Attaching Box Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching Box Plate

Could someone tell me how to attach a box plate to my Federal cartridge box?
    Thanks,
    Last edited by 27thNCdrummer; 02-20-2008, 05:57 PM.
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Re: Attaching Box Plate

Try the thread below

John Greenfield

GawdAwful Mess [url]www.gawdawfulmess.com[/url]

Comment

Andrew,
      I would find a nice sturdy table (usually I do this on my workbench which is made from 3" butcher block) and lay your box out. Put the plate where you want it and put some pressure on it which will leave two indentations where the loops need to pass through the leather. Using a flat head screwdriver and a maul, hammer the blade through the leather. Repeat for the other loop. Put your plate on and attach it. Just keep in mind that whatever is under the screwdriver blade is going to get a nice gash in it. I have a piece of rubber specifically for this. You can also use a knife to cut the slits, but I would definitely use more caution when utilizing this method. There is the possibility of slicing your outer flap or worse yet.... losing a digit!

Hope this helps!
      Bill Lomas
      Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
      [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
      Hatboro, PA 19040
      [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
      [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Comment

I basically did the beginning of Bill's suggestion (pressing the plate to get the 2 marks), but then I just used the leather punch on my Leatherman tool, and punched through the leather, lickety split! Then, I put the little rings of the plate through, and I used an old piece of leather shoestring from one of my brogans, and put that through the loops with about 2 inches extra on each side of the loop. Works great, and the loops won't be bent and break off after repeated bending (should I need, and have needed, to remove the plate)
        -Ty "Tic-Tac" Gladden
        Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry
        One of the "Three Jesi", and founding member of the Shire Mess.
        Part of the Chocolate People Mess, of the Texmosippiana Society...

Comment

19th century civil war reenacting supplies and uniforms, shoes, leather goods, tin ware, weapons, For Men & Women, Jarnagin Sutlery, French and Indian War, Uniforms, Revolutionary War Uniforms, War of 1812 Uniforms, Mexican War, Uniforms, shoes, leather goods, tin, etc. for Men 1750 1776 1779 1812 1830 1840 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865
          [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
          [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
          [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks Guys. This helps a lot.
            Andrew Turner
            Co.D 27th NCT
            Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

One thing to plan for: If you ever choose to put another plate on the box (for example, switch from a "US" to an "OVM" plate and back again), there's no guarantee that the loops are going to be the exact same distance apart.

Then you can either cut two new slots, or use one of the old ones with a single new one (however it centers best).
              Bernard Biederman
              30th OVI
              Co. B
              Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
              Outpost III

Comment

Working...
              X