This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Tinware Dangerous?

Can someone address the question of lead or other toxics in authentic canteen construction and materials. What was then, what is now (in reproductions) and does any of it get past the wax lining into the water we drink?

Dan Wykes
    Danny Wykes

Re: Is Tinware Dangerous?

What is used now is a modern alloy (sic?) sodder.Because of the FDA,tinsmiths would not be allowed to use lead as a sodder,unless it is simply a display item,and even then...
    And even if it was using period correct sodder,I personally wouldn't risk it.I know it would be period correct,and the chances couldbe smll,but you could still catch lead poisoning.And to me,this hobby isn't worth risking severar health trouble for.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

I suspect that eating the paint chips from the wall in an old house, bitting into a lead bullet, or drinking the tap water in DC is considerably more dangerous than that posed by period lead solder but the gov't thinks otherwise. No matter though, the modern and period stuff functions pretty much the same at filling the cracks and joining pieces of tin together. I have used original canteens and other original tin and pewter ware on occasion and wasn't worried one bit about lead poisoning.

As for the mistaken notion that canteens or other tinware should be lined with wax, the thread at http://authentic-campaigner.com/foru...ad.php?t=14146 probably addresses that adequately already.
      Last edited by AZReenactor; 02-26-2008, 02:29 PM. Reason: added comma
      Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
      1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
      Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Period solder was usually a 50/50 tin/lead mix. This combination will produce lead leach levels three times current standards allowed by the FDA. For that reason all liquid food consumption products need to be soldered with lead free solders today. Wax lining a product would probably stop the leaching but since it won't be a permenant fix, I wouldn't count on it.

Dig around, in some old issue of the Watchdog, there is an article we did on the subject with lab test results.

Pat Cunningham

Comment

Statistically you are at far greater risk of dying on the way to and fro an event than keeling over from reenactment canteen induced heavy metal poisoning.

Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
            Statistically you are at far greater risk of dying on the way to and fro an event than keeling over from reenactment canteen induced heavy metal poisoning. Just sayin'
            Chris -

Actually, I think the worry is that low levels of lead would make you stupid long before you'd ever keel over. The Hatter's syndrome.

So do I trade in my tin reproduction bought in 1999 for a new stainless steel repro from Sutler Row or not? I've been called stupid.

- Dan Wykes
            Last edited by Danny; 02-26-2008, 06:07 PM.
            Danny Wykes

Comment

Mr Wykes

If youre asking me...get a hot tin one from TMD...but you better act fast.

Take that to the bank friend

Comment

Hallo!

In 17 years in the N-SSA, I had fired in excess of 20,000 "Minies" by casting my own rounds and loading by biting the bullet.

My lead tests measure lower the minimum values.

I'm as sane as a loon. ;) :) :)

Moderator hat on...

I do not think discussions of stainless steel canteens are part of the AC Forum.

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Dan,you can use your tin stuff.Modern tinwear uses lead-free sodder.You should be ok.If not,you'll be crazy,which is also fun.
                  Cullen Smith
                  South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Given our recent history with lead and imports, I wonder if anyone has thought to test the imported sutler row tinware?
                    [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
                    [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Vicksburg Dave View Post
                      Given our recent history with lead and imports, I wonder if anyone has thought to test the imported sutler row tinware?
                      David -

Thanks. Goes exactly to the point for the common Sutler row canteens. But even with our high quality approved AC suppliers, where do their materials come from and do they actually know or test the lead content in their solder?

One thing they can be sure of is that such questions aren't of much concern (apparently) on the AC. This thread itself was moved from the Buy Sell & Trade Forum because it was thought to be off-topic there. Since that was the reason given I agreed.

- Dan Wykes
                      Last edited by Danny; 02-27-2008, 02:24 PM.
                      Danny Wykes

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                        Hallo!

In 17 years in the N-SSA, I had fired in excess of 20,000 "Minies" by casting my own rounds and loading by biting the bullet.

My lead tests measure lower the minimum values.

I'm as sane as a loon. ;) :) :)

Moderator hat on...

I do not think discussions of stainless steel canteens are part of the AC Forum.

Curt
                        Curt,

I am in the same boat, although mine was casting lead soldiers from antique and modern molds. I used a Lee Production Pot and old lead wheel weights and any other scrap lead I could locate for nearly 30 years. There were times my fingers were nearly black from handling lead, and there were certainly fumes from the melting pot. However, like you, I also tested to normal levels in all of my blood tests.

respects,
                        Tim Kindred
                        Medical Mess
                        Solar Star Lodge #14
                        Bath, Maine

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                          David -

Thanks. Goes exactly to the point for the common Sutler row canteens. But even with our high quality approved AC suppliers, where do their materials come from and do they actually know or test the lead content in their solder?

One thing they can be sure of is that such questions aren't of much concern (apparently) on the AC. This thread itself was moved from the Buy Sell & Trade Forum because it was thought to be off-topic there. Since that was the reason given I agreed.

- Dan Wykes

Dan,

When dealing with folks on this board who make items, especially tinware, I would have no problem accepting their competancy in the dealing with issues and areas you are concerned with.
                          Tim Kindred
                          Medical Mess
                          Solar Star Lodge #14
                          Bath, Maine

Comment

Danny,
                            You are quite astute in your perception that your question is not of much concern to most in this community, not because we are reckless but because the issue relatively benign in the larger scope of things. I think you may be hard pressed to find non-lead free solder any where in the US unless you make it yourself. Then there is also the whole question of lead actually being the bogey man that the media would make it these days. From everything I've read it takes an awful lot of lead exposure to be any real danger to adults, at least at low velocities.

EPA info on lead
                            Last edited by AZReenactor; 02-28-2008, 08:34 AM. Reason: add link
                            Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                            1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                            Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Dan,

Understanding your concern...your question would be best asked to one of the vendors now offering tin goods. I'm sure that if asked nicely they would have no problem answering yes...or no.

To be blunt...I have much greater concerns then lead solder....but if I paid them any attention this wouldn't be the hobby for me. Maybe I should look into cyber campaigning...:D

Regards,
                              [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]Cody G. Farrell[/SIZE][/FONT]
                              [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]UpStart Mess[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT] - [URL="http://www.geocities.com/codygfarrell/homepage1"]http://www.geocities.com/codygfarrell/homepage1[/URL]
                              ETHC
                              [FONT="Georgia"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"]Texas Ground Hornets[/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] - [URL="http://www.texasgroundhornets.com/"]http://www.texasgroundhornets.com/[/URL]
                              [I][SIZE="3"][B][U][FONT="Georgia"]Texas State Troops[/FONT][/U][/B][/SIZE][/I] - [URL="http://texasfrontierbrigade.googlepages.com/home"]http://texasfrontierbrigade.googlepages.com/home[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X