Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great CDV of a Federal recruit in his new uniform...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great CDV of a Federal recruit in his new uniform...

I just wanted to share this terrific image I came across of a Connecticut volunteer in his brand new army duds; love the way he displays that hat (notice the federal issue shirt as well).
    Attached Files

Re: Great CDV of a Federal recruit in his new uniform...

I like the casual way he's folded back the top to make a different look to his "lapels." Wonder if he traded around to get a fairly good fit to his trowsers and blouse or if he was just the "right size" that the government thought a soldier was supposed to be?
    Thanks for sharing.
    Paul Hadley
    Paul Hadley

Comment

Hi,

Mr. Hadley makes a good point, that the uniform he is wearing fits him well. Does anyone know how common Civil War soldiers traded uniforms around? Another thing I was wondering was did soldiers wear their colars like that in the field or was that more of a thing done for photographs. Because I have been always told that when you are inspected that your top button of your coat must be buttoned.
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Is there any ID to this CDV?
        [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"]Matt Reardon[/FONT][/SIZE]
        [FONT="Trebuchet MS"]"River Rat Mess"[/FONT]
        8th Connecticut Volunteers

[B]Executive Director
        New England Civil War Museum
        Rockville, Connecticut
        [url]www.newenglandcivilwarmuseum.com[/url][/B]

Comment

I wonder when this guy came into the army. As I recall, CT. was one of the states that took it upon itself to clothe its own soldiers for quite some time into the war. I remember reading about new regiments at Antietam who entirely had dark blue trousers since that's what the state had given them.
          Andrew Roscoe,
          The Western Rifles - An Authentic Civil War mess in PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC
          24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry
          Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by ajroscoe View Post
            I wonder when this guy came into the army. As I recall, CT. was one of the states that took it upon itself to clothe its own soldiers for quite some time into the war. I remember reading about new regiments at Antietam who entirely had dark blue trousers since that's what the state had given them.
            Yep, Connecticut supplied its troops according to the 1858 US Army uniform (dark blue trousers, frock coats with CT buttons and forage caps). Even new regiments shipped off in time for Antietam ,14th and 16th CVI, were still issued that uniform while in the state.

There's a humorous story related in the regimental history of the 14th Connecticut when they were in Harpers Ferry after seeing the elephant at Antietam. Some of the boys went on a stealing rampage, trying to be sly. Unfortunately for them they were the only regiment in Harpers Ferry that were still wearing dark blue trousers so the civilians easily and quickly went to the 14th's field officers to complain.

BB
            Bill Backus

Comment

Working...
            X