Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Zouave Jacket

Meine Damen und Herren,

I would like to ask for help in figuring out a Zouave jacket. It was purchased back in 1997 or so by a German vendor usually specializing in Native American and other Frontier goods; it was simply advertised as a Zouave jacket. Except from the fact that the jacket was made in the UK, the vendor could not convey any other useful information when I emailed him recently. There are no marks of identification (manufacturer, size, etc.); it is a small size; it lacks buttons; the piping is a reddish orange (which unfortunately comes out more as pink in the photos).

My questions: Does the jacket bear any mark by which it could be attributed to a unit? Or is it just a "generic" Zouave jacket?

Thank you for all your comments and remarks, I appreciate them!

pictures:

Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
    Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Re: Unknown Zouave Jacket

It could possibly by a copy of one of the various French zouave styles. There was some units that had a differing sleeve trim but the type your jacket had is one I'm not sure I've seen before.
    [B]Jonathan Hartness[/B]
    [I] G,G Grandson of Hiram Hartness Co. C, 4th NCST[/I]

Comment

Hi,

It looks to me like a Wheat's Tiger zouave coat, but it did not have trim on the sleeves like this one does. I do not think it is a generic jacket, because almost all zouaves and some sort of trim on the chest in different patterns per unit. I agree with Mr. Hartness that it could be a French style, because according to military obsevers from Europe the Americans altered the styles drastically, so it would not line up with the general Civil War style.

Andrew Kasmar

4th Missouri Company E
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by Benedict View Post
        My questions: Does the jacket bear any mark by which it could be attributed to a unit? Or is it just a "generic" Zouave jacket?
        Gruß Gott Herr Bremen!

I can't wait for Shaun Grenan to get on this thread. He's the Zouave expert out of anyone on this Forum, hands down. But, until he responds to this, I'll put in my two cents.

Personally, I don't think this jacket was derived from any zouave unit (from the days of the French Foreign Legion to the Great War). My claim is fairly intense but most zouave uniforms had a few typical designs (i.e. tombeauxs, elaborate trim, copious amounts of buttons, etc.). And it's certainly true to say some units didn't have those signature tombeauxs [e.g. 14th Brooklyn, 1st Louisiana Special Battalion, 1st New York Fire Zouaves, 44th Virginia, etc.], but they at least had other features.

This jacket has only two distinctive characteristics: it's short and collar-less. The cuff design really gets me because I've only seen jackets with chevron-type variations.

I'd recommend floating around the Zouave Database (http://www.geocities.com/zouavedatabase/) for a while. But this jacket looks like it's not based on any period pattern (my respects to the maker :o).

Hope this helps until the cavalry arrives!
        Jason C. Spellman
        Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

I wonder if it's not a ladies zouave jacket based upon its small size. They were quite the fashion rage for a while and some were made in England. There's one in the museum of London (ladies fashions) but the style is a bit different. It's not like any French Zouave pattern I've ever seen although the sleeve trim is vaguely similar to that worn by the Zouave company of the 41st NY Infantry.
          Das ist meine meinung aber vieleicht nichts wert!
          Last edited by roundshot; 02-29-2008, 06:18 PM.
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Jede Meinung ist etwas wert!

Thank you all for your comments so far. I've gone through pictures on the web (thank you Mr. Spellmann for the link, I have not known it before!) and uniform books I possess, but as has been stated before, certain characteristics are missing. The option that it might be a ladies jacket is not far-fetched and perfectly possible. Judging from pictures and some of the stated units, it might be a Tiger Rifles (officer) jacket or Company A, 41st NY ("The uniform of company A is that of the original Turcos, consisting of dark blue jacket, braided with red" http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic...41stInfCWN.htm) If I remember correctly, buttons might have been on the garment, but were removed- I shall have a look at it again.

Thanks again, maybe there will be some more enlightening comments!
            Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
            Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Working...
            X