M1816

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1816

I recently came into an 1816 Springfield (Pedersoli Repro) in flint, having desired one for some time. I must say that it is an impressive reproduction, and it seems as though they have put the correct brass sight on the weapon too.

Has anyone any experience with the Pedersoli 1816s, any issues, problems, would like hear anyone's feedback.

Regards,

S Dolan
    Samuel K. Dolan
    1st Texas Infantry
    SUVCW

Re: M1816

Except for the usual temperamental nature of the beast (hang fires, flash in the pan and no spark), on mine I have had issues with the hammer stall catching on the flint and dumping my pan. I have tried several different hammer stalls and it is always the same thing. I am not sure if it is an issue of the hammer stall, the frizen or the hammer. Other than that, they are a lot of fun and I enjoy firing it.

Steve Black
    Steve Black

Comment

That model is one we use alot for 2nd Seminole War down here in Florida, and the most talked about problem is having to reharden the frizzen and usually some mainspring issues. As with every product, some people have had issues and others had them working fine right out of the box.
      Ross L. Lamoreaux
      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Gentlemen,

I appreciate your advise here. I am very excited about this musket.

-S. Dolan
        Samuel K. Dolan
        1st Texas Infantry
        SUVCW

Comment

Hallo!

Spoiler Alert!
          Reading further may counter euphoria and rain somewhat on the parade. ;) :)

The Pedersoli reproduction is a well made piece, but as with the Italian reproductions it can suffer from the randomness of Italian "quality control" issues. As well as the bulkiness and beefed up components.
          It appears that Pedersoli did not use an original M1822, but rather cleverly marketed by modifying their "Charleville" musket to be an "M1816." (for example, the band locations are off, particularly for the middle band). As is the 1816 dated lockplate.

Not picking on it, or picking it apart, just that for the money in the era of the falling U.S. Dollar and the rising Euro, one can sometimes find an unrestored or even restored original conversion for the same or less money (unaltered flintlocks are rarer and more costlier, although the last one I bought I paid $700 for).

As a result, or its problems and price, IMHO, it would not rate as an "impressive reproduction."

Others' knowledge of the M1822, and mileage will vary...

Curt
          Who had the Pedersoli flint and the percussion alteration versions Mess
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt,

Your warnings greatly appreciated. Thus far I am happy with the piece. In addition to the correct brass sight (something I think they have only recently begun doing), they have also gone with a very nice oiled stock finish, rather than the heavy laquer or shiny stocks found on other reproductions. I will have to more closely examine some original examples to see what other defarbing this piece may require.

-S Dolan
            Samuel K. Dolan
            1st Texas Infantry
            SUVCW

Comment

I'll echo Curt's comments. The musket is quite expensive as reproductions go and does not accurately reproduce the original. I had one and sold it because the inaccuracies bugged me and was able to pick up an original musket with bayonet for a net $0 out of pocket.

Also, a friend of mine has on and is currently having issues with the hammer only falling to half-cock (rather than striking the nipple) when the trigger is pulled.
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
              X