Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavalry Tactics 1841

Hello

I searched during a long time unsuccessfully for a reprint or suitable online-edition of the cavalry tactics from 1841 (in the google-book are all the plates omitted and some other scanning-faults). A few months ago I had the chance to buy a reprint from 1862 of the three volumes.

The books where in a good condition, considering their age, but for intensive studies with endless scrolling, the papers where too fragile. So I decided, to create my own electronic edition on the basis of pdf-files.

I am pleased to present you the fruits of my work under http://www.ruegger.ch/library/poinsett.zip. It's a zip-file of ~18mb. Please extract it to a folder of your choice and start it with the file "start.pdf".

I hope that I have not overlooked too many faults and that the work is useful for some of you. If you have any proposals or criticism, feel free to contact my.

Markus Ruegger

Re: Cavalry Tactics 1841

Markus
    I want to leave a note of great thanks for making Pointsett available in this format. It is difficult to come by and we are so often forced to live by summaries and abridgements of this work. It is wonderful to see the plates and signals as they were left out of the google books.
    I am thankful and will read and use this material in drilling and riding.
    Mark Hess
    Drilling by Pointsett's Mess
    Mark Hess

Comment

Viele Danke!
      RJ Samp
      (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
      Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

All I can say is this is fantastic!! Thanks! and Great Job!!

Trying to use the google books version was next to impossible.
        Dave Gink
        2nd US Cavalry
        West Bend, WI

Comment

After much more than 10 years I thought it is time to prepare a new version of these tactics and the link to the file is as follows:

www.ruegger.ch/library/Poinsetts_Cavalry_Tactics.pdf

The new file is much greater (198MB) than the old one. You should download and use it with a pdf-reader instead of opening it with a pdf-browser-plugin. The changes from the first to the actual version are as follows:

a) all three volumes of the tactics are now in one file, and this makes the navigation easier.
          b) the plates are included as attachments in the file instead of links to separate files.
          c) the plates have been "cleaned" so that they have now a neat white background.
          d) the background of the text is now white alike instead of the "brownish" look which was designed to match the plates.
          e) I have recorded the bugle calls and if you click on a link of them or on the scores in the "book of signals" you can hear the call.
          f) the fonts used in the actual version are a little bit more "authentic" than those used in the first version.

Beside of that, the work is practically the same as the first version beside of the correction of some obvious errors which are designated in brackets [ ]. As before, the file is not secured in any way, and everyone can feel free to use and publish it as he likes.

Kind regards and greetings from Switzerland, Markus Ruegger

Comment

Working...
          X