An Interactive Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Interactive Map

I have taken on the challenge of making an interactive map. My original plan was to create a virtual map of the United States and program the map so that when you click on locations you can view Civil War battle information/timeline for that particular area. It has gotten more detailed. Now my plan is to fix this to be useful for Progressive reenactors. I would like to design the map so that when you click on states a state map will pop up seperated by counties. When you click on the county several resources about the units/uniform/reg. history etc. will be available. You may also be able to view a list of units from the area, pictures, and other first person sources where available. What are your ideas? Would you be interested in submitting your unit or any research? Is there anything else I should consider including? This is in the early stages. I plan to accept information soon and create the map over the summer. It would be great for a living historian to find an event they want to attend by looking at a map....browsing over thier region, click on local "pins" and finding nearby events. Then that person could pull up the information by location and find very good sources of the impression! Lots of directions to take this. Looking forward to feedback and hopefully later taking information or county requests!
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Re: An Interactive Map

Luke,

If you have the time to do the mind-numbing entry work, it might be neat to be able to see and/or access the 1860 census data for each county.

respectsm
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

Kinda like this? http://java.nationalgeographic.com/maps/civilwar/
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
        Yes very similar to that! I'd like to perfect it for the progressive reenactor though. For instance, I grew up in a very small town. Back home, they have recently started yearly event there called "battle of cranesnest". It would be nice to click on VA, click on Wise Co. and get a timeline accompanied by a "guideline" for uniform federal and confederate. It would be nice to find drawings and/or pictures as well to give some sort of visual example.
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Working...
        X