Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outpost III October 26-28, 2007, Spring Hill, TN

Gentlemen,
    outlined below is the information for the Outpost III to take place at Spring Hill, TN on October 26-28, 2007. This event will be posted on the WIG website along with guidelines and registration forms this week. This is not complete and will be filled in as more information becomes available. But it needs to get out so everyone can plan for it.

Art Milbert

Outpost III
    October 26 – 28, 2007
    Rippavilla Plantation, Spring Hill, Tennessee
    Hosted by the Western Independent Grays

BRIEF HISTORY OF TRIUNE AND NOLENSVILLE AREA

On 26 December 1862, the Union Army, under the command of General Rosecrans, began a southern advance from Nashville which would eventually culminate in the Battle of Stone's River near Murfreesboro. General Alexander McCook’s Federal 14th Corps advanced directly down Nolensville Pike. At mid-morning on Friday, 26 December 1862, McCook’s corps encountered General Wharton's Confederate cavalry at Nolensville. After a sharp skirmish, and several rounds of artillery, the Confederates quickly became outnumbered – over ten to one – and fell back to Knob Gap, and then to Triune. Over the next several days, Union and Confederate troops made their way towards Murfreesboro where, on 31 December, they collided in the Battle of Stone's River. That engagement left over 22,000 killed, wounded, or missing - one out of four who entered the battle.

On 30 December 1862, General Joe Wheeler’s Confederate Cavalry was sent on a raid behind Union lines with instructions to destroy as many Union supplies as possible before the battle expected to occur the following day. Wheeler's cavalry destroyed wagon trains at Jefferson, Lavergne, and Rock Springs before destroying another supply train at Nolensville and capturing over 200 prisoners.

After the Battle of Stone's River, the Union Army maintained camp along a line extending from Readyville, through Murfreesboro and Triune, and on to Franklin. With the Union infantry posted near Triune and Nolensville, the citizens of Nolensville were ideal "advisors" to Coleman’s Scouts concerning Union reinforcements and movements. Hit and run raids by both sides continued with noteworthy engagements at Brentwood, Thompson's Station, Triune, Spring Hill, and Franklin as both armies actively probed to learn the location and strength of their foe.

Active around Nolensville were Coleman's Scouts, a Confederate spy network which were the "eyes and ears" for General Braxton Bragg. The Scouts operated behind enemy lines and were used extensively during the time when the Union troops were encamped near Triune. When captured, as in the case of Sam Davis and Dewitt Smith Jobe, scouts would often rather die than betray their Confederacy.

As the war lengthened, Nolensville slipped further behind Union lines as the battles worked their way to the south. Two years later, the war finally ended and the Confederate soldiers were able to return to their homes and rebuild their lives. Post-war rebuilding was even more difficult because of the destruction of homes and property, the lack of crops and labor, and the worthless money and high taxes that had to be endured.

The Event

The tactical is being hosted by the Western Independent Grays (WIG) who will be portraying the 20th Tennessee Infantry and the 1st Tennessee Cavalry. The Old Northwest Volunteers (ONV) will represent the 89th Illinois Infantry and the 4th Michigan Cavalry.

This event is a Tactical reflecting the movements and operations of regiments after the battle of Stones River and will take place in Spring Hill, Tennessee on October 26 – 28, 2007. The exact location will be the 600 acres behind Rippavilla Plantation. This plantation was the site of Hoods Army before they marched to Franklin on November 30, 1864. We will be on some the actual land on which Cleburne’s men were encamped.

More specific information about movements during the time of December 1862 to February 1863 around Nolensville and Triune, TN appears on the WIG website with this event information.

Registration is $25.00 before October 5th, 2007, $30.00 after. Fees will go to provide rations for both sides, water sources and cover insurance for participants attending.
    Send Registration Form, Waiver Form and Money Order (No Personal Checks) to:
    WIG – Outpost III 2007
    P.O. Box 331
    Thompson’s Station, Tennessee 37179

Point of contact for this event will be:
    Art Milbert
    Western Independent Grays
    Tenthtexas25@aol.com
    615-400-2225

Confederate Overall Commander:
    Art Milbert, Western Independent Grays (WIG)
    Tenthtexas25@aol.com
    Adjutant – Justin Runyon
    Sgt. Major – Brian Hicks
    Quartermaster Sgt. – Kiev Thomason

Company Commanders:
    Company A - John Duffer
    Company C - Patrick Landrum
    Company B - Tripp Corbin
    Cavalry – To Be Determined

Federal Overall Commander:
    Steve Acker, Old Northwest Volunteers (ONV)
    Isaac_hogg@aol.com
    Staff to be assigned

Company Commanders:
    To be determined

20th Tennessee Infantry Regiment
    In April 1861, Joel Battle raised a company of Confederate soldiers that became Company B of the 20th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry (or The Zollicoffer Guards as he called them) at Nolensville. Battle himself was the elected Colonel of the regiment.
    The 20th Tennessee Infantry participated in the majority of the engagements in the western theatre of the Civil War and were legendary in their courage and gallantry in battle. Following the Battle of Stone's River the 20th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry was presented a Confederate battle flag for their gallant efforts in battle. The flag was made from General John Breckinridge's wife's wedding gown and presented to the hardest fighting regiment in his division.

89th Illinois Infantry Regiment
    The 89th Illinois Infantry Regiment, also known as the Railroad Regiment, was formed in July and August 1862. It participated in the battles of Stones River, Liberty Gap, Chickamauga, Orchard Knob and Missionary Ridge, Pickett's Mill, the Atlanta Campaign, and Nashville. It’s brigade commander for most of the war was August Willich and it’s regimental commander for most of the war was Charles T. Hotchkiss. Major John Farquhar- then Sergeant Major- was awarded the Medal of Honor for heroic service at the Battle of Stones River. The regiment was mustered out in June 1865.
    This company was in the 14th Corps, 2nd Division, 1st Brigade and was denoted with a White Acorn on their kepi’s.
    [FONT=Georgia]Art Milbert[/FONT][SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Re: Outpost III October 26-28, 2007, Spring Hill, TN

I'm pleased to announce two of the company officers for the federals at Outpost
    Dave Gerow will lead the ONV company
    Jim Butler will host a SCAR company

I'm waiting for confirmation on the other company officer(s) and will let you know more as the federal side fleshes out. Of course we're looking for federal impressionists to join us so if you have an interest in the event and want to go federal, contact me with a pm or at Isaachogg@aol.com

Steve Acker

Comment

Hey Art,

I might could make this one, but it would be too much of a drive. Good to see things are progressing with the event.
      Chris Utley
      South Union Mills
      [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
      [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

Folks,
        I hope to have the information posted to the WIG website by Monday including registration information.
        [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
        [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
        [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Utley View Post
          Hey Art,

I might could make this one, but it would be too much of a drive. Good to see things are progressing with the event.
          Chris,
          You should rethink this event, I would hate for you to walk out of your back door and trip over the registration table.
          Patrick Landrum
          Independent Rifles

Comment

This sounds awesome! I can't wait to get my impression together!
            Andrew "Abner" Martin
            AKM Dry Goods

Comment

Andrew,

Welcome back!

While you're rebuilding your impressions, if you need any loaner items, let me know. I'll be glad to help get you back in the filed.
              Brian Hicks
              Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Originally posted by Travelin Cornfed View Post
                This sounds awesome! I can't wait to get my impression together!

Andrew....I like the name!

As for this event well I had a blast at Prelude last Oct. and I have a feeling that this one will be just as good or better. Can't wait!
                Andrew Martin
                GHTI/WIG

"Schedule... for anyone who gives a sh*t"
                150TH Manassas July 22-24 2011 (Highlight was finding a 6 pack of piss warm Old Style beer in "Tent City" for $20 bucks! on Sat. best purchase I think I've ever made)
                200th Battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 5-7 2011 (Wow.. a moving and emotional event, had our 4th US Infantry colors dedicated the right way)
                150th Shiloh Mar 30- Apr 1 2012

Comment

Looking forward to this one. Abner its good to see you back in the loop.
                  Timothy L Arnold
                  Top Rail Mess of the Hard Case Boys

Hard Case Boys forum

Comment

Andrew Martin of Pumpkin Patch Fame,

The odd thing is not only do both of you share the same name and age, but also your spouse's names are the same...respectively.
                    Patrick Landrum
                    Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                      Andrew Martin of Pumpkin Patch Fame,

The odd thing is not only do both of you share the same name and age, but also your spouse's names are the same...respectively.
                      Pat,

Hey now, I'm a full 5 months away from turning old at 32!:tounge_sm
                      Andrew Martin
                      GHTI/WIG

"Schedule... for anyone who gives a sh*t"
                      150TH Manassas July 22-24 2011 (Highlight was finding a 6 pack of piss warm Old Style beer in "Tent City" for $20 bucks! on Sat. best purchase I think I've ever made)
                      200th Battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 5-7 2011 (Wow.. a moving and emotional event, had our 4th US Infantry colors dedicated the right way)
                      150th Shiloh Mar 30- Apr 1 2012

Comment

Don't worry, age is a number, youth is a mindset. In that case Runyon has been old ever since I've known him....grumpy old bastard.
                        Patrick Landrum
                        Independent Rifles

Comment

Tim Arnold has agreed to lead a federal company for the Outpost III. Thanks TIm.

Steve Acker

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                            Don't worry, age is a number, youth is a mindset. In that case Runyon has been old ever since I've known him....grumpy old bastard.
                            I guess that makes me about an 18 year old in heart and actions. Ahh, if it were only 1986 again!:cry_smile
                            sigpic
                            Grandad Wm. David Lee
                            52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
                            - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Abner,
                              welcome back. I will echo Mr. Hicks offer and if there is anything that we can do to help you get your kit complete, please let us know. I look forward to seeing you very soon.

Art Milbert
                              [FONT=Georgia]Art Milbert[/FONT][SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                              X