How to make Quilted Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make Quilted Hats

Would anyone know how to make a quilted hat? What materials do I use, what is the steps in doing it, etc.
    Chad Wrinn

Re: How to make Quilted Hats

Chad, what materials are used in the originals you're looking at? If you could post images or link to images of the originals, it's often possible to "back engineer" them from a sewing/construction standpoint.
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

I was just wanting a generic quilted hat that has been documented to the Army of Tennessee. I would prefer that the hat has a flat top and the side pieces, that makes it appear to have a "squared" look. My main problem has been, making the fabric stiff enough to be made into a hat.
      Chad Wrinn

Comment

Hi,

I am also interested in making my self a quilted hat. But I was wondering how to make a bee hive version like the one in EOG Confederate equipment Page 171. I also have had problems trying to get the hat stiff, any information would be helpful thank you.

Andrew Kasmar

4th Missouri Company E
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I too would like to make one. I have had no luck with my investigation and experimentation.
          Does anyone one know of a good source?

Thank you!
          Coy Hall
          Coy D. Hall, Jr
          4th Texas Co. E
          F & AM Cedar # 60
          Clarkston, Michigan

Comment

Two fellows come to mind that have recently made hats that you fellows speak of. The first is Cody Mobley and the second is Nic Clark. Both are friends of mine and I have seen examples of both of their quilted hat work. You can not really go wrong with either. Both are members of this forum.
            Mitchell L Critel
            Wide Awake Groupie
            Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Sounds like there's a bit of a market out there for a willing vendor (nudge!)
              ;)
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I have one by our venerable Ross Lamoreaux. Made of gray jean with med. green tape and 110% hand stitched. It fits great and is a joy to wear!
                Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                WIG/GVB
                In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

I'll join the ranks of the underskilled fellows who wish to know how to make a Quilted Hat...
                  Tyler Gibson
                  The Independent Rifles

Comment

Quilting generally stiffens and reinforces fabric, so the stiffness you're looking for may be simply a product of quilting the outer and inner layers together with any wadding layer there might be. More quilting stitches equals more stabilization.
                    Regards,
                    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Originally posted by ElizabethClark View Post
                      Quilting generally stiffens and reinforces fabric, so the stiffness you're looking for may be simply a product of quilting the outer and inner layers together with any wadding layer there might be. More quilting stitches equals more stabilization.
                      Very true. Look at the stitched/painted canvas accouterments, alone, the cotton drill or duck is rather flimsy, but when it is quilted and stitched together, it takes on rigidity even before it's painted. The reason is that you are limiting the movement of the fabric by tacking it to another piece of fabric. The thread used also adds body to the piece.
                      Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                      WIG/GVB
                      In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

There was an original black quilted hat on display at the state capital in Missouri. It belonged to a member of the Missouri State Gaurd. Years ago my father had a pattern made from it and had several hats made. I think he still has one or two in the barn. This has been 20+ years. I will see if I can dig up the information on the hat.

Chris Talburt

Comment

Chris, was that hat black from the fabric being dyed black? Or was it from some form of waterproofing? Thanks.
                          Thomas N. Rachal

Comment

Very interesting !

Can somebody explain how is the most authentic way to sewn the hat’s body to the brim, please ? (If possible, good repro ’s inside or close views pictures may be very appreciate for help)
                            [I]Gettysburg 1993
                            Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

From the ones I have seen the brim and crown are made from the same pieces of fabric.
                              Mitchell L Critel
                              Wide Awake Groupie
                              Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Working...
                              X