Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10th Connecticut Uniform and Equipage

Pards,
    I'm looking for information on the uniform and equipage of the 10th Connecticut Infantry for around May of 1862 when they were stationed at New Bern, NC. If anybody knows of any books or websites that offer this information or if you have it, please reply.
    Thanks,
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Re: 10th Connecticut Uniform and Equipage

Bump, bump.
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Take a look at several of the regimental histories of regiments that were part of the Expedition. There are several available through Higginson books. Ones that come to mind immediately are the two books on the 25th Mass, Wearing of the Blue, and History of Company A (by Putnam I believe), and I think the 44th Mass as well was was present and has a history. Reading regimental histories of other regiments in the brigade or theater of operations will often give you insight into the particular regiment you are researching.
      I am, etc.
      Thomas Gingras
      Awkward Squad Mess
      Columbia Rifles
      Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Andrew,
        Google the Connecticut Historical Society in Hartford, Ct and they can probably help you in researching the 10CVI. That is probably the best starting point for your research.
        Randy Pesut
        2D CONN Heavies
        11TH CVI

Comment

Just stumbled over this thread, perhaps too late. I did a lot of research on the 10th when I was in high school. Unfortunately, most of my sources are back in CT (I'm in Colorado). I do remember seeing a number of portraits of 10th enlisted men and officers in McDowell style forage caps and a few others in slouch hats. I also that the 10th were armed with Enfields and went into the Battle of Roanoke Island (Feb 8, 1862) in gray overcoats. I vaguely recall reading that they were issued Sibley tents early in the war. You might try emailing James Burton, who used to run an extensive (but now dead) website about the 10th. His email addy is jamesidea[at]juno[dot]com.

Oh--I once saw a photograph of a few corporals of the regiment that I've since been unable to track down or recall the source of. It shows them in camp, playfighting with sabers. It's a great image which may shed some light on the unit's equipment. Let me know if you happen upon it.
          Last edited by Dusty Merritt; 05-22-2008, 07:49 PM. Reason: forgot something
          Brendan Hamilton
          Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

We have two canteens id'ed in our collection to Connecticut soldiers. One from the
            5th/15th and one from the 14th. They are both 1855 "bullseye" canteens. They were also both issued out of the Philadelphia depot.
            [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"]Matt Reardon[/FONT][/SIZE]
            [FONT="Trebuchet MS"]"River Rat Mess"[/FONT]
            8th Connecticut Volunteers

[B]Executive Director
            New England Civil War Museum
            Rockville, Connecticut
            [url]www.newenglandcivilwarmuseum.com[/url][/B]

Comment

Andrew,

Not specifically the 10 Conn, but some interesting images at www.lib.unc.edu

North Carolina Civil War Image Portfolio.

Hope this attaches: Some Mass. boys in Sibleys, March, 1863,

Also some unidentified, but probably 44th Mass troops at a Provost building on Craven St. at about the same time:

Regards,
              Kevin Ellis,
              26thNC
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Longbranch 1; 01-06-2009, 12:59 PM. Reason: added image

Comment

I finally found it! This image from the National Archives shows Federal NCOs playing with sabers. I remember seeing this in a book (can't remember which, of course) with a caption indicating these are members of the 10th Connecticut. You can see their Sibley tents in the background. It is also interesting to note that some of the men are wearing what appears to be dark blue trousers. Unfortunately, the National Archives doesn't give any info confirming the regiment or even indicating the date of the photograph. The photo resolution is also pretty bad. If anyone has any further info or a better version, I'd really appreciate it.

Brendan Hamilton
                Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

Tremendous image, Brendan!

I hope someone has the ability to blow up the picture for detail.

In regards to your statement about the trousers, the state of Connecticut issued dark blue trousers to troops throughout the war; with exceptions to some, of course.
                  Last edited by WoodenNutmeg; 01-27-2009, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X