How to make Quilted Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to make Quilted Hats

Thanks for all of your help it was greatly appreciated.
    Chad Wrinn

Comment

Originally posted by fahtz View Post
      From the ones I have seen the brim and crown are made from the same pieces of fabric.
      From the same pieces !!! I had don't thought of that !!! Not easy to draw a pattern !

Thanks, Fahtz !:)
      [I]Gettysburg 1993
      Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

Fellows,
        As I have built a few of these "abominations", I may be able to help some out with a plan.
        First, take you head circumference, add a stitching allowance and about an additional 1/4 inch (this will take up for the quilting). Cut 3 pieces of this length and 5in or higher (your choice), one of canvas, and 2 of jeans (or you can do one of jean and one of a cotton lining)You'll also need to make a circle of your head's circumference and add a stitch allowance to that. Make 3 like the body. Now you need to make the brim using the head circumference plus your desired brim width (about 4 inch should do). This can be done with one large piece of cloth or you can piece them like the farrows of a wheel. This is how I've done it. It take a little figuring out, but when you do it, it give a little more rigidity with the extra stitched seams. Cut the jean for the upper and lower brim and one of the canvas. Note, when you cut the hole for the body of the hat, you will need to use the head circ. minus the stitch allowance. This is because when you put it together that will be taken up when attatching the brin to the body. Stitch the jean body and the canvas as one, and then the lining seperate. put aside.
        That the brim pieces and baste stitich around the outer and inner holes. You can go to quilting this in either a series of stitiches that run across the brim or you can do it with concentric circles. The outer edge is then trimmed with 1" wool or cotton twill tape, folded in half and applied. Now if you want to give it a bit of a curl, then you will actually used less tape than the true outer circ. and pin it in place, and fitting the brim to the tape. It is a bit of a bear...but it works. Once this is done, take the body (now the jean and canvas) and stitch it to the brim. You will have to be patient as it can be difficult. Stitching it by hand will make it lay easier and not having the maching problems with the fabric moving. Set the lining in place (either baste or pin), fold under the raw edge and whipstitch in place. Now you can go to quilitng the body. You can put vent holes in the side if desired. Once you've finished quilting it, you can put a band of twill tape about the base of the body.
        Enjoy wearing a quilt on your head. I know there is evidence to these being worn, but I personally am no fan of wearing them. give me a felt hat or a cap.
        Cheers folks,
        Joe Blunt
        "...don't rush the judgement, until all the facts are in."

Comment

Thank-you, Joe !!! Good job !:)

If you have the time to put on some pictures of your hats....
          [I]Gettysburg 1993
          Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

Working...
          X