Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Whitened Buff Leather

Good Afternoon All,

I just pulled my Whitened Buff Leathers out of the box they travelled to my new home in Charleston in and noticed two spots where, I surmise by contact with other dyed leathers, they've been stained.** I've attached a picture of one of the stains as an example.

I would like to know if there is a period reference on care of Whitened Buff Leather that I can reference to determine the period-correct method to remove these stains.

Many Thanks...
    Attached Files
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Re: Cleaning Whitened Buff Leather

Peter,

Pipe clay may or may not help with a stain that dark, but it is worth a try. There should be several threads on the subject on this forum, or you could learn more by just by finding a few period references via Google. Keep in mind accoutrements did take a beating in the field.

See you in a couple weeks.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Hallo!

Which is one of the reasons they went to black in 1850. ;) :)

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Sir,

Thank You for the piece of information that opened the lock on information. When I went searching for Pipe Clay, I came upon a dictionary definition that identified terra alba as a synonym with the following definition...

terra alba - fine white clay used in making tobacco pipes and pottery and in whitening leather

terra al·ba (lb, ôlb) n.
        1. Finely pulverized gypsum used in making paper and paints and as a nutrient for growing yeast.
        2. Kaolin.
        A little more digging, probably with a better set of search terms...

That brought me to a rather funny, but informative discussion about eating White Clay and an uncited, but in my mind believable reference that the British used kaolin to whiten their buff accoutrements.

My search goes on, because I am interested in finding a period account or reference in how pipe-clay or kaolin was used. I use these belts primarily for a Marine Impression and want to keep them in good order in a period correct manner. I've seen too many bad Marine impressions were the offender used kiwi sneaker white.

Again Charles, Thanks and I'll see you on the Penisula.
        Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

[LEFT]Howdy,

Here the the descripton for cleaning white buff accoutrements from the 1825 US Army Regulations (p50):

"Buff or white leather will be cleaned as follows:

[I]First Method.[I] Take seveal handfuls of bran, and boil it in water, which afterwards draw off clear; make a paste, of pipe clay with this water, and, when cold, apply it to the buff. Second. Take pipe clay and steep it a quarter of an hour in pure water; change the water and disolve a sufficient quantity of soap in it. This mixture is recommended for the cleaning of buff or white leather. Third Clan the buff with a brush dipped in clar water; leave it to dry in the shade; take white lead, steeped at least twenty-four hours in pure water, (several times changed, to deprive the lead of its corrosive quality) and by means of a brush, put on as many coats of this whiting as may be necessary, taking care to let each coat dry in the shade before another is added. the whiting should be tempered with water so as not to be too liquid or too thick."

The Army regulations of 1835 ordered that the use of white lead as described above be discontinued.

James "Archie" Marshall.
          [LEFT]
          James "Archie" Marshall
          The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
          Tampa, FL

Comment

Kaolin.

Peter, if you buy this shoot me a line after it arrives and I will tell you how to apply it. Please note that this is a mask and not a stain remover.
            B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh View Post
              Peter, if you buy this shoot me a line after it arrives and I will tell you how to apply it. Please note that this is a mask and not a stain remover.
              Garrison,

I did buy. I can understand the quoted directions from the period manual. Is your method different? In any case I will be very greatful if you share your experiences with me and the community at large...
              Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Hello,

If the strap is true buff leather, take a piece of 60 grit sand paper and lightly sand the stain away. While you are at it, sand the whole belt to a uniform texture. Then take "Hoffco" brand liquid shoe dressing and apply an even coat to the leather with the supplied pad. The pigment used in the hoffco brand is kaolin and it is as close as you can get without creating a bio-hazard. I'm sure the purists will knock this technique

Benjamin McGee

Comment

Far be it from me to say one shouldn't follow this advice, but I'd like to see a little more discussion on non-toxic period techniques before suggesting this less than ideal path.

Originally posted by benjaminmcgee View Post
                  Hello,

If the strap is true buff leather, take a piece of 60 grit sand paper and lightly sand the stain away. While you are at it, sand the whole belt to a uniform texture. Then take "Hoffco" brand liquid shoe dressing and apply an even coat to the leather with the supplied pad. The pigment used in the hoffco brand is kaolin and it is as close as you can get without creating a bio-hazard. I'm sure the purists will knock this technique

Benjamin McGee
                  Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                  1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                  Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Hallo!

Just an aside...
                    Today, much that is being sold or passing as white buff leather is not buff leather- just whitened latigo which is a different beastie.

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt_Sullivan View Post
                      Garrison,

I did buy. I can understand the quoted directions from the period manual. Is your method different? In any case I will be very greatful if you share your experiences with me and the community at large...
                      Peter, I happen to know Garrison is away from home for a short while, send him an email and he will get back to you. Tidelands@ec.rr.com, type Ivy in the subject bar and it will automatically go to his mail box.
                      John-Owen Kline

Comment

Hello,
                        Using sand to scrub buff leather was standard practice in the British army for years. Darn! I knew I'd draw fire by suggesting hoffco. Did I mention it smells good to.

Benjamin "the farb" McGee

Comment

Troy, Hope all is well in Arizona... I look forward to standing in line with you again soon...

John, Thanks for the heads up.

Benjamin, my intent was to do the most period correct procedure to whiten my leathers. I don't doubt your method works, but it is not the same as the quoted reference. I am concerned about how or why you feel that using actual Kaolin may be a 'bio-hazard' after all, it is just gypsum clay, nothing toxic that I am aware of. I do not intend to use white lead at all, which is a hazard. I am going to attempt to use the procedure identified from the manual with kaolin steeped in water to make a paste to cover the leathers and view the quality of the result.

Thank you all for the input and guidence...
                          Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Hello all,
                            I received the "white dirt" last week I needed to clean my buff leathers for Manassas. I PM'ed Garrison but haven't received a response on tips of applying it to the buff leather. It is real buff, one set from Nick D and another made by a friend in Virginia. They are stained a little but off color very far from how they were received new a few years ago. Does anyone have the tips or recipe that Garrison passed along on how to apply it? I'd greatly appreciate the help, the buff leathers are one of the last pre-Manassas projects for me.
                            Cheers,
                            Kirby
                            Last edited by VA-Patriot'61; 07-13-2011, 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling
                            Cheers,
                            [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Kirby,

When I've done this... I used a medium sized tupperware type bowl with a cover, this will allow you to aggitate the the white dirt and water to mix it better. I put the white dirt in it, broke it up with a spoon and started applying small amounts of hot water to dissolve the white dirt and form the paste. The problem is one of trail and error. If your paste is took thick it globs on the buff and flakes off easily. If its too thin it doesn't cover well. I used a cheap square cut paint brush for applying the paste. Just paint it on until it looks like it's covered well and then let it dry for 24 hours. If it doesn't apply well, you can touch it up with the paste or redo it completely.

On more point is make sure your belts are cleaned and dry then take a stiff brush and loosen the rough side of the buff so it can accept the paste well before applying.

This process makes a gawd awful mess. Good Luck.
                              Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Working...
                              X