1st Virginia Inf co. A. Soldiers grave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Virginia Inf co. A. Soldiers grave

While visiting my mother & dads graves here in Orange City Florida, I found a grave of a soldier in the 1st Virginia Co. A (Richmond Grays). I checked the unit history and it said co. A was transferred to 12th Virginia and the 1st lacked a company A. Wondering why his grave would be marked as 1st Virginia unless he mustered out very early on? His last name was MEADE. If anyone has a roster for either unit I am curious if he is on either units roll? Jim Hensley
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
    Order of Heptasophs 1852

Re: 1st Virginia Inf co. A. Soldiers grave

He may have been in the pre-war Richmond Greys, but there are none listed on the roster of the war-time unit. There is one Mead. There are four (4) Meades (David, Henry, John, & Theophilus) in the 12th VA, but a first name is needed to assist you more as far as service record.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Re: 1st Virginia Inf co. A. Soldiers grave

Henry N. Meade is his name. Jim Hensley
      [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
      Order of Heptasophs 1852

Comment

Working...
      X