impressions, I have used all three- knapsack, blanket roll, and bed roll.

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I thought I would throw this out there as this is a great portrait in so many ways, one of which is he has a “hobo” roll. Too bad he isn’t wearing it.
                    Attached Files
                    Dane Utter
                    Washington Guard

Comment

Robert,

I'll be carrying a short roll at Pickett's Mill as well. I really like this configuration not only because of the simplicity but because it makes me carry less stuff than a knapsack. It also works out better when that order is given to drop knapsacks.

Rick Atwood
                      Rick Atwood
                      23rd Reg't
                      Va. Vol. Infy

Comment

Working...
                      X