Lincoln Assasination Witness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln Assasination Witness

I haven't done a search to see if this has ever been posted, however I have a feeling it probably hasn't been. I was browsing you tube and found an absolutely unreal video. This is a segment of the old TV show "To Tell The Truth" with host Gary Moore. This show was probably from the 1950's and Featured in this segment is a 97 year old man who's secret, which the pannel has to guess, is he was present at Fords theater and witnessed the assasination of Abraham Lincoln. If you haven't seen this check it out, it is very cool.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: Lincoln Assasination Witness

Funny thing Ken... I haven't been on the AC in a few days... I come across this and it's really helpful to have seen this!

Monday of next week I am going to play John Wilkes Booth in a special for PBS, coming soon. :wink_smil

Totally blown away that this guy takes a spill and comes to the show with a shiner! haha What a trooper! :D

Thanks!
    Guy W. Gane III
    Casting Director/Owner
    Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
    49th NYVI Co. B
    The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

That was fantastic! I'm a teacher, and I'm always trying to emphasize that one hundred or a hundred and fifty years ago really isn't that long...especially if they get back into their family histories. That little clip brought that whole concept thundering home and was a pleasure to watch. BTW, I really liked when they showed what the secret was, and the audience gasped out loud! As for more historical interest, how'd you all like the prize the man got at the end...sure wouldn't see that anymore.

Neil Randolph
      1st WV

Comment

That was a very cool video, thanks for sharing it. :)

Originally posted by nrandolph View Post
        As for more historical interest, how'd you all like the prize the man got at the end...sure wouldn't see that anymore.

Neil Randolph
        1st WV
        That prize was surprising. It was also unusual to see the host smoking during the program, heh.
        Ron Mueller
        Illinois
        New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
        Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
        Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Abrams View Post
          That prize was surprising. It was also unusual to see the host smoking during the program, heh.
          Keep in mind that a cigarette company was the show's sponsor.
          Bernard Biederman
          30th OVI
          Co. B
          Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
          Outpost III

Comment

In the early days of Television tobacco companies did a lot of TV sponsoring. You can still watch Andy Griffith light up an occasional cigarette as he sits on his front porch with Barney, Opie and aunt Bee.
            [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              In the early days of Television tobacco companies did a lot of TV sponsoring. You can still watch Andy Griffith light up an occasional cigarette as he sits on his front porch with Barney, Opie and aunt Bee.
              You bet. In addition to the folks in "Mayberry," you won't believe who else was pushing coffin nails to the public:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQL007cV5qk (this is just one of several they made!)

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Thank God for YouTube!!!!
                [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"]Jason Thibodeaux[/FONT][/SIZE]
                Independent Rifles
                Swamp Angels
                Pelican Civil War Lodge #1861

Comment

By the way, Andy smoked "Lucky Strike", no filter.
                  Tim Blackmon
                  Hedgesville Blues
                  SHOCKER MESS

Comment

Hey mark, thanks for the links. very entertaining. And further proof not to believe everything you see on T.V.
                    Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                    Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Sir, I was born in 1951 and may well have seen this to begin with and no reason to believe its untrue. What gets me is the rememberance of the funeral of my oldest relative who passed at 98 in the late 50s is the touch I had to her was the same she had to those before her. Not to be out there but its a pretty transcendent feeling, another link in the chain. Sure took me back, thanks for the ride.
                      Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                      Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                      Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                      www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Originally posted by markj View Post
                        You bet. In addition to the folks in "Mayberry," you won't believe who else was pushing coffin nails to the public.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
                        Even the government. Back in the early 1980s when I was in Army recruiting (not a recruiter but on the support side producing posters, etc) we had many historical posters around the office, one of which was a Lucky Strike magazine ad from around 1910 titled "Reach for a Lucky instead of a sweet" in which a general testified that he always recommended his men light up a smoke rather than eating a piece of candy. And of course Army rations through the Vietnam era included little packs of cigarettes ... But given that they were usually something really awful like unfiltered Chesterfields or Camels (my dad's smoke of choice for years thanks to getting them free in World War II) it may have been reverse psychology. Nothing like getting sick off a smoke to help turn you away from the demon weed. :D
                        "the regulars always do well, and seldom get any credit, not belonging to any crowd of voters"

Darrell Cochran
                        Third U.S. Regular Infantry
                        http://buffsticks.us

Comment

That was really neat, I especially like his consolation prize of a either a carton of Winstons or the can of pipe tobacco...can you imagine now a days giving away smokes on tv?
                          [I]Chris Bauer[/I]

Comment

That was awesome. Thanks for posting that link.
                            I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
                            Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
                            Hard Head Mess
                            Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
                            Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Working...
                            X