Shiloh AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shiloh AAR

One of the most overlooked, or taken for granted, aspects of what we do as living historians in the field is to try to portray a group of real men of 150 years ago. Men who collectively volunteered their services to their country and in doing so often put their very lives on the line. I have occasionally questioned whether we, when formed up as regiments, even come remotely close to being able to march past a group of original soldiers and be undetected and truly accepted as their comrades in arms.

Well, there were a few moments this past weekend when I felt very much like we were accurately portraying, and in doing so, truly honoring the men of the original 15th Iowa.

Chip Uhlir
    21st O.V.I.
    Chip Uhlir
    SCAR

Comment

Moving the skirmishers by the bugle was definitely a highlight for me. And,a BIG "thank you" again to Mr. Wickett for looking out for me down in the creek bed. I was starting to go down,he noticed,and jumped to help me out. Blowing bugle in the heat takes twice as much hydration so it makes conserving one canteen of water pretty damn hard when there's long periods between water sources. Anyhow, thank you to all for allowing me the opportunity to serve as your bugler,it truly was quite an honor.
      Another thing that really stuck in my mind was when we marched past the Iowa monument. A soldier,from I believe C company, quickly darted out of the column an placed a stone carefully on the monument. A very moving moment.... Camp Chase,you guys rocked it! And,Chad Gray,it was great to get to work with you again!

Best Regards,

Marty Rubin
      Bugler
      Independent Volunteers
      Last edited by The Lonely Reenactor; 04-03-2012, 02:04 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=
        Another thing that really stuck in my mind was when we marched past the Iowa monument. A soldier,from I believe C company, quickly darted out of the column an placed a stone carefully on the monument. A very moving moment.... Camp Chase,you guys rocked it! And,Chad Gray,it was great to get to work with you again!

Best Regards,

Marty Rubin
        Bugler
        Independent Volunteers[/QUOTE]

I brought a geode from Keokuk to leave at the field. Piece of home for the boys who never made it back. It's not so easy to run when you're a bit choked up.

Alexander Vasquez
        Co C. 15 IA

Comment

Shiloh has been the farthest event I’ve been to since I started in the hobby 11 years ago. I’m glad I went as I had a Fantastic time.

Thank you to the rest of the (reconstituted) POCR Boys. We worked together, looked out for each other, shared laughs and hardships alike; and it made the event for me.

To the Minnesota men of Co. F, it was a pleasure to meet you all, I enjoyed serving under and along side of you all and I look forward to the future when I can do so again.

The NCO’s and officers of Co. F were competent, watched out for the men, and acted and served in a capacity that NCO’s and officers did in 186X. Thank you for your professionalism and dedication.

I also must thank the women who had prepared food for Co. F. I was starving Saturday afternoon, and it hit the spot.

While I had a number of moments, but these are a few that stick out in my still sleep deprived mind:

-exhausted and running on only a couple of hours of sleep between Thursday and Friday, when I heard the steam boat for the 3rd boat trip was approaching at whatever God awful hour that was. I simply wanted to board the boat, throw down some food, and then pass out. The novelty of boarding a steamboat and heading down river was lost I me. I wanted only to eat and sleep. Looking back, it was probably a period moment.
          -After we landed and made our way up the road, our mess passed everyone sleeping along the road, recognizing only Co. A 1st Sgt Johnny Lloyd, who was one of the few vertical souls and he asked “what company are you with?” Despite all knowing Johnny, someone among our mess just barked out “Company F” and we all continued on without saying a word. On top of the hill, the sun was starting to come up and we laid out our gum blankets hoping to catch a several more minutes of sleep. When the sun was up, I picked up my gum blanket and realized that lump in the ground digging into my back was part of an artillery shell. After inspecting it and showing it off and threw it back on the ground where I found it.
          -Being near the front of the line of march, I was able to get a good glance of the regiment marching in column. Additionally, after as the artillery bombardment was going on I remained far off to the rear of the regiment as it rested, flags in the center, and the right flank not visible because the continued onto the far side of the knoll. It looked like a painting.
          -Watching camp being broken. The Sibley tents one after another falling in on themselves as their tent poles were removed. It seemed every few seconds one collapsed in on itself only to be followed by another a few seconds later until they were all gone in about a minute and a half.
          -Bob Bowser getting “wounded” Sunday. We quickly unrolled his blanket and placed him on it. Even with four people it was incredibly difficult to carry him on the wool blanket. If we used muskets to create a temporary stretcher it would have worked better, but we didn’t have time for that. A good old fireman’s carry worked better.
          Dane Utter
          Washington Guard

Comment

Originally posted by NY Pvt View Post
            -After we landed and made our way up the road, our mess passed everyone sleeping along the road, recognizing only Co. A 1st Sgt Johnny Lloyd, who was one of the few vertical souls and he asked “what company are you with?” Despite all knowing Johnny, someone among our mess just barked out “Company F” and we all continued on without saying a word.
            I can't sleep at events usually- comes from my past experiences I think. I thought you were Co A's California boys (Bridger Zadina, Rich Magwood, etc.) They were missing and I was concerned they didn't make the boatride over. I needed to know where they were as Co A's Orderly. Our Companies got spread-across the three boats and accountability was difficult due to that and being in the dark.
            Johnny Lloyd
            John "Johnny" Lloyd
            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
            SCAR
            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I know there was a plan for Co. C to register as one, but that good idea fell apart.
              Last edited by Huck; 04-03-2012, 04:44 PM.
              Aka
              Wm Green :D
              Illegitimi non carborundum
              (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
              Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Vasquez View Post
                A gentleman on flickr with the username "mikerhicks" has many photos of the Saturday morning staging and etc. They are very, very good.

Photos from the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh. These are photos of reenactors portraying the 15 Iowa arriving as reinforcements at the Battle of Shiloh. They boarded a Riverboat at Corinth and unloaded adjacent to the park. This group of 400 then marched 6 miles across the park over to the reenactment site. They joined in the battle in the afternoon.

(I pulled 7 ticks off myself Sunday evening that were not on me Saturday night, and found another on me this PM, all deer ticks. Appointment tomorrow AM for Lyme disease testing.)

Alexander Vasquez
                Co. C, 15 IA
                GREAT pictures of the 15th Iowa...you guys looked awesome, sounds like everyone had a good time. Sorry to have missed it.
                Robert F. Wallace
                38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
                North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

I will second the comment on ammo. Two of the "arsenal packs" I received had barely a pinch of powder rolled in a tube the size of a cigarette. The other three had enough powder in them to blow the crater at Petersburg. Shame on who ever rolled those half-assed abominations. You know who you are.
                  Everything else rocked! Thanks guys for an awesome weekend.
                  Scott House

Comment

Two days layer I still am having trouble finding the words to describe how completely amazing this event was. I did not want to leave on Sunday, I just wished it could keep going...

Some of the details that really left a profound impression on me:
                    - The excitement on the eyes of all the guys on the bus as they/we started the adventure.
                    - Camping on the foregrounds of the mansion and the violin performance of "Ashokan Farewell".
                    - Watching the steamboat appear out of the mist on the Tennessee River approach, really getting in the mood.
                    - Eating a hot meal by candlelight on the bottom deck of the boat in the presence of Colonel Woodburn and most of his staff.
                    - Standing near the bow of the boat watching the moon crack through the clouds and realizing we would not get wet that night.
                    - Finally debarking at the real landing spot with the drum corps in full swing and then finally finding a place to bed down for the night.
                    - Hearing countless men march up the hill all night long.
                    - Waking up to the dawn on Saturday and looking at so many dedicated reenactors and living historians, there were fine men everywhere.
                    - When the battalion formed for the march and you could finally see everyone. The tall hats with the Jefferson Eagles where breath taking.
                    - Seeing the regiment's FLAGS in the sun and wind for the first time. They were simply amazing!
                    - Marching past a row of cannon in the park in which my late grandfather and I have a picture from a visit when I was a boy.
                    - Marching past the Iowa monument.
                    - Getting in the more difficult parts of the march, I was happy no one was seriously hurt in the heat and toil of it all, but the toughness and exertion was very realistic.
                    - The confusion, aggravation, and frustration of the battle...
                    - The battalion volley.
                    - Arriving at camp on Saturday and realizing that I had made it and still had the energy to have a great time on Saturday night/Sunday morning. ;)
                    - The whiskey ration.
                    - Watching the big storm roll through, pass over and rage in the distance while listening to the fife and drum corps just kill it!!!!! YOU BOYS HAVE SOME CHOPS!!!!
                    - Sleeping like a log in a tent while being historically accurate!
                    - Watching the tents being taken down on Sunday morning and being very sad that this massive effort was coming to a close.
                    - All the men cheering us as we marched to the Sunday battle.
                    - Our utter DISPLAY of STRENGTH on the field on Sunday in where we could have just swept the entire reb army off the field.
                    - The chants and cheers as we made our last "punch"!

I never imagined I could have been so completely satisfied with an event until now. The unity and togetherness of so many like minded individuals was very fulfilling and I hope it can be duplicated again. I don't think the our side of the hobby has ever been so strong so thank you to everyone for that.

Lastly, I cannot imagine the amount of preparation, organization, planning and hard work that went in to making this happen. I'm not sure if there is any way I or anyone else could truly thank Matt and all the staff for the experience that they made happen. Thank you guys so very very much.

Remember the 15th Iowa!!!
                    ET's iPhone pictures 413.JPGET's iPhone pictures 410.JPG
                    Regards,
                    Eliot Toscano
                    Independent Brute
                    Putting on no style...

"Six children from the local village appeared wearing [U][B]fallacious accoutrements & reprehensible baggage [/B][/U]and thought they would put a sham battle on for our amusement. We laughed so hard at their imitation of soldiers that our sides were hurting for hours."
                    A.R. Crawford in the 76th Illinois Infantry, Co D - April 1863 - The origin of FARB

Comment

135th Shiloh was my first event 15 years ago, and this was a happy (and much less muddy) reprise.

Our arrival on Friday was a bit disjointed, and it was tough being orphaned at the Savannah boat landing until we could be reunited with the rest of Co. E on Saturday morning. Feelings of isolation were exacerbated by the fact that other companies launch as a nearly full contingent.

I have never fallen in with such a large battalion before. The uniformity of impressions and the professionalism of the men was impressive. I was proud to have been a part of that. It was also great to see so many folks from East & West united in a single battalion. That alone was worth it.

A battalion "eyes right/left" or halting to present arms at the Cemetery, Iowa Monument & Hornet's Nest would have been welcome.

The Saturday march was not easy. Having water pre-staged at Shiloh Church and the large meadow before the stream would have been welcome. The absence of water-wizard Charles Heath was conspicuous on that account.

The just-in-time water supply was exacerbated by the miniscule issuance of three crackers early Saturday AM for the remainder of the day until we arrived in camp. Had I known, I would have brought additional rations.

Our performance during the two battle scenarios was excellent. I have no complaints, and the rounds I was issued were quality. I am, however, glad that I brought an additional thirty caps. They served the rest of the company well - especially because six-wing caps were in several bundles I saw.

The "Illinois" camp was a great idea, though I believe the camp was picked over before Company E arrived on its street. One box was pilfered from our tent, and most of the quality detritus had disappeared. I don't know if that was because of other companies in the battalion, or because other folks picked through the camp while we were gone. I fear the latter.

It would have been nice to know there was a sutler. That fact was not made known to us in Company E. That goes double for the whiskey barrel.

Marching past the federal side on Sunday was quite memorable. It was great to see the response we got.

I owe folks an apology for singing "Battle Cry of Freedom". I thought the song was from the Spring of '62, but post-event research shows that it was not published until July '62. Apologies for the anachronism.

I had a great time, and I had the opportunity to say hello to nearly everyone I've ever met in 15 years of reenacting all at one event.

So, what's next?
                      Robert Carter
                      69th NYSV, Co. A
                      justrobnj@gmail.com
                      www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Tipton View Post
                        Another great moment, although not exactly period, was when one of the Confederate units came through our camp during parade on Sunday. They were making a racket, yelling, hooting and hollering and not one man in the 15th Iowa responded. Without any orders from the officers, all of us watched them without saying a word. I don't think I have ever been a part of a more professional group of soldiers in the field.
                        I thought the same exact thing!
                        Last edited by travelar; 04-03-2012, 06:40 PM. Reason: Forgot quote
                        Curtis Kyer
                        ckyer7@sbcglobal.net

Comment

I pulled two ticks off me during the event. Four more appeared during the trip home in the car after they climbed out of our gear.
                          Robert Carter
                          69th NYSV, Co. A
                          justrobnj@gmail.com
                          www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Nation Boys View Post
                            Matt,

Although I could not make it down with you boys you all looked perfect! Last weekend was one of the toughest weekends in my life. Ask my wife and she will tell you that emotionally I was a wreck.

Even though I wasn't there with you all my spirit was! My only hope is that something on this scale will happen again so that I can experience it!

All the best,
                            Holler
                            Holler,

I am glad you kept on us to attend the event. Not our normal cup of coffee but the march through the battlefield is something that will last a lifetime. Many thanks the the Hairy Nation, Col. Woodburn and his staff, and all the good impressions and attitudes from those in the 15th Iowa. As someone whom has had a hand in hosting a few events, the event preparation on this was out of this world. I am amazed just thinking about it. Congrats to the WIG on a fine adjunct. Althought most of my comrades really did not desire the battles, the Sunday afternoon depiction with other units cheering us on will be another fine moment from the event.

To my comrades is Company H - it was a pleasure to serve with you. Thanks for taking serveral Hard Heads into your fold when Company C was filled within a few days. Jordan Ricketts, Eric Fair, and Wick were top rail the entire weekend.
                            Tom Klas
                            Hard Head Mess
                            Citizens Guard

Comment

I am still trying to process the event and all I can say is that I am still overwhelmed by all that was experienced this weekend!

I have been searching for different photos/videos of us from the weekend and I stumbled across this one on Youtube that has us on the field on Saturday after we came through the small treeline separating the two battle fields. The video is taken by someone to our front left and has about a minute of us firing, a short cut to their guys (several are watching us), and then goes back to us for a battalion volley. Our footage starts at 1:20 and the volley is at 2:47.

I went to Shiloh, TN for the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh. Epicness!
                              Chris Bopp

Comment

I was hot, tired, wet, cold, thirsty and hungry. I felt like a real soldier and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Thank you, to all who helped to make this such a wonderful event! I would also like to thank Beverly Simpson, Raquelle Echelberger and Kathleen Heitman for preparing a hot meal and having it ready for Company E when we arrived in camp Saturday.
                                Tyler Underwood
                                Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                                Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X