Reproduction Gutta Percha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproduction Gutta Percha

I know this is a long shot but I'm working on a project for a class in casting and molding and trying to reproduce a few original gutta percha jewelry pieces. The problem is that I haven't found a product that looks anywhere close and I've even managed to stump my teacher. There are some products I think might work but I don't exactly have the time or money to be tying random things right now So....does anyone know what people do make reproductions out of??? If you help me and my grades out I'd really appreciate it and may even bake you cookies!
    Maggie Halberg
    Milwaukee, WI

Re: Reproduction Gutta Percha

Appears there's a shortage of the gutta-percha, but some are trying this:

I A decoction of birch bark is first prepared, the external bark by preference, being evaporated. The thick, black residue hardens on exposure to the air, and ...

Good luck.
    Paul Hadley
    Paul Hadley

Comment

The question is; do you wish the appearance of gutta percha and feel or the actual composition?
      I have several items of 19th century gutta percha and actually am enamoured with it.
      I have a flask, knife and fork and ink bottle from the period and reproductions. Combs made of hard rubber can still be found occasionaly on the open market.
      The most obvious sign of hard rubber is, when exposed to moisture, they will discolor.
      I have found a modern plastic that very closely resembles the original in strength and color. If you are willing to go this way, I would forward the name of the manufacturer.
      It is modern but looks right and is probably safer.
      I attempt to attach an image of a plate that I reproduced.

Erik Simundson
      4th Mich. Co. C.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00332.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	217696
      Erik Simundson

Comment

A fellow from my N-SSA unit and his wife have been selling some at the Clothing shows in G=Burg. Try Steven at Sharps45100@comcast.net
        Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
          Combs made of hard rubber can still be found occasionaly on the open market.
          I was going to suggest finding a modern comb marked hard rubber, but are hard rubber and gutta percha truly the same thing? Or was one substituted for the other enough that the names became interchangeable?

Anyway, several years ago I wanted to make a gutta percha ring while portraying a prisoner of war, where there evidence such a thing was done. I bought a modern comb marked hard rubber at a dollar store type place, broke off the teeth, heated the spine and bent it. By heating it more, it melted to a liquid and could be soldered to itself, then I used a knife to carve it. So it seemed to perform as it should, though I don't know how modern hard rubber actually compares to period hard rubber, as far as the manufacturing process goes.

Hank Trent
          hanktrent@voyager.net
          Hank Trent

Comment

Working...
          X