Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Into the Piney Woods: Taylor Retreats Up the Red

Originally posted by Old Reb View Post
    Having just returned from Kisatchie, I must report due to the warm weather and leaf fall it is difficult to tell the difference between fallen leaves and a Copperhead snake. I must say that it speaks volumes that men are willing to come from Europe to attend Into the Piney Woods. I will clear the snakes out before you all arrive.
    What Tom means is he will eat 'em all and might even cook a few for fun and or make jerky out of them.

TGR - mon ami William may have picked the name for "Taylor's Grand Retreat". I like it.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

After being gently coerced by Mrs. Terre, I am under conviction and will try to clear my schedule for this Grand Retreat. Sounds great. I also have enough time to get my 'desk body' back into shape!
      Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
      Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
      Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

Lawrence:

There is no "try", there is only Do or Not.

Get your messmates and start hiking the sandhills of Isle Dauphine in hobnails and pack. Good practice.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
          What Tom means is he will eat 'em all and might even cook a few for fun and or make jerky out of them.

TGR - mon ami William may have picked the name for "Taylor's Grand Retreat". I like it.

It's David (one of three French BGR) and Patrick Reardon who one used the expression " TGR " for the first time in an exchange of e-mail (let us produce to Caesar who belongs to Caesar) and we adopted with our English friends the expression, very naturally:wink_smil
          William Miconnet
          French Mess
          AES
          BGR & IPW Survivor
          Never ever give up!
          In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
          I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
            Lawrence:

Get your messmates and start hiking the sandhills of Isle Dauphine in hobnails and pack. Good practice.

It's true that we have this chance we Europeans to walk more, (many public transportation, shorter distance (in cities), many cycle, walking, etc.) But in our campaigns, the distances are long as to you, thus we make quite by car, Bank, Shoping, etc. (It's not good for the health)
            It is necessary to make of the exercise, because indeed, even if we make this type of event in France and in Europe (many walking on the event) as says it Madame Lawson, the BGR, we make or we make not, not of tries.
            Go, go, go, we make any run 10km by tomorrow morning:cry_smile, it's start same 14-18 (WWI) as we say in France :D
            William Miconnet
            French Mess
            AES
            BGR & IPW Survivor
            Never ever give up!
            I believe!

Comment

Lawrence:

Get your messmates and start hiking the sandhills of Isle Dauphine in hobnails and pack. Good practice
              The difficulty I have has to do with my beloved's birthday! I can't reschedule it, but I may be able to shift the celebration.
              Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
              Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
              Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

Hmmm.

While TGR is nice, I would like to endorse IPW (short for Into the Piney Woods) if folks are wanting a quick set of initials to use.

So it appears that the UK and mainland Europe will be well-represented. Perhaps those a bit closer will support it with equal vigor.

Kind regards,
                Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

TGR that reminds TGV(HST), it’s for that that the sound is pleasant in the ear of the French.:D
                  Especially TGR that rings well in French as in English...:(
                  And then IPW that reminds a mark of computer, a computing program, a virus, a bad no-governmental agency in James Bond.:sarcastic
                  I joke Fred, if you prefers IPW, I start the fashion in France?!:wink_smil
                  IPW I also like, that cuts with the BGR...
                  William Miconnet
                  French Mess
                  AES
                  BGR & IPW Survivor
                  Never ever give up!
                  I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by Rev View Post
                    The difficulty I have has to do with my beloved's birthday! I can't reschedule it, but I may be able to shift the celebration.

I can only give you the opinion of somebody who travelled 8000km for the event (BGR), that is worth upsetting that life and its customs for that.
                    If god wants him, I travelled 8000km in one sense and 8000km in the other sense to be there in March, 2009, it is my blood, my life to be there in 2009:wink_smil
                    William Miconnet
                    French Mess
                    AES
                    BGR & IPW Survivor
                    Never ever give up!
                    I believe!

Comment

I'll bring IPA from the PNW to IPW. A-OK?

But, Tom, I'm not concerned about the big creatures. Please do something about the little ones. Mrs. Silas hates it when I come home with critters. I've still got a decent mark from one of those blood sucking buggers which burrowed deeply, feasted on my flesh for days, and got really fat before being forcefully evicted with tongs and pocket knife. The other ones didn't put up much of a fight.
                      Silas Tackitt,
                      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

That frightens
                        William Miconnet
                        French Mess
                        AES
                        BGR & IPW Survivor
                        Never ever give up!
                        I believe!

Comment

wow. the thought of traipsing that wilderness again....to quote Sam Clemens- "this is sport that makes a body's very liver curl with enjoyment"
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

We should make a clock for countdown same before the year 2000, or notches on a tree with a knife as Robinson on its island...
                            So we wait this event same a feast, same the children Christmas morning in front of the fir tree...:tounge_sm
                            We have to be a little all masochist in fact...:(
                            William Miconnet
                            French Mess
                            AES
                            BGR & IPW Survivor
                            Never ever give up!
                            I believe!

Comment

Do the organisers envisage a mounted element being incorporated into the scenario?
                              Jim Smith, Volunteer Co., (UK)

Comment

I missed BGR....and I'll be damned if I miss this one!
                                Andrew Martin
                                GHTI/WIG

"Schedule... for anyone who gives a sh*t"
                                150TH Manassas July 22-24 2011 (Highlight was finding a 6 pack of piss warm Old Style beer in "Tent City" for $20 bucks! on Sat. best purchase I think I've ever made)
                                200th Battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 5-7 2011 (Wow.. a moving and emotional event, had our 4th US Infantry colors dedicated the right way)
                                150th Shiloh Mar 30- Apr 1 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X