Patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patterns

Would anybody know of a good source for authentic patterns? I'm looking for confederate and federal patterns as well as some civilian shirt patterns.
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Re: Patterns

Hey,
    here is Childs web site: http://www.crchilds.com/ He has patterns for both federal and confed. If you are handy with drafting you can alter some of these patterns to fit civilan wear as well. Thats the only place i know of But I'm sure there are others. Also if you have any worn out clothing that were cut correctly, you take them apart and use them as patterns, at least you already know how they fit:)
    Wade Rogers

Comment

I would concur with Charlie Childs patterns being topnotch, and would add several patterns from Homespun Patterns, available through James Country Mercantile. Although there are some detail issues with some of their patterns regarding fit (mostly with the civilian patterns) they are easier to understand and come with decent instructions and period recommendations. I would also throw out there for you to look into kits from Wambaugh, White, & Co., as well as Ben Tart. As an aside, I would normally warn against using existing reproductions as patterns, unless you know the particulars of who made it utilizing what research and patterns, as then you are only producing a reproduction of a reproduction.
      Ross L. Lamoreaux
      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

My wife has made some of my clothing, she even sews,and assists for a sutler. I recall her saying that the Home Spun patterns are not very good, not sure if it was the authenticity or just hard to follow, she never said. She has used other patterns with better luck. She has been sewing for about 30 years.

I don't sew, heck I even get my son to sew buttons on when they pop off. I do own a houswife, and I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express(not at an event though).
        [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Past Patterns is a decent place to go. Not many CW military but they have a good drawers pattern I liked a lot. Their directions are also amazingly detailed and they use pictures a lot. However, no matter how detailed any directions are for sewing, it takes practice and at least a few screw-ups to figure it all out. So, if you are into the sewing, take your time and be patient. But, when you're done you'll enjoy your item even more than if you bought it. You really take new a sense of pride in your impression.

Evan O'Dell

Comment

Working...
          X